The Related Word Game - 2017!

smoked meat -> Haspel, geräüchert und mariniert

Haspel. Hachse, Haxe, Haxn, Eisbein, .... all the same in different german slangs

For Wildsauhaspel (Eisbein from female wild boar) I prefer this: The skin cut in squares, marinated for a day (to reduce the strong taste of wild boar), hang for 15 minutes to let the marinade drop away. some spices added and then into the smoker

220px-Schwein-Eisbein.png

geraeuchertes-mariniertes-eisbein-haxe-r

• Appreciation 1

Parma ham -> Parmigiano-Reggiano

The pigs get fed whey curd from the production of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. 

• Like! 1
1 minute ago, Delta! said:

Parma ham -> Parmigiano-Reggiano

The pigs get fed whey curd from the production of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. 

I feel like checking my grocery just to see if they sell a few strips at a time just to get that "taste"

:drool:

Parmigiano-Reggiano - > so expensive

:oooo:

gogo

so expensive -> jamón serrano

I am more used to our local way of drying ham: Burgschinke which isn't sold but only given to friends. Spanish jamón serrano is close to it and more popular. It is often sold whole and with a good filet knife :)

Local Burgschinke (castle ham) was air dried in high castle towers. Our village doesn't have a castle, but the firefighting building has a high tower to hang up dry the water hoses. There is lot of air flow if lower doors and the hatchet in the roof are opened.

tQ5mh6dqfzCJKEaFZ-e320.jpeg

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

I feel like checking my grocery just to see if they sell a few strips at a time just to get that "taste"

:drool:

Parmigiano-Reggiano - > so expensive

:oooo:

gogo

Try specialty meat suppliers or specialty food import shops, they should have some of the better quality Parmigiano. The normal grocers will most probably just have "local substitutes" which can still be very good.

49 minutes ago, chattius said:

so expensive -> jamón serrano

I am more used to our local way of drying ham: Burgschinke which isn't sold but only given to friends. Spanish jamón serrano is close to it and more popular. It is often sold whole and with a good filet knife :)

Local Burgschinke (castle ham) was air dried in high castle towers. Our village doesn't have a castle, but the firefighting building has a high tower to hang up dry the water hoses. There is lot of air flow if lower doors and the hatchet in the roof are opened.

tQ5mh6dqfzCJKEaFZ-e320.jpeg

OH WOW Chattius. We in South Africa refer to it as Iberico Ham and it is waaaay to expensive to buy, even though there are a few suppliers.

Jamón Serrano -> Cured 

• Appreciation 1

port -> falstaff

2017 Berg Schlossberg Riesling Beerenauslese GK

The most expensive in my wine cellar. The wine is rated 96+ on the falstaff scale. The father of the boy friend of our second is a wine expert and I bought it last summer. But covid prevented a visit so far. He is diplomat and out of country the most time.

Falstaff = Austrian wine magazine

Falstaff-PWS-2001-Cover-IVZ-220.jpg

• zomgod! 1
13 hours ago, gogoblender said:

@chattius isnt falstaff from Shakespear? I love that name

Yes, he is a sort of a fat misbehaved knight who spends his time at the inn drinking wine or beer. So he was sort of a wine expert. Probably that gave the name to the wine magazine.

Gr%C3%BCtzner_Falstaff_mit_Kanne.jpg

Boat -> ... --- ...

boat -> house

Ahhh, yes chattius that's where he's from... also... there's a version of him in that terrific new movie called The King (life of King henry and that famous battle ) ... didnt think I was a fan of historical but this was filmed with beautiful lighting, casting and what a score

:superman:

gogo

sun -> balance

white balance, gray balance, color balance

A camera is stupid, you have to tell it what should be white. Our second uses a grey paper hold near the motiv for white balance adjusting.

The left half shows the photo as it came from the digital camera. The right half shows the photo adjusted to make a gray surface neutral in the same light.

Lily-M7292-As-shot-and-manual.jpg