The Related Word Game - 2017!

3 hours ago, chattius said:

nation -> Holy Roman empire of the German nation

I was born in Wetzlar which was the place of the Imperial Chamber Court in old times. Goethe worked there. My mom's house is just 100m away. Today it is a restaurant atthe marketplace below the cathedrale of Wetzlar.

My Own Picture

Reichskammergericht-2.JPG.a746e9cce38358bedc6e7650f93c8ee8.JPG

Picture from Wiki

359px-DE_WZ_courthouse.jpg

Holy Roman empire of the German nation -> Canada

Love the pic Chattius 

:)

gogo

Canada -> Shilo

My first and so far only visit to Canada. NATO training camp for use of normal (not training) rockets and artillery rounds. I did disarming training of faulty not exploding ammunition. Others may have had fun in shooting, I had more thrill in one hour than reading all Steven King books.

• Appreciation 1
13 hours ago, chattius said:

Canada -> Shilo

My first and so far only visit to Canada. NATO training camp for use of normal (not training) rockets and artillery rounds. I did disarming training of faulty not exploding ammunition. Others may have had fun in shooting, I had more thrill in one hour than reading all Steven King books.

:lol: @ stephen king books...  I do not doubt that at all! :D

Shilo -> nuclear silo

:explode:

gogo

Silo Hotel -> NATO alphabet

A bit frustrating. When I was drafted we had an alphabet different to NATO, some other states too. Police had another. Luckily the panel signs used from ground troops to communicate with planes were just modified Morse code.

20180110_alphabet-sign-signal-big2.jpg

• Like! 1

smoke signals -> Dad

When my dad was smoking a cigarette he was busy and didn't want to be disturbed. But when sitting and smoking a pipe we kids could ask about homework, friends, being driven to town, ...

But I am a miserable dad myself, I nearly never smoked.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

Dad -> Hunter

My dad was a very good hunter, and taught me how to shoot with 2 hunting rifles.

I wish I'd learned to shoot! That's a great experience skill Theuns

Hunter -> Food

:theuns:

gogo

color guard -> supersonic

There was a short timespan in history when Fahnenschwinger (flag swingers) were trained to wave flags on the tops of a city wall in a way that a supersonic noise was created much like with bullwhips.

The idea was that a town under siege had only limited ammunition. So with the 'bang bang' from the flags a illusion of a leader commanding a troop of arkebuse shooters was created. The attackers were hiding for cover and a charge was stopped. Just when they started to ignore the flags and charged anyway a real salvo was fired.

With better and better guns (arkebuse became muskets, then muskets became real guns, ...) the color guards fail more and more victim to snipers and were only used a bit in parades and nearly totally vanished except for Switzerland.

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, chattius said:

color guard -> supersonic

There was a short timespan in history when Fahnenschwinger (flag swingers) were trained to wave flags on the tops of a city wall in a way that a supersonic noise was created much like with bullwhips.

The idea was that a town under siege had only limited ammunition. So with the 'bang bang' from the flags a illusion of a leader commanding a troop of arkebuse shooters was created. The attackers were hiding for cover and a charge was stopped. Just when they started to ignore the flags and charged anyway a real salvo was fired.

With better and better guns (arkebuse became muskets, then muskets became real guns, ...) the color guards fail more and more victim to snipers and were only used a bit in parades and nearly totally vanished except for Switzerland.

Great info! that was a beauty read, and poor guards :(

supersonic -> concorde

they may come back... though underground!

:dance:

gogo

Concorde -> dream

When we had small kids we dreamed about a Concorde recreational vehicle. We used our old 5th hand Ford Transit (later a Me4rcedes MiniBus) with a trailer instead. Now with the oldest kids out of house we could afford a Concorde but without kids we prefer to use BMW G/S motorbikes designed to do long journeys. Luckily my father in law was a bike racer, seller and mechanic for BMW. The maintaining costs are very small because of this.

Only 2 big trips with my wife and me alone so far: Trolltunga (Norwegian mountains) 2018  and  2019 Camargue (French mediterran / Rhone Delta)

But I fear in 10 years we will swap to more senior friendly bikes ;)

detail.jpg

wunderlich_r1200gs_2014_20.jpg