Sacred Gold Capped at 40fps?

Hi again!

I was now able to purchase a cheap laptop for myself after 8 years xD

I reinstalled Sacred gold and I also have fraps.

I noticed that the game is max capped at 40fps super zoomed and half zoomed. And at max zoom I get 20fps.

I can play sacred 2 at 50+ fps on this machine.

Anything that I can tweak to increase fps?

Specs:

i5 / Intel HD 4000 / 4gb Ram / Windows 7 64bit

be glad, that you can play Sacred 2...

the problem is the HD 4000 which has got non or only little dedicated video ram and uses mostly shared ram.

so the 4 gb ram are probably too low for more

a lot of games even older ones wouldn't run on this system due to the "graphic card"

I find strange that Sacred 2 runs à 50+ fps while Sacred 1 not. Try to lower settings by launching the Config.exe program that you can find where you have installed the game or by editing the settings.cfg (at the same place). For example try 16bits colors instead of 32, try disabling AA, etc... All I can see unfortunatly, but even at 30fps it plays fine I think. Good luck.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the engine itself is hardcoded to 30FPS at all times. The refresh rate for the on-screen resolution of 1024x768 is at most 60FPS, but it doesn't change the game's native FPS rendering even in the situations where there are solid 59-60FPS on-screen. 

With the possibility to somehow change the native(engine) fps , each motion would have to change drastically and at the best case scenario the game itself would just be twice the speed, similarly to how it is with the "unlocked" modern games of today. Trying to change such things would first lead to some weird graphical glitches and bugs with the texture and then would make some animations to act wonky. In all cases, a terrible idea.

Start from 5:37 to see what I mean

Edited by Serboi
  • Like! 1

A well stated and supported, righteous fact, sir!  Sacred 2 is an interesting game which I bought at a discount sale some years ago.  I had the same issues getting it to run then as I am having with the steam supported title I bought very recently.  I could not use the title I had previously bought because this laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive and attempting to copy the game to a jump drive or an SD card would be like trying to hack a game title that I used to pursue, and most times it was all for not, hence I bought the steam offering.  It has some very interesting physics that I did not immediately notice playing the vanilla version from the DVD.  However, a patch that was nearly the same size as the vanilla caused the game to display enhanced graphics that were very compelling.  I have a bunch of life experience in technology and the KISS Rule + Don't Fix It If It Is NOT broken & The Unknown Unknown all apply here.  Everything in life worth having requires patience and a sensible acceptance.  Just because a mod enhanced a game experience does not make the mod's concept applicable else where.  As OP said, start @ 5:37.

Edited by nilrem
Clarify a point.
  • Like! 1