Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth Expansion Trailer

Well Steam is more like a rental service.  GOG gives the satisfaction of having your own personal copy of a game, not tied to any DRM, that can you can back up and make copies of and install and play on any machine.  Their library keeps on growing.

And if you do want the ease of Steam auto-handling everything, there is GOG Galaxy, which acts similarly.

I'm taking a Vindicator through the game with the expansion installed.  That's Inquisitor + Shaman.  I'm focusing on Cold and Lightning damage.  Lots of fun!  I haven't even gotten to the new content.

Man, how the content in this game has grown.  Between the Hidden Patch, Fall of Valbury, and now Ashes of Malmouth, there's tons of additional content to get lost in!

• Like! 1

Well I caved and bought the game. Gradually levelling up a warder (I think - soldier + shaman?) and very much enjoying the gameplay and newness without knowing anything about what makes a build good or bad. So far in the easy difficulty I'm doing ok, but I assume it scales up a fair bit going onwards to the next difficulty levels!

I also think I've got all the graphics set to max. and don't have any performance issues which is nice cos my graphics card is a few generations old now!

• Like! 1

Unfortunately I can't comment on MP as I've been strictly SP. The main takeaway I get from the dev's is that GD is a single player game with MP functionality. So their focus is on SP side. That's not to say they aren't working on MP, I just feel it isn't a main priority. So I don't see a quick resolution to the issues you're having :( .  I don't know if you frequent or post on the GD forums but maybe someone is having similar probs and may have a solution for you.

To start from scratch you would have to manually delete all character files and chest files. I didn't have to as I bought a new pc and simply never transferred existing files (not using Cloud Save as had nothing but probs the one time I used it). If you are interested in a full reset I could probably find the folders you need to delete. I had just been away from the game quite awhile and felt a fresh start was best.

So much has changed in the game and I wanted the sense or feel of discovering new blueprints and items again. Plus I would have had to look through everything I had and try to remember what I had or what I needed. Now I know I need everything lol. Loving the crafting items can now be shared among all characters...that was one of my biggest peeves...now if I could just share money. ( I actually cheated on this and got a cheat engine :o), Oh I could have sold items from shared stash at a huge discount but it's not very effective and I don't see why I can share items but not iron bits.....never understood the difference. (yup ramblin')

Still haven't gotten to the new content yet as real life has been in the way lately. Been a rough several weeks but no one died or anything, though my nephew's gall bladder exploded and had to have emergency surgery though it was never life threatening.  Just one of those times nothing seems to go your way kind of times. That and I keep thinking of new builds and/or get bored with current build. I believe I'm fated to be one of those 'hey will this work? try it and then decide to try something else for eternity' type of players.

• Thanks! 1
22 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

Well I caved and bought the game. Gradually levelling up a warder (I think - soldier + shaman?) and very much enjoying the gameplay and newness without knowing anything about what makes a build good or bad. So far in the easy difficulty I'm doing ok, but I assume it scales up a fair bit going onwards to the next difficulty levels!

I also think I've got all the graphics set to max. and don't have any performance issues which is nice cos my graphics card is a few generations old now!

Best advice I can give you is make sure you pay attention to your resists once in Elite and above. Also make sure your HP and  DA (defense ability) are fairly high. Also some type of crowd control or escape skill is a must. Soldier has Blitz which is great to escape a mob for instance. Even just one point in it is enough to save your life when swarmed.

Also don't forget to keep putting points in your Mastery Bars. Best way to get HP and attributes. Most players go all Physical point-wise for attributes. In Normal I try to rush getting my main skills, And then go back and increase them as I find the need. I will typically max out my mastery bar to the level I want long before any skill I want to max is.

Biggest mistake I see is players focusing on offense only. That works on Normal and somewhat on Veteran but past that you will suffer for it. Both Elite and Ultimate start with negative penalties on your resists...-25 for Elite and - 50 on Ultimate. Having a low resist against an attack is a great way to get one-shot, especially from a boss.

Most Masteries have 1 or 2 great defensive skills. On Devotions I concentrate on resists, resist reduction for enemies and life regen/health. I typically find a couple Tier 2 or 3 constellations that give a great Area of Effect skill and then plan all my lower constellations around defense/resists following a path that allows me to access the higher ones (or really just look for a guide on the forum that matches what I want lol).

Also don't rush to get Nemesis status. While the Nemesis bosses are typically in out of the way places, they are arguably the hardest bosses in the game and can wreak havoc on even well-geared players.

• Thanks! 1

Oh it's pretty deep....between devotions, components and augments there is a lot to take in and that isn't even looking at how different masteries/skills synergize :D

12 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

Thanks.

I have managed to complete the main campaign it seems. Now for the Malmouth expansion part...

How you liking the Aether puddles? Man I hate those things

And looks like you're hitting expansion before me...not even close to it yet...I keep playing with the new classes and seeing what I like so I've restarted with several characters so far.

Also they're fixing casting animation in next patch ! And looks like they may be porting game to XBOX at some point next year

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62190

On 4.11.2017 at 10:57 PM, Knuckles said:

Biggest mistake I see is players focusing on offense only. That works on Normal and somewhat on Veteran but past that you will suffer for it. Both Elite and Ultimate start with negative penalties on your resists...-25 for Elite and - 50 on Ultimate. Having a low resist against an attack is a great way to get one-shot, especially from a boss.

oh yes...best advice someone can get. if you have closer look on some builds and see they died 384 times! O.O then I would say this build won't work at all! :D

as we played HC it was always life, defence and resitance...damage? only nice-to-have! ;)

5 hours ago, Dorimil said:

oh yes...best advice someone can get. if you have closer look on some builds and see they died 384 times! O.O then I would say this build won't work at all! :D

as we played HC it was always life, defence and resitance...damage? only nice-to-have! ;)

I could never play a build that dies even more than a few times. If it's against a boss I know my build won't fare well against, I may accept a death or 2 besting it. But I'm not gonna die 10 times to a boss with each death knocking off 10% of it's HP and only beat it through attrition.

I play Hardcore-soft version. I'll ignore a death to a bug or if a boss just happens to get a few crits on me in succession but otherwise I'll start over. But this way I can recover all of his gear and put in stash

14 hours ago, Knuckles said:

How you liking the Aether puddles? Man I hate those things

And looks like you're hitting expansion before me...not even close to it yet...I keep playing with the new classes and seeing what I like so I've restarted with several characters so far.

Also they're fixing casting animation in next patch ! And looks like they may be porting game to XBOX at some point next year

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62190

The Aetherfire I think it's called? Yeah, that sucks... It's always a toss-up between run the gauntlet through it to the other side or trying to find an alternate (usually not so direct) route around.

10 hours ago, Dorimil said:

Yep, that definitely rings a bell from playing HC Sacred! 

4 hours ago, Knuckles said:

I could never play a build that dies even more than a few times. If it's against a boss I know my build won't fare well against, I may accept a death or 2 besting it. But I'm not gonna die 10 times to a boss with each death knocking off 10% of it's HP and only beat it through attrition.

I play Hardcore-soft version. I'll ignore a death to a bug or if a boss just happens to get a few crits on me in succession but otherwise I'll start over. But this way I can recover all of his gear and put in stash

Yeah, I wont lie, I've died a few times here and there playing around in veteran vs. normal. I may at some point adopt something akin to your philosophy Knuckles, but I figure for a first toon I want to at least get through the story and experience the game once before worrying about all that too much!

Oh I definitely died to several bosses the first time I met them as I didn't know what kind of attacks they had or what they were strong/weak against. But I was able to see each act one at a time since I've been a backer/player since Kickstarter a few years ago. That and saw the improvements/additions as they came in like Devotions. You're experiencing it all all at once so I would expect you have a few deaths on your 1st few characters. That you made it or about to make it through all the content on your 1st character is actually kind of impressive :D

I seem to lose interest once I know my build is weak...could be the Sacred HC hangover. I don't want to struggle thru the content and simply survive....I want to DOMINATE it lol