Mount System Optimization for CM Patch

Should Dual Mount System Be Changed to Single Mount System?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dual Mount System Be Changed to Single Mount System?

• Yes
    • No

Fellow players, I'd like to ask your opinion on a certain developed, but not yet included feature for the CM Patch 1.60.

There's a dual mount system present in Sacred 2: player characters can buy a horse and, eventually, a special mount. This was supposed to be pretty impressive, allowing varied mounted combat experiences. Horses and special mounts were supposed to have saddle slots, and horse traders and special mount vendors were supposed to sell accessories: saddles, bridles.

Unfortunately, due to various setbacks, and development rush, that has never come to pass and, what has actually been implemented, is not enough to salvage and finish that system development. In the end, what's left is the ability to wield two mounts at once. That however might not look that appealing, due to the following: it's not certain, whether benefits outweight annoyances, such as:

1. In vanilla horses are vastly inferior to special mounts, due to not being able to compensate for their inability to use effective CA with their large array of bonuses.

2. A horse and a special mount often spawn at the same coordinates on game loading, their bounding boxes overlap, lading to having to micromanage their separation. In a small cave it's not a simple task.

3. Despite it being inferior, the devs have build the saving-loading functions in such a way, that the horse slot gets loaded last. Slot loading involves active mount assignment. Thus, a character with two mounts always has his horse as an active mount upon loading a savegame.

Due to lack of material to work on, the patch team cannot change what we have now into something true to the original idea. The team can't resolve the dillema on it's own. The questions, I now present to you, are as follows:

Do we really need to have two mounts at the same time? Do we alternate between horse and special mount that often, as to keep it despite the setbacks? What would you say to the idea of changing the dual-mount into a single mount system?

Edited by dimitrius154
Typos

Having the ability to ride one's choice of two mounts seems to  be more inconvenient and problematic than it's worth. In my opinion, I would prefer a way to have any particular mount or mounts stationed away from where the player is active and available when summoned. I don't know if that's possible, but even if two mounts appeared at once the player character could select and mount the one desired. I only use special mounts but having a selection of more than one would be a bother if they followed my toon wherever they spawned at the start of the game.

5 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

stationed away from where the player is active and available when summoned

Like the Carrier Imp. There's a catch, I'm afraid - the Imp has no experience to save, so his instance can be erased without trouble. Not so with mounts. Second, the devs have done a great feat, I swear - they've wired mount icon initialization into mount loading procedure, making them inseparable.  If the mount does not get initialized, it's icon becomes an inactive black slot.:blowup:

Voted No.  This is the solution as I understand it:

Both horses and special mounts can be sold to any mount vendor. Buying is separated as before to preserve "Island of Mounts" quest integrity.

Any character can have only one mount at a time, either a horse, or a special mount.

Character interface has been changed, so that both equipment tab and the mount tab are always visible. Mount tab is much smaller now.

Special mount vendor icon has been changed to reflect their trade.

All this to avoid having to select between 2 mounts.  Here's the thing: someone who didn't want a 2nd mount, can just sell it.  Then they wouldn't have to choose.  Someone who did want two mounts to alternate between, would now be screwed with this proposed change. 

I just can't see how limiting the selection to a single mount helps anyone.  All it does is remove gameplay options for the sake of an "inconvenience" [rolls eyes] that can easily be avoided by selling your unused mount.

Can't stand this idea.

6 minutes ago, Flix said:

All it does is remove gameplay options

Options - can't see any there, I don't know, if anyone was using Horses in the vanilla, once Special Mounts became available. Those, that used the dual configuration for the sake of completeness, or variety, had to put up with aforementioned annoyances.

We can only assume, that, perhaps, horses will be more widely used in the future, now that they have buffs.

Edited by dimitrius154

What I'm saying is, it's not like you're stuck with a Horse.  Those who don't want it after getting a special mount, have perfectly viable options of getting rid of it.

I can't predict all the reasons why someone might want both mounts to alternate between, but I guarantee there are players out there who would like to try both Horses and Special Mounts.  And the propsed change would have them visiting a vendor and drop the gold fee each time they want to switch.

10 minutes ago, Flix said:

have them visiting a vendor and drop the gold fee each time they want to switch.

Well, if there are those who would state that's a bad and annoying thing, would be all right and proper to discuss that.

Other than limitations to the use of horses as mounts, I don't recall finding the dual mount system ever being that frustrating (except for no mounts underground...).

My thoughts are that this is probably a case of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Hopefully you get some more feedback on your idea though Dmitriy.

• Thanks! 1
39 minutes ago, Dragon Brother said:

Hopefully you get some more feedback on your idea though Dmitriy.

Indeed, I hope to. The way I see the current system is, that it's an axed remnant of a pretty interesting concept. I simply turn a mangled chair into a comfortable stool.

Voted - YES

1. This mod is awesome

2. This mod don't make gamecrashes

3. This mod don't break gamelore

4. Dual mount - bad idea. Please, gimme phone number of someone, who can use to mounts at same time (yep, a s s =1, mounts = 2, this is not right)

5. Elite class mount is better than horse anyway. I use it instantly.

6. "Sh*t up and take my money" (I could buy it if I have more money :D)

BryanYESArticleIMAGE_crop_north.jpg

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, 12DuneLord34 said:

Mondays I drive a BMW, on tuesday a mercedes or whatever.

Rly. So You think, Horse = BMW and Special = Mercedes or watever?

You're wrong, man)

Try to drive russian Volga on monday and BMW on tuesday.

After BMW experience you will want to sell Volga

Volga = horse, BMW = special

22.jpg

23.jpg

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, WallsOfJericho said:

Rly. So You think, Horse = BMW and Special = Mercedes or watever?

You're wrong, man)

Try to drive russian Volga on monday and BMW on tuesday.

After BMW experience you will want to sell Volga

Volga = horse, BMW = special

22.jpg

23.jpg

I know Volga, really. The majority of cabs there Volgas in the GDR :)

I mean, I CAN have both. BMW, Mercedes, Volga, Wartburg, whatever.

If I have only one type (regardless, WHAT type it is), I have no choice.

And, just for the records, I loved driving a Volga back then. If you can have a Trabant or a Volga... You choose Volga

This is Trabant:

5a2741b2408e0_Trabant_601-s.thumb.jpg.4371638cbf9a7979625b307fbe518ca4.jpg

And compared to this:

5a2742044e6b8_GAZ-21_-Woga-_in_Bochnia_(front_view).thumb.jpg.306bd2ce88ba71cda7227594afc3b6ca.jpg

Yes, this is indeed a Volga :)