It's cool if I put a link in my profile, right?

I was playing a game with the afterschool group I run;  I thought it might be fun to take a few pictures of some of the minerals I've bought/mined, just to see if they could name them, spot the difference between natural and heat-treated, and spot fakes. Late last night, I remembered that at least gogo had expressed an interest in gemstones, so I thought it might be fun to post a link to my postimage.org gallery in my "about me" section. At the time I didn't see a problem, as there's nothing that should offend anyone; all it contains is pictures of minerals. However, before I start adding more, I wanted to double check that it was ok for me to have it.

If you're curious, what I have there is a few quartz, smoky quartz, a few amethyst, citrine, smoky citrine, a piece of slag that I like, blue lace agate, celestite, silver onyx, crazy lace agate, carnelian, sagenite, mosquito agate, moss agate, a tiny piece of chalcopyrite, and #35, my mystery rock. I have no flipping clue what that little gal is. I want to say ulexite (better known as tv rock), but I've never seen it grow in a haystack formation like that. It's too delicate to do the Mohs test, I can't do the gravity test, as I'm not sure if it's water soluble.  Selenite would also be a realistic guess, but it's too delicate to be that. So, for now, I jokingly tell guests that it's smoky gilbertite.

If there's an interest, there's a ton of other stuff I can put up there. I know I have a few pieces of kyanite somewhere, I'm sure I have at least a few tv rocks. I just carved a fluorite pyramid for Jenn, I've recently tumbled some citrine for my brother; stuff like that. However, I figured I'd be safe and ask if I can have the link up before I start throwing a bunch of pictures on there.

• Like! 1
44 minutes ago, Gilberticus said:

I was playing a game with the afterschool group I run;  I thought it might be fun to take a few pictures of some of the minerals I've bought/mined, just to see if they could name them, spot the difference between natural and heat-treated, and spot fakes. Late last night, I remembered that at least gogo had expressed an interest in gemstones, so I thought it might be fun to post a link to my postimage.org gallery in my "about me" section. At the time I didn't see a problem, as there's nothing that should offend anyone; all it contains is pictures of minerals. However, before I start adding more, I wanted to double check that it was ok for me to have it.

If you're curious, what I have there is a few quartz, smoky quartz, a few amethyst, citrine, smoky citrine, a piece of slag that I like, blue lace agate, celestite, silver onyx, crazy lace agate, carnelian, sagenite, mosquito agate, moss agate, a tiny piece of chalcopyrite, and #35, my mystery rock. I have no flipping clue what that little gal is. I want to say ulexite (better known as tv rock), but I've never seen it grow in a haystack formation like that. It's too delicate to do the Mohs test, I can't do the gravity test, as I'm not sure if it's water soluble.  Selenite would also be a realistic guess, but it's too delicate to be that. So, for now, I jokingly tell guests that it's smoky gilbertite.

If there's an interest, there's a ton of other stuff I can put up there. I know I have a few pieces of kyanite somewhere, I'm sure I have at least a few tv rocks. I just carved a fluorite pyramid for Jenn, I've recently tumbled some citrine for my brother; stuff like that. However, I figured I'd be safe and ask if I can have the link up before I start throwing a bunch of pictures on there.

Perfectly fine Gilberticus, in fact if you wanted to link to your site here in this topic in your first post, that'd be a delight, everyone can indulge directly from the forum

:cow:

gogo

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, Gilberticus said:

Sorry, I had to take that link down for personal reasons. I'm going to have to find a different source to place mineral pics.

good seeing you back gilberticus :)

what happened to your mineral source?

:)

gogo

Thank you, good to be back. As far as the link, it caused problems. See, if you Google the link I used instead of just clicking on the link, you'll see every site that I posted the link on. Some of those sites were support groups I like to run anonymously. Perhaps, in this modern day, there is no real such thing as being anonymous on the internet, but I at least liked the illusion of anonymity.  Not that any of those sites were bad, but I like to do things like donate to things anonymously, which is hard if you have a handy dandy little tool documenting your electronic footprint :)

Which might not be a big thing, but let me paint a little scenario for you. Let's say.... in your younger days, you star in a few......... adult films. A few years later, you're absolutely disgusted by your past, and you spend a boatload of time, money, and energy to bury this sordid little fact. You're not a bad person, but you made a bad decision, it happens. But you're ashamed of that little detail. You even go through the lengthy and painful procedure of removing the tattoos you had during your film career. So, a decade or two rolls by, and you finally feel like you've stepped out from the shadow of that sordid little past. You have all of these good things going for you. Granted, some people  think that you're a little colorful and perhaps a tiny bit eccentric, but people still consider you overall a wholesome guy; just a good guy to know. And then, you get the idea of hosting a website for other people who are trying to step out of the stigma and shadow of having been featured in a few less than classy films, just because you're a compassionate person who genuinely gives a darn about others. Which believe me, is needed, because it's not easy, it's a stigma that follows you Everywhere. Anyway, one day, you take a bunch of pictures of...let's say..... a few bunnies and put them on a photobucket type of place. You post this link on several sites to brighten peoples' day, because it's hard not to crack a smile when watching baby animals running around and being silly. Cool. The bad part is that people can trace every website that you've posted this link on. Granted, not everyone might be able to connect the dots, having done your best to use aliases and whatnot. In a perfect world of shiny, happy people holding hands, people would say "you know what? Rommel's a good dude. Granted, he made a terrible decision. But so what?! It's not like he killed somebody or set up shop on a playground selling illegal substances to grade school children. The good he's done certainly outshines one less than stellar mistake." But sadly, it's not a perfect world.

So, that might be exactly the boat I've put myself in, but it's similar. So, sadly, that's why I had to take that link down. But I'll find another :)

• Like! 1

For what it's worth, I try not to label decisions good or bad, since most of the time you only see that when it's too late. At the time, there's this and that piece of information available, and I presume people do the best they can. Deciding whether you get a blue or black pen doesn't have that much impact, but it gets rather complicated really fast. So no one can have all the necessary information, and then even consider all the possible angles. I certainly can't. Then there's also the point that it's good to make mistakes, since that's a great way to learn something.

That said, I fully agree that this "connecting stuff" maybe should not be driven to the extent it is now. I certainly do see the value in having that ability, but it should be optional in my opinion.

• Like! 1

https://postimg.org/gallery/2ncxov1om/

I have a benefits thing to go to, but real quick, I found an alternate means of posting groups of pictures on sites I don't want strung together. So, here is the postimage link. I have to do a little updating, which I'll do tonight. Some of these pictures are of fake minerals, my little "THIS is why you don't buy minerals off of Ebay". But I'll get into that later.

I saw the collection of pix... wonderful! and it got me thinking to a mineral pendant that my mom got while we were in Dominican Republic this last summer...while we were on a tour, the guide mentionned out loud how this blue stone, Larimar,  could only be found in the Dominican Republic...

larimar-gemstone-500x500.png

I researched and found out that his story seems to check out, at least in Wikipedia and other sites I checked..I never imagined that a single type of stone/mineral like this could only be found in one place on Earth?

:blink:

gogo

This is just the tip of the iceberg. On a side note, I haven't the foggiest idea how old pictures of my son, rocking his little mullet, keep popping up in there. Anyway, I'll update this soon. I just got a rad piece of malachite from Black Market Minerals. My problem is twofold. As you can imagine, at the end of the day, after shuffling minerals, sometimes it's hard for me to pick up my camera to snap a few of my own collection. The second part is I've gotten back into gaming, and have got myself thoroughly addicted to a few of them. One of my constants is Rising World. It doesn't currently have much in the way of survival, but it's hands down my favorite for creativity. I'm fond of finding blueprints and pictures from Richard Meier, that old dude's as eccentric as I am when it comes to architecture.  My new one is 7 Days to Die, partly bc I suck at it. I've got the basics down, but I always end up belly up by Day 4, not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyway, I'll update soon. There's an estate sale happening in a few weeks, I anticipate at least a few new ones for the collection.

Hi, gogo :) What you described is one of my absolute favorites, it's called Larimar. Sadly, I don't have any in my personal collection. I'll have to double check, but I don't think I have any in my store, either.

• Like! 1

ahhh, u know it.. cool!

Ill ask to see if I can get a pic of it next time im there... maybe when I get down for March ... im uncertain how deep the blue was 

:D

gogo

5 minutes ago, Gilberticus said:

Hi, gogo :) What you described is one of my absolute favorites, it's called Larimar. Sadly, I don't have any in my personal collection. I'll have to double check, but I don't think I have any in my store, either.

It was so strange and odd to hear someone say that there's a mineral that can be only found in one place on the planet... how odd... and not only that...but that Larmiar only comes from an are a few square miles wide?

:o

Sure does. It is indeed strange, because when you often hear that, it's a con. For instance, some say that there's a rare type of Lemurian seed quartz that comes from the Dominican Republic. But Larimar is legit.

17 minutes ago, Gilberticus said:

Sure does. It is indeed strange, because when you often hear that, it's a con. For instance, some say that there's a rare type of Lemurian seed quartz that comes from the Dominican Republic. But Larimar is legit.

See, that's exactly what I thought when I heard him talking about it...and even when I read about it I still kept having that word run through my mind... "con!" ...!

:lol:

gogo

On 9/14/2017 at 0:08 PM, Gilberticus said:

Gilberticus, if you provide a link to some adequate photos, my daughter may be able to identify your "mystery rock." She is a science major and is currently taking petrology and has already completed mineralogy. After this semester she will have two bachelors degrees, one in Geology and one in Biology; and then she will be earning a Masters degree in Geology.

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Gilberticus, if you provide a link to some adequate photos, my daughter may be able to identify your "mystery rock." She is a science major and is currently taking petrology and has already completed mineralogy. After this semester she will have two bachelors degrees, one in Geology and one in Biology; and then she will be earning a Masters degree in Geology.

Petrology...never heard this word before, love it

And good goin on her with the double degree!

+++

:thumbsup:

gogo

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, rm3000 said:

For what it's worth, I try not to label decisions good or bad, since most of the time you only see that when it's too late. At the time, there's this and that piece of information available, and I presume people do the best they can. Deciding whether you get a blue or black pen doesn't have that much impact, but it gets rather complicated really fast. So no one can have all the necessary information, and then even consider all the possible angles. I certainly can't. Then there's also the point that it's good to make mistakes, since that's a great way to learn something.

That said, I fully agree that this "connecting stuff" maybe should not be driven to the extent it is now. I certainly do see the value in having that ability, but it should be optional in my opinion.

Hello, rm3000 :) Thank you for your comment. My delayed response isn't because I ignored it, but rather that I've been weighing how I'd respond to it. I suck at generalized metaphors and analogies; I always end up getting a little personal (perhaps because I'm a personable guy :) ) But this is an instance that I'm trying to be a little careful with, because I don't want to turn it into a "Candlelight Confessions with Gilberticus" support group type of thing, I'm not certain if that's appropriate for a video game forum, it's more of...well, a Candlelight support group type of thing.

But in a generalized sense, I don't know if there's such thing as "bad decision" versus a "poorly informed" one. All choices are learning lessons. Sometimes, we try to do the best that we can under the conditions at the time. Sometimes, we purposely make a poor move even though we know it's a poor move to make at the time. People are complicated creatures at times :) 

Edited by Gilberticus