Two Modding Questions

Hey all, so right now I'm playing a three aspect Dragon Mage at around 50 in gold and really really enjoying it. Nobody ever mentioned in the wiki that the animation for Dragon Strike is so epic that it makes the whole toon worth it! It reminds me of something out of Golden Axe lol.

Anyway, so I do have a couple questions. I'm enjoying playing with the Community mod, but I liked the monster population from the Diablo full conversion mod. Eventually I want to play those classes in the D2 mod, but right now I'm enjoying standard classes. But I'd like to play against the mobs from the D2 mod. So if anyone can help me with how I can arrange my files to do that, I would appreciate the help.

My second question is more of a query. I'm toying with the idea of making a mod when I hit 100 that will rearrange the difficulties to make level bronze as difficult as Niobium and then scale up from there until Niobium starts at like 160. All I'd have to do is erase campaign progress in the character editor and I could take my toon through 5 new, more extreme difficulties. I think it would be fairly easy to accomplish, but I was curious if it would be something anyone else would be interested in. I won't start until I get to 100, so it will probably be a few weeks before I consider actually making a mod.

Anyway, so I do have a couple questions. I'm enjoying playing with the Community mod, but I liked the monster population from the Diablo full conversion mod. Eventually I want to play those classes in the D2 mod, but right now I'm enjoying standard classes. But I'd like to play against the mobs from the D2 mod. So if anyone can help me with how I can arrange my files to do that, I would appreciate the help.

Hey man. I've given this some thought myself. But it can't be done without weeks of meticulous effort. New monsters from D2F use a ton of different scripts and resources. You would have to copy every single entry for every single new monster (and the items they use) within 18 different script files and carefully paste each one into the vanilla scripts. You would also have to make sure you copied over all the applicable textures and models. Then you would have to decode the vanilla global.res, paste all the new and changed creature names from the decoded D2F global.res into the proper places, and reencode the file.

An alternative would be to just copy the vanilla spell entries for each character into the D2F spells.txt. But then every other aspect of the game would still be D2F, including all the texture changes and redesigns. Plus you'd still have to swap in all the old icons and sound effects, decode global.res and change back the text entries for each combat art and each modification, not to mention the class names...

It would take me weeks to do either one, which is why I haven't done it. The mod is a knitted-together whole. Pull at one thread trying to extract something and the whole thing comes unraveled.

Hey man. I've given this some thought myself. But it can't be done without weeks of meticulous effort. New monsters from D2F use a ton of different scripts and resources. You would have to copy every single entry for every single new monster (and the items they use) within 18 different script files and carefully paste each one into the vanilla scripts. You would also have to make sure you copied over all the applicable textures and models. Then you would have to decode the vanilla global.res, paste all the new and changed creature names from the decoded D2F global.res into the proper places, and reencode the file.

An alternative would be to just copy the vanilla spell entries for each character into the D2F spells.txt. But then every other aspect of the game would still be D2F, including all the texture changes and redesigns. Plus you'd still have to swap in all the old icons and sound effects, decode global.res and change back the text entries for each combat art and each modification, not to mention the class names...

It would take me weeks to do either one, which is why I haven't done it. The mod is a knitted-together whole. Pull at one thread trying to extract something and the whole thing comes unraveled.

Yeah, I figured it would take a lot of work in a lot of different files. I guess it will give me something to look forward to for when I play your mod again. I vastly prefer the creatures in that mod, as it balances the areas much better and provides more challenge and interest throughout the zones.