Does leveling special mount gives only disadvantage ?

Hi :)

I play Furian's Ultimate SW build, earned quite nice survival bonus, I ride my special mount all the time and it never died. It's now 13 levels higher than me and cooldown penalty is 60% while my friend, who dies often has lesser differency in levels with his mount and have cooldown penalty 50%.

So my question is – What's the point in leveling special mount ?

I have cash and could buy new - lower level - one from time to time but I have warm – veterancy - feeling for the current one.

I studied wiki (riding, mounts, tables) and some topics and I'm no wiser.

By the way – I play softcore and I love riding so can I take riding instead of damage lore in Furian's USW build (I chose Vit / Str atributes after 50 level). I quite understand the machanics for this choice but I'm not sure about the final effect, so simply answer will be sufficient ;D

Happy New Year !!

PS I play Ice and Blood plus Community Patch.

Edited by Nifiash

@lujate – thank you for fast and helpful answer :)

Good point with a retirement for a mount every new difficulty.

If you can tell me one more thing (my English wasn't good enough to get a clue from the wiki) – what is the difference between Ice & Blood mounts and the Community Patch ones from the vanilla ?

Edited by Nifiash

In I&B each class has three mounts to choose from, one for each CA aspect. The base S2FA had a fourth generic mount for each class. The CM patch restores that fourth mount.

• Like! 1

Community Patch actually restores all 4 of the original Fallen Mounts, so alongside the 3 from Ice and Blood, the player can choose from 7 mounts at the vendor.

The names of the Ice and Blood mounts are also somewhat different. Battle Monitor/Monitor Lizard, Shadow Spider/Shroud Spider, Fey Drake/Wind Serpent.

The Ice and Blood mounts also have different armors and saddles. The Fallen Angel versions all have the same generic saddle.

If you want to look at them all side by side you can check the individual Wiki pages for Mounts.

• Like! 1

Check the wording on the Mount's tool tip. Shadow Warrior's Malevolent Champion Hellhound says "Regen all combat arts +300%", but it also says "Regen all Malevolent Champion combat arts -300%". Does something similar apply in your case?

• Like! 1

podgie_bear, thanks for answer; I'm sorry if I didn't get the correct point – I nowhere see such big numbers.

My SW is lv 66 (no buffs) and mount is 79, total riding skill 8 and it's +41.5 all & -33.3 Death Warrior; in the shop mount lv is 70 and it's +36.3 & -33.3 (numbers are same for all clases on that level).

As it was advised, I'm investing in RpH and the penalty is less punishing now.

Edited by Nifiash

You have the right idea with retiring your old mounts. The way mounts "level up" is entirely a bad thing, it just means the regeneration penalty from using them goes up. When you first them buy them, the aspect regeneration may balance the penalty, but the penalty will keep increasing while the bonus will not. So selling the old mounts and buying a new one is usually best, you just have to make sure you have the money.

• Like! 1

You have the right idea with retiring your old mounts. The way mounts "level up" is entirely a bad thing, it just means the regeneration penalty from using them goes up. When you first them buy them, the aspect regeneration may balance the penalty, but the penalty will keep increasing while the bonus will not. So selling the old mounts and buying a new one is usually best, you just have to make sure you have the money.

Great explanation, sometimes the mechanics are tough to get into actual play, but your really made it clear here on what's happening and how to make the best of it

:)

gogo