Game freezing problems

I've currently started having these issues when returning to the game, that I dont remember having before.

It usually happens wither when trying to map teleport to a portal / waypoint, or sometimes when pressing M to open the map.

The game freezes and trying to Ctrl-alt-del causes my monitors to go black and get stuck. One workaround I managed to find around this is to alt tab and open task manager through the start menu's search and I can then force close the game so long as I remembered to keep task manager set to open on my second monitor.

I think it could be due either to now using Windows 10, or due to forgetting to disable SLI which I have now done and will also update my graphics drivers.

Im using the community patch 1.50 and Enhanced Spells Mod. I already tried reinstalling the game which didnt fix it.

Hopefully turning off SLI will work, and I know not to bother with the Elite textures anymore as they cause too many memory leaks, which is likely what could still be causing these crashes.

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, bhav said:

I've currently started having these issues when returning to the game, that I dont remember having before.

It usually happens wither when trying to map teleport to a portal / waypoint, or sometimes when pressing M to open the map.

The game freezes and trying to Ctrl-alt-del causes my monitors to go black and get stuck. One workaround I managed to find around this is to alt tab and open task manager through the start menu's search and I can then force close the game so long as I remembered to keep task manager set to open on my second monitor.

I think it could be due either to now using Windows 10, or due to forgetting to disable SLI which I have now done and will also update my graphics drivers.

Im using the community patch 1.50 and Enhanced Spells Mod. I already tried reinstalling the game which didnt fix it.

Hopefully turning off SLI will work, and I know not to bother with the Elite textures anymore as they cause too many memory leaks, which is likely what could still be causing these crashes.

Bhav, have you tried the Diablo 2 Mod yet?

:)

gogo

This entire issue is one of insufficient Random Access Memory when the game demands more after tying up whatever amount our systems are set to allocate. It matters not, the quantity of RAM ones rig has, but how much is available at the time it is demanded. Therefore, the fix is to let the game have more to play with. I tested this hypothesis by using Glary Utilities 5 (free version). After installation, go to the Advanced tab and select Memory Optimizer. Then increase, even double or more, the current free amount of memory. Now, click "Optimize" and after it's done go to options and set it to Enable Auto Optimization and to Load automatically on Windows Startup. This fixed the problem for me, even when using Elite Textures. I will try PhysX next but I expect another positive result.

For your added convenience, I have attached the set up file for GlaryUtilities. The tool has some other nice options to play with. However, I don't recommend the Disk Defrag tool for they who employ a Windows 10 Operating System or a Solid State Drive. Remember, SSDs should not be defragmented.

gu5setup.exe

• Like! 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi,

unfortunately, I suffer from game freezes too. The first time the freezes occurred where in the small swamp area in the southwest corner of Artamark. A simple reboot solved the Problem. But since I arrived in the swamps, the game has become unplayable. The Game freezes every few minutes.

Before I reached the swamps, I could play without problems, even with activated weather and PhysX effects.

I have set the tool Glary Utilities 5 as described but it does not bring any improvements.

I have the Steam version

With newest Community patch

Trimmed elite textures

Enhanced Mod

No Fog Mod

Camera Tweak

• Sad 1

I have found a solution, the game still freezes but only briefly and I am thrown to my desktop, but without the game crashing. So I can go back immediately and the game runs smoothly again for quite a while.
I just had to adjust the settings in the "Glary Utilities 5" tool so that the RAM optimization is done at 90% free memory (I have 32GB).

PS: Finished the swamp area and the game works again without problems.