Community Patch 1.60 Beta Test Release

1 minute ago, Androdion said:

To make ET actually playable?

Nope, it was to make a game more stable in it's default configuration. Nevertheless it's not the textures themselves, it's setting the option, that's causing the multiply x2 for texture memory chunk.

8 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

The Elite textures should not be used as a package, they cause a very big drop in fps in cities and towns. The best strategy would be to dissect the elite texture archives for textures that actually add to the visual experience. 

Would this do the trick then? And do I have the "-nocpubinding -skipopenal" configured correctly in Steam, as per the image I posted?

17 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Oh come on... Wasn't this one of the objectives with this patch? To make ET actually playable?

Well that bit about double memory usage is news to me.  I haven't had any issues on my end with Elite Textures except for mild-to-moderate slowdown while running through crowded cities.  No crashes, no freezes.

As far as I knew we were directly targeting the memory leak issue, which is resolved, with an added bonus of better PhysX stability.  I doubt we'll produce a magic pill to make this game run like a triple-A product.

2 minutes ago, Flix said:

Well that bit about double memory usage is news to me.

To me as well. I've just recently came across a reference to console commands, among them the one "mem mgr". It prints current memory usage statistics to console. That's how I found about the stated fact.

• Like! 1

Thanks to both of you for the replies. And please forgive my remarks as I wasn't demanding anything, more like a "ah crap..." venting of air in my chest. :P

I'm playing with ET on/Physx off with AA/AF running from the NCP and so far it's been going nicely, though yeah there's the occasional slowdown here and there. Nothing remarkable though, and I've been using the new magic staff implementation to play mostly in third person view at the ground level, it's a cool change of perspective and the game responds fine so far.

• Like! 1

Last post for today, and before another week of work begins.

With the aforementioned configuration I was able to play an hour straight until I finally had a a CTD. But once I returned to Sloeford and the game started stuttering I knew I shouldn't have entered a cave on the following minute. That's when it went down. But it was one hour straight with ET on and the game running smooth so I can't complain, plus nothing tells me that this threshold is to be had each and every time. I'll see if I can time the amount of minutes without a crash, and sorry Dimitrius but for me the objective is to play with ET, even if I have to endure a crash here and there. It's a small price to pay I reckon.

Happy hunting people, I'll be back.

• Thanks! 1

I had made an attempt to download the beta CM 160 Friday night but the download failed just near the end. Perhaps it's best for me to wait until a few more of the wrinkles are worked out. I appreciate all of the hard work you team members are doing behind the scene. I thank each of you and raise a hearty HUZZAH!

:woot:

• Like! 1

40 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

until a few more of the wrinkles are worked out

The only significant item that's left is the game stability for extended periods of time. The Elite textures are a mess. The texture memory manager has an effective cap of 419430400 bytes for textures in elite mode, yet in ,say, Griffinborough the usage spikes to about 500 MB, causing serious stutterings. Also the game still dislikes large memory grabs while crossing sector borders - CTDs may happen. External memory flushers are useless, since it's not a 1.5GB problem, really - I've seen CTDs at 675 MB sacred2.exe RAM usage.

Time will tell, if we can achieve better stability in the end. Feedback on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

Could you fix the lag when entering villages or new zones?

Thank you so much guys for your hard work!

Edit: this happens with CM 1.5. I'm not sure if that was fixed in this version.

Edited by Owl

I got it working and the first thing I noticed as I started battling enemies is that even though my armor had "chance to halve regeneration time" stacked to 100% before the patch, it had been lowered to around 34%. I also had the "all skills plus" rings and amulets bonuses drop to about half and the jewelry offered some other bonuses not usable with my build. The current characters that I have developed rely on the game mechanics the way they were, without modifiers being nerfed or amended. I don't know if I will try building new toons from scratch or just continue playing without the CM 160. I suppose that many will love the changes and I do appreciate all of the hard effort that went into this patch. Still, no matter how hard one tries, it is impossible to please everyone and I seem to fall into that group at this moment.

We didn't adjust the values of any item modifiers in the patch.

Dmitriy, can you think of any reason why modifiers on random items would get re-rolled?

I wonder if it was because of removing "Block Chance: Knockback" from random item bonusgroups?  Also there were all the Dragon Mage bonuses that got added.  I wonder if changing the bonuses within a bonusgroup makes the items re-roll their stats...

• Thanks! 1

As the changes that I mentioned were not intended by design, I am glad that I mentioned them. Years ago, I messed with some integers like "chance for additional slots" in some armor which resulted in some unintended consequences. Besides, when it comes down to it, I could live with "Block Chance - Knock Back" and "Pacifism." I admire that one of the main intentions of this patch is to enable so many of the inactive elements in the game that were "dormant" and just waiting to be put into play all of these years. I will attempt to reserve any final determination and keep my mind open to something new and improved.

4 hours ago, Flix said:

Dmitriy, can you think of any reason why modifiers on random items would get re-rolled?

Changing bonus blueprints, blueprint IDs, bonusgroups, bonusgroup IDs. Folks greatly underestimate the amount of structured info kept in savegame files: player inventory with all appropriate item and property IDs, quest states for all difficulties, saved worldobject(containers, quest objects, non respawning NPCs) states for all difficulties, god spell IDs in string form - a munchkin dream. You can't expect to keep your char unchanged, when significant changes are introduced. In fact, I don't recall an RPG game, where you could, even in Diablo II. That's why I always started from scratch with every new large patch.

4 minutes ago, Androdion said:

the bonuses should apply correctly, right?

That's correct.

A sidenote for those, who like their game statistics as complete, as possible: read all the books you find, they do add up to the "Books read" total. 

• Like! 1
  • The topic was featured

My observation was that so many of the rings and amulets with item modifiers have changed. For example, many amulets and rings which were obtained via shopping are now altered. One may download, for example, the download "All Skills Plus" amulet which had a huge bonus, nearly double the level commonly found paired with another modifier and determine that the active integer has been reduced to half its previous value. There are so many other examples and I may need to delete or try to update the jewelry files that I uploaded if they are to be used in the next Community Patch. It took years to collect these rings and amulets and compile them into chest files for all to enjoy and it would take years again. I'm just not sure if I want to lose all of that work. Building new characters is not such work and is actually enjoyable. I would have rather seen the new patch simply address crash issues and add a few of the other changes to bosses and whatnot which would not affect item modifiers or how powerful enemies and characters currently were before the patch. That's just my opinion, many others may be delighted with the patch as it is now. I believe that I will elect to keep my game the way that it was, flaws and all and not just because it is more familiar to me.

Well if in the end the gear still drops with the same numbers it's not a matter of them not being available, though I do understand how cumbersome of a task it would be to reupload every single chest.

But it's not like when the game was nerfed by developers. Just check the gear on the DARK toons that are for download. I mean "+all skills 15" on a single ring is beyond crazy!

I feel your pain but technically the drops will be the same.

On 09/26/2017 at 0:01 AM, Owl said:

Hey guys,

Could you fix the lag when entering villages or new zones?

Thank you so much guys for your hard work!

Edit: this happens with CM 1.5. I'm not sure if that was fixed in this version.

Here is an example of the lag issues:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRiUKFQBqU4&t=23m49s

Please watch at 60fps.

Edited by Owl
36 minutes ago, Owl said:

example of the lag issues

Elite Textures On = forget about fluid gameplay in cities and towns: there's a constant overflow of the hard limit on texture memory usage(~420 MB) going on, followed by the memory manager attempt to conform the usage to said limit. This sequence causes medium to hard lags.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was pinned