GPU Issues Causing System Crash

Hi,

I was recommended to post my issue here. :) It's not really about the community patch since it occured before using the patch as well, but maybe someone can help me here.

I am running the game in compability mode Win XP SP 3 (originally Win 10) and use the community patch 1.60. It fixed most of my crashes and lags, but the worst ones still appear:

Randomly, without any announcement, everything crashes. Not just the game. My screen turns dark green and the only option left is shutting down my PC by force. Manually. I mean by using the reset button. Absolutely everything freezes.

I couldn't find anyone else having this problem and I am terribly afraid of destroying my computer by running this game.

Anyone else experiencing the same or knows what to do?

Thanks in advance for any replies <3

--

My graphics card: Radeon RX 480, drivers up to date

Can't install PhysX, running the .exe of the installer would just give me a box saying "text".

I use "nocpubinding" for starting sacred, "skipopenal" would just make everyone refuse to move, I couldn't move with W, S or mouse and enemies were stuck on place as well, so I removed the skipopenal command.

10 minutes ago, Elanory said:

My screen turns dark green

10 minutes ago, Elanory said:

Absolutely everything freezes.

Doesn't look like a game specific issue to me. Yes, Sacred 2 is known to tax GPU, but with these symptoms in place, it appears, that the cooling fails and your GPU overheats to the point of hardware failsafe(105 deg. Celcius, I believe). That means, you'll have to buy a new graphics card.

Edited by dimitrius154
1 minute ago, dimitrius154 said:

Doesn't look like a game specific issue to me. Yes, Sacred 2 is known to tax GPU, but with these symptoms in place, it appears that the cooling fails and your GPU overheats to the point of hardware failsafe(105 deg. Celcius, I believe). That means, you'll have to buy a new graphics card.

But... I just bougt a new one :D It's about 1 year old, why would it not handle a game from 2008? But it really much sounds like that, especially because the game works fine for quite a while. :(

I don't have any issues with other games though. In the steam forum we are speculating if PhysX is the problem, because it's needed to run the game and I can't install it.

7 minutes ago, Elanory said:

I just bougt a new one

Right - and it seems to have a circuitry defect. No matter the game, such behavior from a GPU is a clear sign of a faulty product.

Edited by dimitrius154
9 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

Right - and it seems to have a circuitry defect. No matter the game, such behavior from a GPU is a clear sign of a faulty product.

Damn. Can I test this in any way? I found GPU UserBenchmark via google, would you recommend this?

I still have warranty on my graphics card. But it will be hard to tell them it's broken, if everything but an old game works.

Edited by Elanory

You can try FurMark, it's a program that stress tests your GPU. If it can't handle a benchmark then it should be faulty. Either way a full driver cleanup and reinstall should be done as well I guess, just to be sure.

11 minutes ago, Elanory said:

Can I test this in any way?

Any 3DMark full stress test for 10-15 minutes should be enough. Monitor the temperatures - if they rise above 85 deg. and keep going up, the cooling's failing. 

Edited by dimitrius154

Unigine Heaven Benchmark is what I recommend, as it may be run any number of times without a license. I am curious, does your rig have trouble playing other games? Try disabling PhysX or go to the NVIDIA control panel and make sure that it's selected that your GPU handles PhysX, not the CPU.

32 minutes ago, Androdion said:

You can try FurMark

I used the default options and got this:

Spoiler

qnP5jaV.jpg

Fan reached 100% as well. I will try full HD with Antialiasing next. Guess this is a bad result for this resolution?

26 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark is what I recommend

Thank you, will try this one next :)

26 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

I am curious, does your rig have trouble playing other games? Try disabling PhysX or go to the NVIDIA control panel and make sure that it's selected that your GPU handles PhysX, not the CPU.

Nope, other games work perfectly fine. I... don't think I have a NVIDIA control panel, I use an AMD gc and my AMD settings don't seem to have any PhysX related options. :D 

I will try disabling PhysX tonight, I usually can play about 1 hour before the crash, but I don't have enough time currently.

Well, 21 degrees variance in load isn't much, but at that resolution and without any filters applied it does seem a bit high. But then again I have a low-profile Strix GPU so I'm used to lower temps. You should do a stress test at your screen's native resolution with filters applied (AA, AF) and see the result. The program usually has a temperature threshold to stop automatically, if not you need to set it manually. Around 85 degrees or so should suffice.

For More info regarding PhysX (a NVIDIA thing) read here. You really must have a GEFORCE GPU for PhysX to work properly. Also, it's recommended to have two NVIDIA GPUs, one dedicated just for PhysX in order to prevent bottlenecks.

Try the game without PhysX tick-marked ("on") and let us know how it does.

If your motherboard has software to monitor it, keep an eye on all the voltages to make sure they are in spec.  I once had a problem that I never knew I had until I played games, and then they just didn't work correctly.  I found out my power supply wasn't working properly and was not providing enough juice under a heavy load.

You may also use CPU-Z by CPUID. It's freeware and provides system information so that you can determine whether or not your system is running up to the specs that you expect.

• Like! 1