Life is Feudal: Forest Village

Man, do I have great fun with this! The Steam store page was spot-on: city builder with survival aspects. So, one might think "so what!? There's a million of these!" That very well might be true, but this is the only one that I own that I can play in both first and third person perspective. That means I can click on anyone and jump into their role in first person perspective. I can mine, build, gather; all of that in first person. I've read a few state that's it's a Banished rip-off, others say that it's a tweaked version of Banished. Personally, I don't know because I've never played Banished. I don't know how it measures up to game "such and such", because I don't really have any other city builders. All I know is that I have so much friggin fun with this that I'm officially back into gaming. There's only one caveat: it Is a relaxing game where you can just set up your farms and mines and whatnot and expect them all to do their assigned jobs, minus one: hunters. Hunters do indeed do a great job at keeping my village stocked with meat, however they are terrible at one of their other jobs: defense. I read that all you have to do is set up a few hunting lodges around your farming areas and they'll protect your livestock, but that's not quite the case yet. I slowed down my game to normal speed so I could go out and have a cigarette, figuring that my hunters would protect my chickens, orchard, and apiary. When I came back, Everything was dead and honey was gone (stinking bears and wolves!). The reason why that's kind of a big deal is because the only way right now to restock your coop is to tear it down and rebuild it. I thought I could get away with not having animal farms, but your village needs a varied diet; they won't rely only on fish for their diets. It's not that big of a deal, I like jumping into different roles, I just wish I would have known that hunters suck at protecting things on their own because my village died of starvation that winter. It upset me a little more than expected when my children died. I'm kind of a soft-heart when it comes to things like that, let's just keep that a secret between you and I :)

So, in short, I find Forest Village both relaxing and challenging. I have read " The game is an Exact copy of Banished, no new mechanics, just upgraded graphics, it brings nothing new to the Banished experience", and that might be a turn-off for you. But for me, who has never played Banished, I love it. In fact, here's another little secret for you; I blew off a symposium on ammolite to play the game, don't tell my wife :) I'm a bona fide mineral fanatic, but I find the game absolutely enthralling. Plus, it's ammolite: fossilized ammonite shell composed primarily of aragonite, they've been on the market since like 1970, I think I got that ground pretty well covered by now without putting my gemology career in jeopardy.

• Like! 1

I've learned why none of my villages ever made it past year 14, it's not a game you just sit back and watch, with the speed at 15x the whole time. After decreasing the speed and being more active in my village's growth and defense, I have 20 villagers, at year 15, with five chickens. I guess it's a good idea to read like guides and the discussion forums on Steam once in a while :) I also learned that hunters will indeed protect your farms, but only after an initial attack. So, it's no big deal if a wolf attacks your chicken coop full of chickens, a hunter will come, kill the wolf, and chickens will repopulate as long as there's survivors. But if you only have one chicken, Then you have to tear it down and rebuild. I'm still learning the game, I only have like 20some hours in it. So, I haven't been ingame that long, but it's been a sweet ride so far :)

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Like! 1

I've learned why none of my villages ever made it past year 14, it's not a game you just sit back and watch, with the speed at 15x the whole time. After decreasing the speed and being more active in my village's growth and defense, I have 20 villagers, at year 15, with five chickens. I guess it's a good idea to read like guides and the discussion forums on Steam once in a while :) I also learned that hunters will indeed protect your farms, but only after an initial attack. So, it's no big deal if a wolf attacks your chicken coop full of chickens, a hunter will come, kill the wolf, and chickens will repopulate as long as there's survivors. But if you only have one chicken, Then you have to tear it down and rebuild. I'm still learning the game, I only have like 20some hours in it. So, I haven't been ingame that long, but it's been a sweet ride so far :)

Love all the writing you put up...specially delicious cuz I got a new laptop

Is this a free game I can get on steam or there ingame purchases or something?

:)

gogo

Oh, not free, boss, $24.99 on Steam. As far as ingame purchases, nope. I generally avoid those, because it turns into pay-to-win. In my excitement, I forgot to give the specs, sorry about that. It's a single player Medieval city builder.

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Like! 1

Now, if you were looking for free strategy, I saw that Elder Scrolls has some type of strategy card game on Steam for free. I know nothing about it, but it fills both free and strategy categories for you.