lol.. your game reviews are so detailed and storied... always liked reading them :lol: What got me was the title... RimWorld... is this at all connected to the old old science fiction story of a massive ring orbiting a sun ... kind of like ellysium>?

I like this game's sense of humor... got the feeling you'll be in for a lot of surprises

:bounce:

gogo

lol.. your game reviews are so detailed and storied... always liked reading them :lol: What got me was the title... RimWorld... is this at all connected to the old old science fiction story of a massive ring orbiting a sun ... kind of like ellysium>?

I like this game's sense of humor... got the feeling you'll be in for a lot of surprises

:bounce:

gogo

oopps I made a booboo... not rim world...ringworld :4rofl: ... this is a wholly new beast!

:)

gogo

Oh, man, the glorious, frustrating, and gloriously frustrating times I had with this one! I avoided it for quite a while, just like Knuckles, because of the minimalistic graphics. However, curiosity got the best of me. I love building games of any kind; from Eden Star to Empyrion, Planet Explorers, Subsistence and Rising World... I have a ton of them. Now Conan Exiles is a different story, it has too much NSFW content for me to talk about here. Anyway, what was so refreshing was that colonists have relationships, games like Kenshi got a tiny bit stale when none of my men and women do so much as look at each other. The store page wasn't lying when it said it was a story generator. Dude, you are in for some serious laughs, as well as a few profanities whispered under your breath.

The only truly frustrating part I found w this game was that my colonists had the Worst freaking timing. One of my couples broke up, the guy goes on some type of bender (can't remember exactly what it was), gets himself all unhinged, and goes on a shooting rampage. That was a pain by itself, but the dude chose a time when there was some serious crap going on outside of my walls to have his little breakdown. I don't know how many times I've said "Dude, do you not see the crap going on outside? You want to cause chaos on both sides of the wall?"

Good times, man, good times :)

• Like! 1

The reviews for the game are what convinced me. It wasn't the typical 'best game I've played in years' or the 'game is a steal at this price'. It was the reviews that simply told a story of what happened in the first few weeks or months. Some of them were pretty crazy and almost all were hilarious.

Typically in a game I'll play hardcore, or a version I call soft-hardcore. If my character dies, usually I won't play them anymore...I just lose interest in that build, but at least I get to keep all his gear. Usually when I 'fail' I will start another character and revise it so I won't be as weak in whatever stat caused me to die on the previous one.

But this game is different. Failure is actually pretty entertaining. It can be frustrating too lol...like when everything happens at once...like getting an eclipse, heat wave and mad elephant all at once. Really thought I was doomed. But I managed to get through it. The alpaca actually caused the most probs.

Once the elephant collapsed from blood loss, I sent just my best hunter out a side door and she finished off the elephant. I thought I only unbarred this one door and I could see it on the screen the entire time I was taking care of elephant. No one else ever came out, but I start hearing sounds of combat.

I start looking around and see other colonists have decided to leave the base through another door even though its still barred. I guess Extreme Mental Risk will cause them to ignore orders and do their own thing. Only problem was the alpaca was out there and the first couple through the door had zero fighting ability.

The alpaca killed two..the useless pessimist (no big loss there) but the other was my only doctor. But the other 3 surviving colonists are in dire need of medical and the only healthy person (my elephant hunter who was on other side of map and could have dealt with alpaca much better) has zero aptitude for healing. She tried, but so far 1 has died and not much hope for the other. So I have a hunter that can't grow/harvest or cook. Thinking this might be the end of Knuckleton.

Next go, I will pay much much more attention to personality traits....they actually matter. Even small things like old scars/wounds can have a major effect. I didn't realize they have a permanent negative pain modifier for that character. Add in a negative trait (or 2) like Pessimist, Depressive or Jealous and they are a mental health risk everytime something goes wrong.

This game makes you think, I mean really think about not only their skills, but all their traits, both positive and negative. Some I can get away with like Abrasive. Not a good trait to have, but if they are also a 'Night Owl' I can just have them work the night shift so they don't interact with the other colonists.

Just found out an other thing.....skills can regress....I tried to have colonists good at several tasks so I always had a capable back-up if my main colonist couldn't do the work. Say I had one that had a skill level of 11 in Growing and the other had 7. I set the one with 11 as my primary gardener, and the other only to help out if other tasks were done/primary needed help. But if he doesn't do any Growing for awhile, his skill will decrease. I haven't played long enough to see it. But just another thing to consider when making characters and assigning work priorities.

I see myself playing for a loooong time. Hopefully I'll post a few more stories of my adventures :)

• Like! 1

I dont know whether its the game or your great prose...but really digging the read this morning...specially as warm up to the horribly cold weather we have outside.. Poor Engie you have me rooting for her!

:viking:

gogo

Remembered me when I played Dwarf Fortress and my town leaderess with her excellent charisma, negotiation skills was murdered by an assassin intruder.

The second in command was a big fighter who managed to make the very much needed caravan leave without selling anything of much needed supplies.

I would give Rimworld a try but I fear that it may be as time eating as Dwarf Fortress to know all the little tricks to survive.

• Like! 1

Well that didn't take long. My base was rocked by an explosion and I got a dire warning of a fire.

I had a small building that housed 4 batteries used to store all the solar panel energy. Had 4 batteries inside and one or two of them exploded. The explosion seriously wounded Nate who was nearby and also burned Theo and Skye while they were trying to put out fire. Only Fabio (hey I didn't name him) got through the incident unscathed.

So now 3 to medical (includiing my two skilled at medical though they still should be able to heal everyone), 4 batteries kaput and the building burnt down. Lost all power to base. Guess I need to make a bigger building to give them room to vent/breathe....and not make building out of wood. Temps outside are moderate so not sure what caused battery explosion. Only had the freezer's air coniditioner and a couple lights on, so lt shouldn't have loaded them down.

Sigh.......knew something would happen :P

Edit 1: man oh man has the situation deteriotated quickly Skye was burned pretty bad (burns to her face, torso, both legs and right arm) and now has an infection on her right hand. Nate who was hurt in the explosion is critically wounded with extreme blood loss from a head wound and burns to his face, torso and right leg.

Did I mention Skye and Nate are my 2 doctors :o

Edit 2: 3 of my 4 colonists are in medical.....All have been treated and are recovering but still confined to their beds. I had Skye take care of Nate before I had her rest since Nate was worse off. (I should of immediately had Nate heal Skye in return...something I regret now...continue reading to see why lol)

I still need to contruct all the new batteries and a new building and repair some electrical wiring...need to get power restored or my food is going to spoil soon. So what does Fabio do? Feed the sick? nope...Start building or repairing? nope....even anything productive?....NOPE...Fabio has a much better idea...

Fabio decided we needed to have a party so he's throwing one and invited everyone...only everyone else is injured and in my medical ward....so how many people do you think are at the party?

Yup just Fabio...way to go Fabio....glad you got priorities

Edit 3: Well Skye took a turn for the worst and her infection got so bad I had no other option but to amputate her right hand to save her life....so much for shooting a rifle now. Time for a new job after this. So I schedule an operation and wait for Nate to arrive. But who sneaks in and cuts her hand off.....My amazing Fabio. He of ZERO medical skill decides to do the operation. Thanks Fabio.

Using all the skill and dexterity he never learned, he actually manages to cut off her hand and in doing so inflicts several stab wounds to the rest of her right arm. He sneaks out the back door just as Nate arrives from wherever he was. Nate, hopefully has healed the newest wounds she has and made sure the amputation is ok. Not like I have antibiotics or anything. I wonder what Fabio did with the hand...no...I don't want to know (going back in game to make sure he doesn't have the 'cannibal' trait).

Good job Fabio....you are such a great addition to my little community...here's a gold star sticker just for you

Edit 5: I was kidding about checking Fabio for the 'cannibal' trait....I knew he didn't have it but I guess the game must have heard me.

No lie....5-10 minutes after writing Edit#4, this happened

Got a distress call from someone named Anna. She was being chased by a pirate (least this one had clothes on - looks like the pirates are upgrading) and was asking for sanctuary. I can't see any of her stats before I say yes or no but she's only 28, so I shouldn't have any health issues like 'Frail' 'Bad Back' or 'Cataracts'. I need healthy people right now so I gamble and accept her request and kill the pirate.

So now I'm able look at what Anna is like and immediately notice a couple things.....

She's a.....

Pyromaniac (awesome just awesome....like I don't have enough probs with fire)

And..

And....

And......

yup......she's a Cannibal....c'mon Rimworld cut me a break here...I was only making a joke...you didn't have to make it a reality :P

• Like! 1

Loving the reads. Specially the part about where if you dig into a mountain, there's extra veins of goodies. Knuckles, how you doing with real life though...this game taking over...have you even eaten lately?

:4rofl:

gogo

Remembered me when I played Dwarf Fortress and my town leaderess with her excellent charisma, negotiation skills was murdered by an assassin intruder.

The second in command was a big fighter who managed to make the very much needed caravan leave without selling anything of much needed supplies.

I would give Rimworld a try but I fear that it may be as time eating as Dwarf Fortress to know all the little tricks to survive.

First thing this game made me think of..I remember Harenthal starting up dwarf fortress somewhere (old Admin from SIF) of was it here? A massive post on how he discovered the game...and how long it took to create the world while the computer was whining away on building a unique world... Rim World sounds like a new update!

:)

gogo

Yup I remember Harenthal talking about the game...got me interested enough to at least try it. I do remember it taking forever to generate the map, but I never did much with the game as it had a steep learning curve and I just didn't have the time to invest in learning how it worked.

Work isn't as crazy now and not really playing anything else (little burnt on Grim Dawn..won't play again til expansion), so Rimworld has been taking up much of my free time.

I guess there is a huge modding interest in it too. I've posted a couple times on their forums and the responses will invariably recommend a mod or 2. But I want to play thru the game once on vanilla settings. There may be solutions to my issues that I haven't found yet and installing a mod to fix it seems a little cheesy to me. I'm sure I'll add 1 or 2 that enhance gameplay for me down the road but I need to understand the game better before I do.

Didn't play yesterday I was feeling very poorly but better now and I got all Saturday to figure out my pet issue. They were eating everything in my freezer before I figured out how to restrict them. Sure they will go after my crops now. One of the mods recommended to me, forces the animals to eat only cetain things...but I want to see if I can do that within the vanilla game first. Plus I can always just slaughter them :o Not sure if I get a mood penalty for that...only one way to find out lol. No way I'm keeping 10 cats for too long.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Have several saves going...

One I have 18 huskies....and They. Keep. Breeding. Like Rabbits....daughter won't let me sell any

Another is on toughest diffuculty on sea ice....yes it sounds hard and it is...if you don't do everything exactly in order without any fails, you WILL die the 1st day..

But the one I want to talk about is this one...

Got a pretty good feel for the game so ramped up the difficulty...about a year in and everything is going great....tons of resources, food. Research is going quickly...raiders can't even make it to my door...all my turrets wipe them out long before they are close...

So what could possibly go wrong? Most natural disasters I can handle easily.....but this I wasn't prepared for...and if you get confused by it all, you're not alone...I am perplexed by it all and have no idea what is going to happen.

And now for 'Days of Our Lives', Rimworld style....let's meet the colonists and see what they're up to.

This all happened WITHIN days

M= male

F= female

Trevor and Julie became lovers, but not before Trevor rebuffed Nipz's advances twice. Which led to Nipz(F) going on an eating binge.

Then Chris (M) showed up and wants to sleep with Julie. Julie wants to sleep with Chris but is with Trevor right now.

Nipz has rebuffed Chris twice...so Chris becomes lovers with Erika. And that lasts all of 3 days before Chris breaks up with her. But Erika kept the bedroom and now is in a mental daze and won't come out or eat....she is on the verge of starvation and nothing I can do.

Meanwhile Trevor wants to sleep with Nipz but is with Julie.

Nipz wants to sleep with Trevor but can't and is also jealous of Trevor's and Julie's bedroom which sets off another eating binge.

Julie and Nipz now are rivals and fight every time they can. As soon as they heal up and are cleared from Medical, they go at it and injure each other and are re-admitted right back into Medical...it's a viscious cycle. Luckily Erika emerges from her daze and tends to them...Erika is my only real doctor.

Lastly is Bluebird (female) and my newest colonist. I haven't been able to build her her own bedroom yet as I'm trying to keep the peace with all the others. So she's sleeping in the common room and her sleep keeps getting disturbed by Julie and Nipz fighting. Got so bad she went into a mental daze. But instead of wandering around in the safety of the camp, she wandered outside and was mauled by a bear.

I sent Chris out to save her as he is the quickest and she is very badly hurt...she will die in under 5 hours without medical care. But I only have two medical beds, which are currently occupied with my 2 full-time pugilists, Julie and Nipz. So I kick Julie out of her bed and Chris puts Bluebird in. Erika rushes in and tends to her. And then Chris hits on Bluebird.

I mean c'mon man...she's barely alive....this can wait...Bluebird was conscious enough to rebuff him...so guess who's walking around in a daze now? Yup there goes Chris.....So while I'm trying to keep an eye on him, I hear sounds of fighting (again).

No lie...I have a 3-way fight going on between Bluebird, Nipz and Julie...with Julie emerging victorious in the royal rumble. Bluebird and Nipz are back in bed and got Trevor to come in and make another medical bed for Julie.

And.....Julie just broke up with him......So now Trevor is wandering around in a daze.

This is just crazy....never had all these love triangles and affairs in any other playthrough...might be part of going up in difficulty....

so right now I have 3 being treated for injuries and 2 walking around in a stupor. I have exactly zero sane and healthy colonists at my disposal. Would be a really really bad time for a forest fire or raid to happen right now lol.

• Like! 1

I started that game with 1 husky....after a short while a trader came by with 1 for sale so I bought it. Didn't pay any mind to whether it was male or female. So after a few days I get a notice my female is pregnant. Think that's cool and a few months later she gives birth to twins.

Then the twins grew up and my alpha female was pregnant again and then one of the twins and it kind of snowballed from there. They're running around all over the place. I have only one real animal trainer so they all bonded with him and won't sleep in anyone's room but his. I've had to expand his room twice.

They are eating me out of house and home. Cooking is a 24/7 a day job trying to keep them all fed. One really cool thing is that I can train them to haul stuff. And that is a huge bonus.

Edit: I went to get a screenshot of it and somehow I overwrote the save file so I lost that game. My daughter is going to be sooooo mad lol. But hey, I didn't sell them :P

And yes you can eat ANY animal in the game...the only one you get a penalty for is human meat, unless your colonists have the 'cannibalism' trait

• Like! 1

I started that game with 1 husky....after a short while a trader came by with 1 for sale so I bought it. Didn't pay any mind to whether it was male or female. So after a few days I get a notice my female is pregnant. Think that's cool and a few months later she gives birth to twins.

Then the twins grew up and my alpha female was pregnant again and then one of the twins and it kind of snowballed from there. They're running around all over the place. I have only one real animal trainer so they all bonded with him and won't sleep in anyone's room but his. I've had to expand his room twice.

They are eating me out of house and home. Cooking is a 24/7 a day job trying to keep them all fed. One really cool thing is that I can train them to haul stuff. And that is a huge bonus.

Edit: I went to get a screenshot of it and somehow I overwrote the save file so I lost that game. My daughter is going to be sooooo mad lol. But hey, I didn't sell them :P

And yes you can eat ANY animal in the game...the only one you get a penalty for is human meat, unless your colonists have the 'cannibalism' trait

man, I really dig the detail...they must have all kinds of surprises and abilites "hidden" into the game's dna...kind of reminds me of Sacred when we were first starting out...with no real net sites avialable there where evryone was posting stuff, everything was a delight and discovery... I wonder how long it took them to write all this backstory in

cool that all yer cooks are cooking for the dogs

:lol:

gogo

p.s. hmmm, or maybe you can set them on renegade and they can go out in a pack and hunt down their food?

The way you write about this game makes it sound pretty interesting. The attention to detail seems to be quite impressive, but I'm not sure I'd have the time or the patience to make it through!

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I was becoming a pretty good player.....and have been slowly ramping up difficulty the last few weeks. There are 6 difficulties.

Peaceful

Base Builder

Some Challenge

Rough

Intense

Extreme

Been playing on Rough mostly but decided to skip Intense and go right to Extreme. And not only that but try the 'Extreme Sea Ice Challenge' and 'Extreme Desert Challenge'. And I mean 'try'. It is very humbling to die on your first day (over and over and over). You have to do things in a certain order and pray your colonist doesn't fail any task that first day or you will die...from hypothermia on Sea Ice or heat stroke in Desert. Also pray that the random events aren't catastrophic. Losing power to your air conditioners or heaters can be a death sentence.

So I backed off and just playing Intense in a more forgiving biome rigt now and doing ok. Survived a Volcanic Winter, Toxic Fallout and Blight all at same time. Wasn't pretty but didn't lose anyone. Learned that defenses and micro-managing your colonists during battle are vital to surviving.

I would love to do a 'Let's Play' of me playing the game but I don't have a very good voice for playthroughs and typically I'm quiet anyways until something bad happens and, well, bad things may be said....frequently lol

But if you want to see what can go wrong, check out this Let's Play from Blitz on Youtube. He's playing on an Ice Sheet on Extreme difficulty(not to be confused with Sea Ice which is much harder) and it's from Alpha 11. Game is up to Alpha 16 now so many things have changed but the basic gameplay is pretty close to the same. Each episode is about 30 minutes and there are at least 20 of them.

Watched these when I first started playing and learned a lot. He was rather ambitious with his base building and it ends up hurting him quite a bit until he finally finsihes most of it. Learned you start small, stay small and only gradually increase your base as you acquie more colonists/wealth. Not having enough workers makes every job take forever if you have several things going on at once. It's better to concentrate on 1 or 2 things early on.

In the first video...skip to the 6:15 mark if you want to bypass all the game setup and just want to see gameplay.

• Like! 1