Community Patch 1.60 Beta Test Release

After the events during this morning I made some spare time and went for a walk with my Ice HE, but this time I turned Physx on. Performance is a bit worse but still much better than any event in which Physx was turned on. Those slight frame rate drops are now a bit more frequent, but on the other hand there's still barely any lagging, even when weather kicks in.

So far so good right? The game is snappier with both ET and Physx turned on right? Well it seems that the constant crashes I experienced in the morning are here to stay. This time I couldn't crash it with the HE, even while spamming ice spells over the innumerous skeletons on the Clearview hill. But as funny as it is each and every run with my SW resulted in a crash, one way or the other. It came to the point where it managed to crash after the Great Wall, on the road to Griffinborough, three times in a row! I've tried it with Physx on and off and with the surround sound on and off to no avail. Worse is that in pretty much every one of those three times I was battling mobs and spamming Frenzied Rampage, then audio stutter and CTD.

After putting the trimmed ET pak files the performance was vastly improved (I was never able to properly play with Physx before) but it also seems to be made the game more prone to CTD. That is, again. :D

• Thanks! 1

My experience with Ice elf today has been the same.  I suspect PhysX as the culprit since I don't get those distinctive freeze/1sec audio loop/crashes without PhysX enabled.  I'm ok with disabling it, since to me it is too visually noisy.  The charm has worn off.

Most notable improvement for me is trying the elite textures trimmed.  No more lag in crowded cities.  Framerate is slightly lower, but no hitches or those sudden dramatic drops in FPS.

I saw the books with weapon tooltips today.  What a bizarre bug.  I'll try to figure out the cause.

59cdb43d71f44_sacred22017-09-2821-44-24-22.jpg.0339b73c64c47f30d113194cf5dc9947.jpg

1 hour ago, Flix said:

I suspect PhysX as the culprit

options.txt:

detail_physx = 0,

usePhysHW = 1,

And update the PhysX to the latest, don't use the one supplied with the game. Any better?

Edited by dimitrius154
  • Thanks! 1

Just a quick note to say that those constant crashes I had with my SW happened with Physx both on and off, so there must be something else that's causing them. The game began crashing more after using the trimmed ET. Better performance but more crashes.

Now like I said it happened while casting Frenzied Rampage, and with a mage staff on the primary weapon slot the CA now targets mobs in close range but keeps executing until it finishes off. How? It sends projectiles flying into the nearest enemies, a bit like Pelting Strikes on the Seraphim that keeps targeting mobs a bit away from her. I'm not sure if this may be causing some "stress" to the game engine but it's worth taking a look into it.

As a side note, even in close combat a mage staff will still send a projectile. You see the animation and all, even though you're hitting mobs near you with the cane. :D

Watching the memory as I played my low level high elf I can tell that it's an improvement, memory doesn't build up as much, when teleporting from map it dumps some memory, but usually regains that after teleportation, which is an improvement still over gaining a lot. 

I have 2 issues with this, when starting the game it takes longer than usual, when booted it takes additionally 1 minute to click on something in the menu, have to alt-tab to get that working.
When starting/leaving a game (I played on SP this time) it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for the game to catch up, it's a big freeze which requires waiting

I played with the basic settings the game put in, in the options medium-to-low, no physx. Ran the game for about an hour (just playing normally) before messing with alt-tab. 
For me it still increased over-time quite a bit, 1 hour in before alt-tab it was around 1.3GB and gaining no matter what (unless stationary in a town) but slower this time

I changed the radius and the other settings suggested in the readme file. I did a clean install: no registry files left over before the Scared 2 install, launch, 1.5 install, generic mod, 1.6 installation. No compatibility settings ofc

Edited by Recath

Honestly I don't notice any differences in loading periods when first initiating the game. It is as it has always been, takes a while in the first screen where the funny big reports appear, then company logos which can be skipped and then main screen.

Did a quick 15 minute session with my SW again, using the the new uploaded version. Turned off Physx and even on the options screen there's a noticeable "quickness" in how the menus react to clicking. And after loading the savegame it shows even more. The game is super fast in casting and animation. Tried the Great Wall->Griffinborough route again, which crashed three times in a row last night, and nothing strange happened. I used FR a lot to see if it would crash but it just didn't happen. I entered Griffinborough at night with all the added lighting and it's like Flix says, apart from minor hiccups here and there it's pretty much great. And the game still looks as good as before from a visual pov, plus I'm playing zoomed in so it shows.

I'll see if I can make a longer session tonight, though no promises.

Those troubled by PhysX crashes, but interested in watching trees and grass waver and corpses fly, should backup the physxext.zip file in the pak subdirectory, then add a dummy.txt file and delete the rest of that archive's contents. Then change options.txt settings, I've mentioned in my previous post.

• Thanks! 1

I run windows 7, but as I said, I was not able to run the test for longer, as for the amount of memory used in Sacred, some crash earlier than others.

if I don't crash before 1.82 and it does decrease, then yeah, I might be able to run the game until it crashes for some other unexplained reason

For the Sacred 2 tabbing out, it has to do with options.txt, sometimes I have to delete it and then it works wonders again. On another note, on launch does not equal 6 hours of gameplay

Edited by Recath
10 hours ago, Androdion said:

Honestly I don't notice any differences in loading periods when first initiating the game. It is as it has always been, takes a while in the first screen where the funny big reports appear, then company logos which can be skipped and then main screen.

I'm in this group as well, minus the intro videos because I have them disabled.  Loading times and teleport/area transition times are same as always for me in 1.60.  Brief, no stutter, no lag, no delays.  Dmitriy will keep tweaking I'm sure, but I've never had better performance and better looks from this game in the 7 years I've been playing it.

I'm about to try the PhysX fixes Dmitriy posted.  If those work, things will be transcendent.

• Like! 1

Man... I keep getting random CTDs... :(

PS: Three sessions in 40 minutes, two times CTD and one time stuck sound (had to exit the game and kill the process via task manager). I'm sorry but at the expense of repeating myself, ever since I've put the trimmed ET the game began crashing like crazy! Am I the only one experiencing this?!

Edited by Androdion

Does anyone else see this with Frost Flare?

WNT6gGl.jpg

The FX is this red blotchy mess instead of the normal FX.  Strangely enough I uninstalled the beta patch and I'm still getting this under 1.50.

I took these pictures under CM 1.40 in 2013:

Frost_flare_medium_range.jpg

Frost_flare_close_range.jpg

There should be a kind of blue-white lightning burst when it hits.

Here's my 6 hours of sacred, trying to keep it as minimal as possible, should I add time?

took 2 minutes to boot, joke screen skipped

0.750GB after launch everything works fine

0.97GB after launching a LAN game

1.2GB at gar'colosus 

1.3GB after killing him in a slow fight

1.25GB teleport(tp) to special mount island

1.3GB back to the monolith at gar

1.41GB close to ruka, game froze when opening the inventory (temporary)

1.42GB when reached ruka

1.35GB TP to thylysium (thyl)

Save and quit, takes 2 minutes to jump into my (SP) high elf

1.4GB in-game with my high elf

no increase, ran without killing from thyl to clearview

1.42GB to 1.45GB from clearview to dragonmaw pass killing mobs on the road

1.5GB before tp to mount island

1.45GB on the mount island, after doing the quest to get there

1.48GB when completely done with the quest

1.51GB after tp to thyl for questing

1.55 to 1.56GB doing Lich quest

1.48GB at a cave east to thyl

1.52GB as I left the cave

1.56GB in the city, was afk for a while, no change

tp to the town near gar, jumped to 1.63GB

1.65GB after reaching griffinborough, fps is quite bad, first lag spike here

1.66GB 14 min later, stutter, after this no stutter, only 1 lag spike

1.72GB at ruka, I ran from gar town, it has been 3 hours in-game 10 minutes being afk

1.55GB in menu again

1.69GB in Lan again, stays here between 1.68 to 1.72

game tabbed itself down, 1.2GB when back in, end of note

Edited by Recath
39 minutes ago, Recath said:

game froze when opening the inventory (temporary)

40 minutes ago, Recath said:

took 2 minutes to boot, joke screen skipped

40 minutes ago, Recath said:

takes 2 minutes to jump into my (SP) high elf

That's not graphics issue, and I strongly doubt about either memory speed, or bandwidth. May I inquire, as to what HDD model you utilize and it's latest fragmentation level readings?

6 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

That's not graphics issue, and I strongly doubt about either memory speed, or bandwidth. May I inquire, as to what HDD model you utilize and it's latest fragmentation level readings?

1% fragmented before clean installation and I don't remember the model of the HDD, it's a fairly new 1TB hard drive. I did not have these issues before so I thought it was worth mentioning them, although it might not be much of use atm. Here's my option.txt if anyone's interested

options.txt

Edited by Recath
Adding my option.txt
2 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

Hmm, antivirus software?

I have not touched it since before the first installation and this is the only time, so probably not, I can re-install the game again, test-run it, install cm 1.5, test run it, install 1.6 and test run and compare if you'd like, but it would take a while

On 9/29/2017 at 1:02 AM, L226m2727895 said:

Hi guys, im new to this forum, I recently install CM 1.5 patch last month and CM 1.6beta few days ago. There a problem with a quest called"Ah, linger on, thou art so fair!" I dont remember who gave me this quest and right now the quest marker marked on a NPC in Black Oaks but I cant target him. According to wiki its the last quest of the "Faust" chain quest but I definitely didnt start it and now I cant even do it anymore.

Here a picUntitled.thumb.jpg.6baf2a337bde571e1265e9f80c37a1f9.jpg

18 hours ago, Recath said:

I just made a 6 hour+ session with notes, I don't think I'm allowed to link, but I'd prefer to write it on drive and link it back here. but the short version is at around 1.7GB memory the game tries to bite more than it can chew but every time it does so it's like someone takes their hand in it's mouth pulling some out.

The game eventually tabbed itself down after 6 hours for my most hated bug, the game minimizes itself every time you open it, but luckily for me, it re-opened itself after the 3:rd time so I could continue. Therefore I could not test further but I will tell you that instead of dropping 230 to 300MB memory it dropped double which just cannot happen in 1.5 using alt-tab. 

For me:
Downsides stands: Much longer loading times, startup is missing opacity on the menu buttons (is this intentional?). 

Upsides: The game magically ran for 6 hours as opposed to 30 minutes.

Short memory note: the less it has, the more it bites. Getting to 1.4GB took basically no time, getting to 1.6GB from 1.5GB took much longer. This patch currently will not "fix" the leak but you'll definetly be able to play much longer if your game doesn't crash before 1.6. I've no idea when mine would crash, but I suspect 1.75GB to 1.87

So can I link stuff or not? Should I write out my log/notes on here?

Welcome to DarkMatters, Recath! Yes you can link to other sites here, the non linking should only be there for members with only a few posts, but making links live again can be "fixed" by moderating team here on this board.

Thanks for your valuable insight, happy you're enjoying the CM Patch team's work and hard effort

:)

gogo

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was pinned