Currently playing

I typically only play a single game at a time. Right now that game is Final Fantasy 14 on PS4.

I'm playing the second Leggo Harry Potter on Xbox with my nephew. When the squad's all present (second nephew plus friend) it's D3 on Xbox.

• Like! 1

I typically do, too. But all of these games (minus Skyrim) are early access. I've discovered that if I stick only to one EA, I'm completely burned out on it by the time it reaches full release. Just for shiggles, if I had to pick one EA as my main game, it'd be Rising World. Skyrim got thrown back in the mix because I am a complete dork for minerals. I mean Complete gemstone dork, I bring new meaning to the term "rock hound".

I didn't know Lego had a game, the ten year old in me is giddy with delight. When I was young, I had a whole Lego village. Damn, were those good times! I had a post office, military barracks, video store, bakery...... I can't wait til my son's old enough to play w them, I have a whole basement for him to lay stuff out in.

I had one Final Fantasy game, all I remember about that one is a type of soccer game played underwater. I'm not too fond of this series type of combat, can't remember what it's called, internet connection in the ole brain must be slow today. I did read that Final Fantasy 15 has a new combat system, comparable to Kingdom Hearts. I have no experience with Kingdom Hearts, think I might do a little research today.

I have another EA I play from time to time: Subsistence. This is another first person survival game. I like this one because it has no monsters or magic, it's like someone dropped you off in the middle of the Dakotas. Wildlife currently consists of bears and wolves. In addition, there are AI hunters who are also building their own bases. There are ammo and medical crates that randomly appear in the world; these are what you mostly depend on early on.

My personal experience with Subsistence: I've rage-quit this game like 50 times, I've never had such frustration with a game I love so much. The game sounds so simple; ward off starvation, dehydration, and hypothermia while searching for these crates to build your base. And that part is. But these freaking bears and wolves are Always on patrol. While it's not impossible to sneak past them, I always end up making a mistake while going after these crates. When you die, you have five minutes to locate your body before it disappears, and it's a lot harder to locate your body than you'd think. In short, overconfidence and lowered guard gets my butt mauled. I've put this one on the shelf for only one reason: while the animals and hunters have impressive AI, animals seem to ignore other hunters right now, I'm waiting for animals to be more hostile towards each other and other hunters. I very much enjoy this game, frustration and all, but I'm going to stop because I can't seem to find the words right now to do the game justice. Internet connection in the ole brain piece must be buggier than I thought today, maybe it's time to switch to decaf for a bit :)

Edited by Gilberticus

Currently playing "Desktop Dungeons" and tearing what's left of my hair out while trying to solve some of the strategy puzzles.

I can't leave them unsolved. I'm a completionist and knowing they aren't finished is like an unscratchable itch!

:oooo:

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Like! 1

Thank you for sharing, Podgie :) While Desktop Dungeons isn't necessarily my type of game, one of the facts I've learned in life is that there is absolutely no useless fact. Knowledge is indeed power, and you never know when knowing the most seemingly useless little tidbit may come in handy. I can also relate to being a completionist , Desktop Dungeons would probably have me yanking at hair, too. While Most of my hair remains, I have a nice little UFO crop circle starting on top of my big ole melon.

• Like! 1

We have "currently.." threads for books, movies, food, but I haven't seen a "currently playing" category. I know we have a new and general games category, but those threads deal with one game at a time. Plus, I'm horrible at reviews. So, rather than giving a factual review of one game at a time, I thought I'd start an easy, breezy list of some of the games I currently play; my personal experiences with them. Some of them are early access, some of them are old games that I've found new reasons to play.

1) Exanima:

An early access rouguelike dungeon crawler with a deep, physics based combat system. To be honest, I don't play the story mode, I discovered that I don't like dungeon crawlers. However, I love the arena mode. I have great fun recruiting new combatants and ranking them up. Character customization... well, it has it, as far as hair styles, body weight, muscle mass, etc, but I'll be honest: Skyrim has ruined the character customization screen of pretty much all games. All those sliders, man..... and what vanilla Skyrim didn't offer was available through mods.

I bought this because I read that it was a prequel to a game I've been waiting for named Sui Generis. Open world, physics based combat with a deep storyline with meaningful choices and decision: sign me up, though The Witcher has kind of spoiled me in the "meaningful decisions that have a deep impact on the world" category. Sui Generis hasn't been released yet, but I figured I'd enjoy Exanima in the meantime. In my excitement, I didn't read the "roguelike dungeon" part, don't enjoy it, but love the arena mode.

2) Conan Exiles:

I died a lot when I first got this one; I like to casually stroll worlds when I first get games, you know, get a feel for the physics and the world in general. Conan Exiles isn't a game for a casual stroll; it's a brutal desert where dehydration and starvation are very real threats, not to mention all the hostiles. So, after I got used to the concept of having to hit the ground running, I enjoyed this title for quite a bit. However, once I found a sweet spot in the game, I found it no longer necessary to explore. I built a decent base next to a little oasis. Hunting's good, plenty of building materials for now, plenty of water. I like the game, it's not bad, but it is an EA; it needs fleshed out a bit more. Now enemy AI and animations aren't the greatest. A few days ago, I was splashing around the water like Madonna in the "cherish" video when an alligator attacked. I noticed that it neither swam nor walked; it kind of glided over the ground. I like this game, but I'm putting it on the shelf for now until it can be fleshed out more.

3) Eden Star:

Another EA, what caught my eye is the ability to craft armor in a FPS game. Lack of armor in loot was the only thing that turned me off of Borderlands, it was semi-satiated by Destiny, and I was very excited to see it in Eden Star. While you can indeed craft it, you already start with the best armor in the game, well, the best armor that suits my play style, anyway. I like building and exploring, but it needs fleshed out more, as many of my EA titles. A phrase that caught my attention was "for those who thought there wasn't enough Minecraft in Mass Effect. If I understand right, mobs attack the base you build in Minecraft, so I guess in that light, the minecraft aspect is correct. I personally fail to see any of Mass Effect in Eden Star. If I had to make a statement like that, I'd say " Kind of like Empyrion with better graphics, except there's no current vehicles and no exploration of other worlds". My favorite part of this game: quartz clusters! I saw that I was mining quartz, but didn't think that it would actually be represented in my inventory as an actual cluster. Quartz is used in the game to build glass, which is fine, I'm just a little bummed that I can't place clusters on a table for to display. I'm a bona fide quartz fanatic, which brings me to an older game.

4) Skyrim:

To be honest, Skyrim got real old real quick for me. There were many times where I'd just stroll from point a to b with absolutely no interaction. I could play with one hand, smoke with the other, have a conversation with Jenn, and miss nothing. Now, in the beginning, it was refreshing, it was spectacular when I added a few landscape enhancing mods, and got a lot more exciting when I added extra flora, fauna, and quests. The main turnoff for me with Skyrim was the civil war part. Perhaps I see it wrong, but to me, neither the Empire nor the Stormcloaks are the true "bad guys"; that's the Thalmor. If I understand and remember it right, the Thalmor's true agenda is to wipe out all human races. The White-Gold concordant's true agenda is to crumble the Empire from within, and both Empire and Stormcloaks are playing right into their hands. I don't want to choose a side in the civil war; I want to unite all people and beat the Thalmor all the way to the Summerset Isle.

Anyway, blah blah blah. My attention was turned back to Skyrim when some special edition thing showed up in my library. I thought "the heck's the big deal, it's the same content in a glitzier package". I went to Nexus mods to see if the game even had any different mods than the original, and found a mod for both versions that made my jaw drop; "The Gem Collector". This mod adds not only over 500 different types of minerals to the game, but also armor, weapons, a gem store, and even a gem hideout (the walls are textured with different mineral textures). Long story short, you might think "so, what got you all hot and bothered is no more than basically a treasure hunt?" My answer: Damn right, when minerals are offered in the abundance that this mod offers!

5) Rising World:

Another EA building survival game. At this point, the survival aspect is almost nonexistent; it's more of a building game than anything else. Things like mobs and character customization are coming, but they're not there yet. I bought the game for exactly what it offers: an early morning or late at night game where I could unwind with coffee cup in one hand and mouse in the other, and just lose myself in the thrill of the build.

Now, my personal experience. Before I bought the game, I looked at the player screenshots and saw such a wide spectrum of architecture types. Now, some say that the game doesn't have direction, but I say that the game gives you the freedom to build whatever you want. Sometimes, I wish I could build a castle in Eden Star or have a modern pool inside my Life is Feudal castle; I can do exactly that in Rising World. So, I bought the game, and quickly got discouraged. Others had such fantastic buildings, while I could only manage little unimaginative bunkers; I guess I was a function over form type of builder, plus I'm more of a writer than a designer. So, I went online and learned all about different architecture styles. Before Rising World, I couldn't tell a Colonial from a Cape Cod, now Jenn and I have great fun driving around and pick out different architecture types. Playing this game has literally enriched my real-world life.

Now, just because I know different architecture types doesn't mean I could build them. In fact, I was more frustrated than before, because I couldn't transfer images from my mind to screen. That is My fault, not the games; I sucked at building. However, on the games main forum, I discovered a blueprints section where you could download the structures of others and take them apart to see how they tick. Now, I can build anything; my favorite is a Art Deco/Contemporary/Modern hybrid. Part of it's classy, part of it's bizarre, like Dr. Seuss constructed it while on heavy pain meds. Also, while the game doesn't have things like showers,washer and driers, microwaves, and computers, you can download any image from your computer via posters. So, my office in-game felt bizarre, so I found an image I liked online, put a few blocks up in the game, loaded the image, and bam, latest and greatest computer in my game. You can also have your own private server or play on others' servers, but I haven't done that, too much fun playing on my own. I'm currently adding a roof-to-pool waterslide for one of my houses. Now, water is currently static, but we've been promised big changes soon. I know that developers can promise you anything in the EA phase and it doesn't mean a thing, but I get a really good feeling from this guy. He's Always doing Q n A with the forum, Always keeping us updated and taking feedback. I don't trust a lot of EA games, but I sincerely trust this guy.

Love the time you spent putting into this write up Gilberticus. I learned loads about new games, and your unique perspective and style on playing and learning with all the humor was a great read.

Funny your feedback on SkyRim, I'd had a feeling from the reviews I'd first gotten about the game when it came out... huge huge world, but a little empty

:blink:

gogo

Currently playing "Desktop Dungeons" and tearing what's left of my hair out while trying to solve some of the strategy puzzles.

I can't leave them unsolved. I'm a completionist and knowing they aren't finished is like an unscratchable itch!

This sound fascinating

What kind of game is this...like a d and d chess game or something?

:o

gogo

I typically only play a single game at a time. Right now that game is Final Fantasy 14 on PS4.

I'm playing the second Leggo Harry Potter on Xbox with my nephew. When the squad's all present (second nephew plus friend) it's D3 on Xbox.

Happy but so surprised you're playing D3... I remember when we were first online with you in the PC dungeons you were stating that you really liked First Person playing... are you playing D3 on console cuz of nephew or the game experience is better than on PC?

:)

gogo

After some personal differences we revived our "Old Man Group" a few weeks ago, which still plays Grim Dawn Coop. We restarted in Softcore after some game-driven-deaths in HC, which still are not solved by Crate. But it is still a lot of fun. I am looking forward to every Thursday! ;)

at SP I am puzzeling with some savegames from Anno (2205 and 1404), trying to get more and more people. I think the savegame from 1404 Venice is arount four years old! :D

• Like! 1

This sound fascinating

What kind of game is this...like a d and d chess game or something?

:o

gogo

Available on GOG

https://www.gog.com/game/desktop_dungeons

Sort of like Fantasy General or Panzer General, but far more varied while each map is short enough to play in a coffee break.

Edited by podgie_bear

Happy but so surprised you're playing D3... I remember when we were first online with you in the PC dungeons you were stating that you really liked First Person playing... are you playing D3 on console cuz of nephew or the game experience is better than on PC?

gogo

I played pc D3 to play with FDM. I'd often log on, see my no one online, log off and do something else. I despise click-to-move. IMO console D3 is the best A-RPG since Sacred 2. My nephews saw me playing it on ps3,so they got a copy for their xbox.

gogo

I played pc D3 to play with FDM. I'd often log on, see my no one online, log off and do something else. I despise click-to-move. IMO console D3 is the best A-RPG since Sacred 2. My nephews saw me playing it on ps3,so they got a copy for their xbox.

the console control pad made that much of a difference?

Is it because you have a different kind of control, more granular?

gogo

Click-to-move is the anti-Christ and belongs in Dante's 7th circle of Hell. I wouldn't have even played I&B if it was click-to-move.

So for me console vs pc for D3 was never in question.

• Like! 1

Lol, Flix swoops in with a Big Lebowski quote and meme :) The seventh circle is divided into three rings, and while I'm not a huge fan of D3, I see neither it nor click to move games in general as deserving any of those three rings.

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

I've recently purchased Din's legacy and have about a dozen hours in it. I don't think I'm going to do a write-up for this, as every Soldak Entertainment game has a free demo on Steam. What I can say is free demos are a stroke of absolute genius; I wish more developers went that route

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I've recently purchased Din's legacy and have about a dozen hours in it. I don't think I'm going to do a write-up for this, as every Soldak Entertainment game has a free demo on Steam. What I can say is free demos are a stroke of absolute genius; I wish more developers went that route

Just looked at the trailer of the ingame... heh, all the loot on the ground reminds me so much of Sacred's drop screens :D ... great concept of constantly mutating "developing" characters? Innovative ^^ 

gogo