A laptop for my wife

Llama8

My wife wants a laptop for her birthday 'cause her current desktop is FECAL MATTER!e & the pc desk takes up too much space. Which is fair enough.

So I'm looking online (I'm in the UK BTW), at Dell (initially). Now, Dell do a laptop for ~£350 (their bottom of the range Inspiron 1300 - all she wants it for is for surfing & re-sizing photos), but they're charging ~£53 to upgrade the ram from 256 to 512. Which is criminal. So does anyone know how easy it is to get at the ram on this particular type of notebook? 'Cause I can get a Gig for a similar amount of money.

Unless you have other ideas...

Also, I was thinking of getting an external HD for her to put all of her music & photos on it. Or how expensive/cheap is network storeage?

I never deal with the dell (yet) but I open toshiba, sony, acer and hp notebooks. All had easy access doors for the hard drive and the memory on the bottom of the laptop. So I am assuming dell has the same system too. It is really easy to replace or add memory in it.

I am looking for more info about it. I will send it if I will find.

Here it is:

almost all the laptops has the same steps(as far as I know)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1084976

if the link doesn't work, here is the main link for the inspiron 1300 parts:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/sm/index.htm

just click on Memory, Optical Drive, and Mini PCI Card on the main page to see the installation help document

Personally, the only thing that would cause me to buy a Dell is their excellent service/support (not that there's anything wrong with Dell, I just have different tastes).

The problem with your plan is that if you ever have to send to back for service or maintenance, I'm pretty sure opening the laptop up will void your warranty, and repairs could end up costing you an arm and a leg.

If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

The problem with your plan is that if you ever have to send to back for service or maintenance, I'm pretty sure opening the laptop up will void your warranty, and repairs could end up costing you an arm and a leg.

If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

I am not really sure about it but memory change is real easy step and I hope it don't void the laptop warranty.

If it is the case, you might want a save the original part and if needed just replace it before you send the warranty. No one will know you replace it. Easy solution.

Try looking at the novatech.co.uk laptop..... basically unbranded, but u can do what you like to them and I cheap.... I've had one, my sister and my g/f have both had one and so have a few other ppl I know. You can buy them blank and install you're own OS if you are into that kinda thing, or buy them with an OS.

Harddiscs and RAM have always been easy to upgrade on these machines and it it were not for the want of something small I'd still have one. (Now have a 10inch Sony Vivo)

• 2 weeks later...

see this will probably be no help wat so ever but go mac all the way!! especially for laptops I've jsut got myself a new macbook pro

but if you want to get the end of line models for the old Mac Pro they are going for next to nothing john lewis were basically throwing them away in some stroes when I looked. but you can find some great onlinedeals for ordinary laptops from companies such as

evesham.com or their cheaper website lowestontheweb.com

komplett.co.uk

danwilliams

I bought her a dell laptop & got them to give me 1gig of ram instead of 512Meg for the same price...

Now my question is what's a good (free/cheap) firewall? We're coming to the end of our Norton subscription...

Kerio Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

U get the use of the full version for 30 days and after that it reverts to its freeware version, which will be adequate for you as a home user. It is reasonable easy to use and it the best of the freeware ones I have tried (and I've tried a lot)