Trying to find a game mechanics element (exploding enemy bodies on overhit damage)

Hello.

I remember back when I was playing Sacred, there was a certain game mechanics element that made your enemies’ bodies explode when you did too much damage to them all at once. For instance, the enemy has 1,000 starting HP, you bring it down to 30HP with various attacks and then use a powerful attack to deal -500HP in one hit, so it explodes in a rather gory manner.

I tried finding it through google or youtube but must’ve been feeding the search engine the wrong quaries because all the results I was getting were irrelevant ones.

Can someone please point me to the term that describes this mechanics I’m talknig about and — ideally — a video that demonstrates it in high quality (a relevant fragment from a walk-through or let’s play, for instance)? Preferably with a Dark Elf, but that’s just optional.

Hello! I have moved your topic to General Discussion for Sacred 1, since that seems to be which game you're posting about. I know there's something like a "blood" or "gore" option that can be toggled in the options menu, but I haven't heard about any special circumstances that trigger it.

• Like! 1

That visual effect \ animation is pretty much what I was thinking about.

However, are you sure there wasn’t a similar effect for Dark Elves? I remember stabbing enemies with dual-wielded weapons and causing the same type of explosions. It was mostly happening by the point when I was in some forest-like map area that had a bunch of slithering enemy mobs.

Though I admit my memories can have become faulty and inaccurate, so no problem if that’s the only thing that comes to your mind as a possible answer.

Thanks for the help!

• Like! 1

The only thing that provides explosions is tentacles, gore mode from what I remember doesn't have explosions. Even slpit doesn't have explosions.

I think your memory is off.

This is the tentacle video

Nice find Augmint! That was my single favorite effect and build mechanism from Sacred for awhile...specially if you used a ranged weapon like the Daemon's blue magic blasts... you could actually get the whole world to go nuclear:

mrtentacle.jpg

:D

gogo

That visual effect \ animation is pretty much what I was thinking about.

However, are you sure there wasn’t a similar effect for Dark Elves? I remember stabbing enemies with dual-wielded weapons and causing the same type of explosions. It was mostly happening by the point when I was in some forest-like map area that had a bunch of slithering enemy mobs.

Though I admit my memories can have become faulty and inaccurate, so no problem if that’s the only thing that comes to your mind as a possible answer.

Thanks for the help!

Great you made it over to our boards, Gravity hug

got good taste in CA's ^^

welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

"However, are you sure there wasn’t a similar effect for Dark Elves? I remember stabbing enemies with dual-wielded weapons and causing the same type of explosions. It was mostly happening by the point when I was in some forest-like map area that had a bunch of slithering enemy mobs.

Though I admit my memories can have become faulty and inaccurate, so no problem if that’s the only thing that comes to your mind as a possible answer."

EDIT - actually I think in Underworld there are some enemies which explode without the gore - skeletons, crabs, not sure about the snake like chokers

Will have to look up.

Sounds like the Embalmed forest.

http://pctalk.info/Games/Sacred2/Wolfes.Lair/SacredUnderworld/Pages/Maps-Underworld.html

http://pctalk.info/Games/Sacred2/Wolfes.Lair/SacredUnderworld/Pages/Bestiary-WreathedChker.html

Edited by Augmint
  • Like! 1

Thanks for the additional hints.

You’re right, it was near the Embalmed Forest area you’ve linked to (

); and while the mummies and such did kinda go "puff" when you killed them, I think the gore parts were there in my case (e.g. the bloody chest cage with showing ribs, etc).

It was likely due to overhit crits dealt through the Hard Hit skill (http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred:Hard_Hit & www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Hard_Hit_(Revenge)) though I still couldn’t find any videos on it.

There are very few Sacred walkthroughs on Youtube, for some reason.

Thanks, I think with so few walkthroughs available online this is as far as I’ll manage to get from this question.

• Like! 1

There are very few Sacred walkthroughs on Youtube, for some reason.

Thanks, I think with so few walkthroughs available online this is as far as I’ll manage to get from this question.

You're right

and thanks for putting up the link to that Underworld walk through... great revisit!

:D

g0g0

@ GravityHug - Sorry about the initial reply. I first thought about Sacred Ancaria campaign, after I posted it I realised Underworld did seem to have some different death/kill animations.

The hard hit crit damage might be the key.

There are alot of little things still to explore - theres info on Nightwolfes site I never saw here (no dis to darkmatters)

There's a youtube site (unf. its in russian with some english title names) worth checking out. Don't have the time currently to really play Sacred - the nostalgia will kick in eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE11670D3DEFAB0DE

Edited by Augmint
  • Like! 1
  • 7 months later...

Yes, it is possible to make enemies explode in a splash of gore much alike to the Daemon's spell. Animation is pretty much the same. Some flying ribs, some blood splatter and the splattering sound. 

You may also reproduce this effect directly on yourself via various cheating tools such as Cheat Engine, for an example, by editing/altering your HP pool. Your character will simply continually explode on spot, constantly producing more ribs/blood/gore. 

To Achieve this on enemies you really need to be doing far more damage than the enemy has HP, so that it is, in a way, an overkill. You don't need to critically hit, either. A regular hit that's powerful enough will trigger the animation sequence which overlaps the dying animation sequences. It is important, however, to have a high physical hit damage and Gore enabled in one of the .cfg's

Unfortunately, the spell animation for tentacles of the Daemon are very glitchy and might break a game leading to an error and a CTD if a lot of enemies are hit on-spot. In the best case scenario it will just make the game have FPS dropped to about 15FPS. Even though the spell is extremely powerful, that's the only reason why I do not use it. 

Edited by Serboi
  • Thanks! 1