The Related Word Game - 2017!

Hawaii five o -> milking

I know when it aired in my childhood it was when we kids had to milk the cows ... So I never watched the original nor the new series.

Our AuPair is from Dutch Caribbean so the series she watches ti show us her home is:

wiener => dachshund

Why did the boy ask his parents for a dachshund?

Spoiler

Because, he heard the cowboy say, "Get a long little doggie." :hooyaah:

Dachshund -> Frankfurter

A butcher from Frankfurt came to Vienna/Wien and had to adapt his Frankfurter to what he could get locally. Begin of the WienerBockwurst was eaten to Bockbier, doesn't contain pork and isn't smoked. Knackwurst is a variant of Bockwurst, Frankfurter Rindswurst looks like a Knackwurst but is made from beef, ...

Doesn't matter which, a Dachshund luckily has too short legs to steal them from a table.

puppy-dachshund-wants-sausage-picture-id

Spam -> Steckrübenwinter /turnip winter

Winter 1916/17 in Germany. Wet autumn and potatoes rotting on fields, nitrats used for ammunition and not as fertilizer, horses at the front,... Rutabega needed no machines for harvest, women could do it with just the hands. While in Britain spam was the only food you could always get it was rutabega (Steckrüben) in WW1 Germany. Flour from Rutabega, bread from rutabega, rutabega replacing potato, soup just from rutabega, rutabega was everywhere and in cities often the only food you could get.

• Like! 1

Mardi Gras, New Orleans -> Gypsys pilgrimage at Saintes-Maries de la mer

The gypsies say that the two Holy Maries were placed in a boat by the romans, without an oar or sail. The gypsy Sarah rescued them at the mound of the Rhone River at heavy sea. This started the christianisation of the gypsies in the year 42ad.

In Catholic belief Sarah was a slave of one of the Maries and that god saved the ship.

Whoever is right, big spectaculum two times in a year. Whenever it happens that I have a business in the region I to try to visit it, 6 times by now. We did a family vacance there four years back. The girls liked the white camargue horses (still some wild ones)  the Guardians rode. The Guardians are European cowboys using long wooden poles to direct the caddle.

And since de la mer means from the sea - most of the ceremony plays in or around the water.

image.jpg

• Like! 1

graduation -> Rigorosum

In Germany: After typing your doctor work, having it accepted (not copied, best something not handled before) you have to defend it before a jury of professors. They can theoretically ask every question about your work and what they think a doctor grade needs in general knowledge. Out of historical reasons my doctor is a dr.phil. not a dr.nat, because mathematics belonged to philosophy tree of university. Only two professors were uptodate with my mathematical work so the other six fired general question mainly philosophical ones and simple nature sciences ones like basic quantum physics. The philosophical part was to a big degree why I was volunteer soldier for years.

When all was done I could wear a selfmade 'Doktorenhut/doctor hat). At my university the hat is showing the department, hobbies and something from the life.

img?regionKey=%2B8JkqZoEGjASCWXjqlmTtw==

A thesis defense is close but not the same, it is more a discussing of your thesis work and not a real defending.

• Appreciation 1