CM Patch 1.60 Highlights: Creature Fixes

1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

Wow Flix, just... Wow! The waiting is the hardest part.

The rune stacking issue is literally the last thing we have to get sorted out.  Until we can agree on that, I'll be posting these change log chunks.  This is just the tip of the iceberg folks!

1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

I was wondering if some superfluous items modifiers in items could be omitted.

TBA.  Block Chance: Knockback is replaced in CM 1.60.  Removing Pacifism will be something for the "Enhanced Edition" mod I've yet to officially announce.

• Like! 1

It's a balance decision.  The Poison DOT is very high on this particular spell, nearly boss-level damage values, which are about twice the damage of other enemy spells with Poison DOT.  This is in addition to a moderate flat physical damage burst with each spit (unchanged).  

Yet, these are just trash mobs.  Unlike boss battles, you are typically fighting huge swarms of Spitting Spiders, so the health bar gets eaten through in seconds.  As most players could tell, they're inexplicably some of the most dangerous encounters in the entire game.

It wasn't always this way. Ice and Blood is when players saw this bizarre deadliness applied to these spiders.  I'm trying to restore that pre-expansion balance, but I don't have the Fallen Angel scripts to work from.

An alternative might be to apply a "duration" parameter.  DOT spells are supposed to have a duration assigned, which dictates the period of time over which the damage is applied.

Poison Spit has no duration parameter.  The spell still functions, but its damage payload is applied immediately, resulting in huge chunks of health eaten away at once.

If people don't like the idea of damage reduction, I could try to make the spell be like other DOT spells that spread out the damage over a duration.

• Thanks! 1
39 minutes ago, BrainMuncher said:

I still have Fallen Angel in my steam list, I could probably get those for you if you want.

Hmm... yeah.  If I could get the whole "scripts" folder that would be quite a treasure.  Though I'm pretty sure if it's on Steam it's the full version with expansion.

Well, I just checked the Wiki and remembered DOT duration is set in balance.txt to be 5 seconds, for ALL DOT spells, even those without "duration" in their spell entry.

If a spell has a "duration" parameter, it will apply to other debuffs (like slowing, attack penalty, etc.), but the DOT duration will always be 5 seconds no matter what, even if "duration" is absent.

Sorry for throwing that red herring out there guys.

This means the problem with Poison Spit is just the raw damage itself, which I maintain is just too dang high.  Even spread over 5 seconds, the damage payload is just punishing.

Tell you what, I'll push out my new, weakened Poison Spit in the Beta Test version, and then get some reactions from players on whether it feels balanced.

1 hour ago, Flix said:

Hmm... yeah.  If I could get the whole "scripts" folder that would be quite a treasure.  Though I'm pretty sure if it's on Steam it's the full version with expansion.

There's two separate versions in my list - Fallen Angel, and Gold. I'll download Fallen Angel overnight (slow connection) and see what version number it has.

Glad a lot of these fixed were fixed, some of them bothered me (like the fact that when a Seraphim talked to a human, the Seraphim's hand went through the human's face because physics and you could see that the Seraphim's hand was bigger than the Human's face :P )

Edited by Excelsior
  • Haha 1