How to get around New DarkMatters sections?

Hi, dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but being an old stuck-in-my-ways kind of bear, I am slow finding my way around this newfangled version of DarkMatters. So can someone please tell me how I can get to see what is new in the same way as we used to on the old DarMatters site? Preferable explaining as you would to your poor untechnical grandad who can't even work a remote control or a television!

:help:

3 hours ago, podgie_bear said:

Preferable explaining as you would to your poor untechnical grandad who can't even work a remote control or a television!

You can't do it that way anymore grandad.  The world has changed.

• Haha 1

Mutter, moan, grumble!

Always changing stuff, grumble!

Just like them there newfangled ideas they have in shops. Walk in cheerful and knowing exactly what you want, then walk out grouchy because they moved everything around so you can't find the stuff anymore!

Mutter!

And keep off my lawn!!!!

:viking:

PS. Gogo, we really need an emoticon pf a grizzled old teddy bear angrily shaking a walking stick, lol 

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Like! 1
On 9/16/2017 at 7:34 AM, podgie_bear said:

Hi, dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but being an old stuck-in-my-ways kind of bear, I am slow finding my way around this newfangled version of DarkMatters. So can someone please tell me how I can get to see what is new in the same way as we used to on the old DarMatters site? Preferable explaining as you would to your poor untechnical grandad who can't even work a remote control or a television!

:help:

HI Podgie, illustrous fellow of the Matters!

:dance:

I'm sorry about the frustrations of all this newness. Our forum was so old and we were in dire need of new upgrades for security, speed and features.  This new forum is spiffy and has some new tricks, but mostly lookt so be a secure haven for all our goings on for at least another ten eyars :P

I see that members here have left some go to's for you  and DB has generously offered to write up a guide.

How is the forum venturing going so far?
Thanks for making it back home to us!

:hugs:

gogo

On 9/17/2017 at 4:48 AM, podgie_bear said:

Mutter, moan, grumble!

Always changing stuff, grumble!

Just like them there newfangled ideas they have in shops. Walk in cheerful and knowing exactly what you want, then walk out grouchy because they moved everything around so you can't find the stuff anymore!

Mutter!

And keep off my lawn!!!!

PS. Gogo, we really need an emoticon pf a grizzled old teddy bear angrily shaking a walking stick, lol 

hahahha... I'm working hard on a grumbling teddy bear... always want to satisfy!

:superman:

gogo

On 9/16/2017 at 10:02 AM, Dragon Brother said:

Have a look at Gogo's instructions in this thread Podgie. If that doesn't help you then I can try write up something more detailed for you.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23040-welcome-to-the-new-darkmatters-2017/&page=6&tab=comments#comment-6992674

Great offer DB!

I was away on vacay this weekend, catching up now, we'll see how Podgie's doing wih his Dark Explorations!

:crazy:

gogo

21 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Great offer DB!

I was away on vacay this weekend, catching up now, we'll see how Podgie's doing wih his Dark Explorations!

:crazy:

gogo

Is that you Gogo? Have you come to save me from being lost and whimpering piteously in the corner, unable to face blindly navigating this new and confusing jungle without a faithful guide dog to find the way for me? Not knowing which way to turn? :dntknw:

I have to admit I still can't seem to find what I am looking for, which is a simple way of finding new threads rather than new posts, I don't need to see every post made. Is there a way to show only new threads? I think I have worked out how I can tag the individual threads I am interesting in following and then recall them in the 'unread content' options using the "content I follow" drop down.

Hi Spock!

there is a way to have the forum read out the way you want it too, but you'll have to follow these instructions here I wrote up for Spock to create your own filter:

hi Spock!

There's actually two functionalities to get new content being generated from the forum

The one on the left called 'What's New" will show you a complete read out, very granular, post by post of what members here have created

The second functionality on the right that says "unread content" is the one that you can actually use filters on to get the kind of view you want

After you press on that link "unread content" you can go from left to right picking filters to formulate your own personal feed

... here is a link to what my settings are... these actually best replicate the kind of view we used to get on forums in the past:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/discover/8/

IMO the most important setting is

CONTENT TYPES...set this one to TOPICS (This setting will filter it down to the way it was on our last forum, topics only,not post by post)

The rest you can make the way you want depending on how much data you want the forum to pull up for you 

Dont' forget to save your personal filter choice

and you can also rename it from "Unread Content " to anything you want

hope this helps, post if you need more info

:hugs:

gogo

:)

gogo

7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I've also left little plates of these around in new sections to keep up your courage and morale while checking out all the new options

also quite tasty 

250px-Poutine.JPG

Happy adventuring!

gogo

Oh yuck!!!!

When panic stricken and in need of a sugar high?

I need at least a knickerbocker glory, oreos, donuts. At absolute minimum a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Come on Gogo, what sort of host are you!!!

Lol :4rofl:

Edited by podgie_bear

heh, awwww, thought the curds and hot fries would do it as a hosting gift :P I'd have to look up something local here... as it turns out we're a few months past the season but..will this do

Have at will at ye pancakes sir :whip:

gogo

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

heh, awwww, thought the curds and hot fries would do it as a hosting gift :P I'd have to look up something local here... as it turns out we're a few months past the season but..will this do

Have at will at ye pancakes sir :whip:

gogo

Nice one Gogo, I can live with that. Now if I can just find some bacon flavoured ice cream. :chef:

On 9/21/2017 at 7:01 AM, podgie_bear said:

Nice one Gogo, I can live with that. Now if I can just find some bacon flavoured ice cream. :chef:

heh, yer on yer own with that one friend, though I believe in this world of ultimate possibilities... the bacon/icecream must be out there!

::inquire:

gogo

6 hours ago, gogoblender said:

heh, yer on yer own with that one friend, though I believe in this world of ultimate possibilities... the bacon/icecream must be out there!

::inquire:

gogo

It is mate and I failed to try it when I had the chance, wish I had. However I'm off on holiday next week and where we are staying is a garlic farm that offers various garlic flavoured treats, including garlic icecream. I look forward to trying that!

On 9/24/2017 at 4:39 AM, podgie_bear said:

It is mate and I failed to try it when I had the chance, wish I had. However I'm off on holiday next week and where we are staying is a garlic farm that offers various garlic flavoured treats, including garlic icecream. I look forward to trying that!

garlic flavored ice cream... !
Gak ...make sure you bring lots and LOTS of toothpaste

:twitch:

gogo

On 9/27/2017 at 8:48 PM, gogoblender said:

garlic flavored ice cream... !
Gak ...make sure you bring lots and LOTS of toothpaste

:twitch:

gogo

I do love garlic, so would probably try it, but have no idea how the combination would taste / work!

10 hours ago, gogoblender said:

IM a huge garlic fan meself... but sweet and savory in this fashion?  I know salt on caramel and chocolate...but garlic and ice cream... now you've gotten me thinking about it

:blink:

gogo

You should try some of the stuff I see in the shops these days Gogo. We tried dark chocolate bars with small pieces of red chillies in it. My wife loved it but I didn't, still it was interesting experience.

18 hours ago, podgie_bear said:

You should try some of the stuff I see in the shops these days Gogo. We tried dark chocolate bars with small pieces of red chillies in it. My wife loved it but I didn't, still it was interesting experience.

Ahhh, I remember going nuts for that chilli chocolate a few years back when Lindt started stocking the local pharmacy shelves with it.  Loved it, and also like the ones with sea salt...though still...no garlic

:4rofl:

gogo

On 30/09/2017 at 4:17 AM, gogoblender said:

Ahhh, I remember going nuts for that chilli chocolate a few years back when Lindt started stocking the local pharmacy shelves with it.  Loved it, and also like the ones with sea salt...though still...no garlic

:4rofl:

gogo

Aah Gogo, don't knock it until you tried it. Show some sense of adventure you boring old stick in the mud!

Edited by podgie_bear
Typo