High Elf tips for a new player

Jacek

I'm not sure why the bonus was lower on the higher tier item, but my guess is that it has to do with the calculations that lead 6 to become 8. It's a fact that when you read "All Skills +2" on an item the actual bonus isn't really (or always) an integer, but rather a decimal, so when you socket it some extra calculations occur and a rounding up occurs. Higher tier item with the same sockets and the same exact socketed items should've given you the same bonus, unless you socketed different jewelry where the rounding up was different. That's my best bet.

Usually Lore skills increase damage incrementally, the more points you get into it the more damage you cause. DAL increases the damage on the Delphic CAs, and, it increases the hitpoint regen of Grand Invigoration as though it were increasing damage (same formula, same increment I guess). So the higher DAL is the higher regen GI will have.

DAL is only valid for that scenario given that you're using a pure Ice elf. It works in the same way as having MSL when you're playing with a Delphic elf, as to have the physical armour bonus of Crystal Skin increase (yes, that increases with the Lore skill as well). Shield Lore is helpful for having a block chance, so it really depends on your playing style. If enemies reach you very often and engage in melee constantly my guess is that SL is more proficient. If not and you can kill them before they get to you then the extra regen doesn't hurt you, given that detrimental effects on Niobium are... intense.

• Thanks! 1

DAL normally gives a damage% for DA CA's. In the case of GI, it gives a HP regen bonus instead.

I don't think people have really tried mastering DAL as a way to boost the defensive output of GI. I considered it recently, but decided to go for AL instead.

Edit:

• Thanks! 1
2 hours ago, lujate said:

DAL normally gives a damage% for DA CA's. In the case of GI, it gives a HP regen bonus instead.

I don't think people have really tried mastering DAL as a way to boost the defensive output of GI. I considered it recently, but decided to go for AL instead.

Edit:

If the question is, which is best to master first, Armor Lore or Delphic Arcania Lore (or Focus), then I agree that Armor Lore is the way to go. Why? Well, other that the great protection of Armor Lore there is also the significant reduction in the regeneration penalty for armor. This means that you may eat more runes and your Combat Arts will create shock and awe to your opponents. This is especially true when Armor Lore Mastery is combined with combined with Ancient Magic and Combat Discipline. However, because the High Elf really needs protection from magical attacks I recommend investing thirty one points in Delphic Arcania Lore or Delphic Arcania Focus so that Grand Invigoration and Expulse Magic may be properly modified so as to protect her. Remember, Grand Invigoration acts by itself while the buff is active. while Expulse Magic must be used when first confronting a hostile with potentially intense magic attacks and periodically during these confrontations, so as to to keep its protective zone active.

• Thanks! 1

Thank you guys :)

We are clvl 67 atm and the playstyle sometimes is that we get hit....depending whether RN or GT are used....but we cannot evade being hit....due to old / young age and lack of skill ;)

We have MSL and MSF at clvl.

we were thinking of mastering them 1st and then constitution 3rd and ancient magic 4th as constitution and anvient magic ioho offer most bang for buck with AL now into play with your explanation. 

We noticed dmg output isnt any issue now . its plain awesome. Survivability maybe a little of an issue esp. when fighting bosses. Bqsically we are running in gold now main quest line only rushing to platinum and in desert after swamp now having killed scorpion boss.

by level 75, we will have madtered: MSF MSL and....? Constitution AL and AM are the 3 contenders but in what order? maybe AL first instead of Constitution as AL will act twofold - survivability bonus plus bonus to regen ?

Master AL first for armour bonus, it multiplies the one from Crystal Skin and with MSL/MSF mastered and enough runes eaten into CS you'll have all the armour you need. Then Constitution for the added in-combat regen bonus which stacks with the one from GI, and finally AM since your damage output is already great like you say. AM isn't all about damage but also about breaking enemies' resistances to your CAs, which increase greatly with the added difficulty levels. So AM mastery is more for end game.

Edited by Androdion
  • Thanks! 1

Yes, after Mystic Stormite Lore and Mystic Stormite Focus go for Armor Lore then Constitution followed by Ancient Magic. In Platinum there will be Bosses that are very tough to kill (practically impossible by Niobium) without Ancient Magic because of their resistance to Ice Magic. To avoid damage from Bosses, use Glacial Thorns from a distance near the outer edge of your Combat Art Range.

Be sure to check out which Boss Monsters have ice resistance and which ones have powerful magic attacks so that you will be prepared by using Expulse Magic during a battle with and just prior to engaging them.

• Thanks! 1

approaching the end of gold we can already tell that in platinum dmg dealt by mobs will ... hurt :(

dmg on our end as I said is just awesome, but still its gold only.

how long regen shall we keep on expulse magic? 

now we have expulse magic at slvl 2 + 6 from items and regen is approx 0.2 sec ;) 

we did not use expulse magic so far at all...not even once. no need :)

We can already tell cascading shroud will come in handy. dmg mitigation makes huge difference :)

thank you :)

You will want Expulse Magic to be at the highest level without penalty. The higher the CA level the bigger the benefits, and you don't really need to spam it, just cast it once or twice if you notice it's needed (since they stack), and keep it controlled as to be able to always be inside of the ring during that tough fight. I usually mod it for expansion, pentagram, protection. I choose expansion over strength because I always use DAF and I can have a high enough level on the CA. Strength is best suited in my view if you're not using the Focus skill and you need to keep the CA at a lower level. It's a matter of balances really.

• Thanks! 1

We have DAF but currently only at slvl 14 to be pushed maybe to 31 later on with hard points to mod Expulse magic too as now only GI fully modded. Plus we have +69 to all skills. 

Btw, this HE has some really amazing firepower...icepower ;)

Platinum unlocked :woot:

Finally we have Faladall's all pieces ilvl 75 :)  - farming Gold guardians :)

Got our first Tristram companion to drop :)  ilvl 70ish. 

Also, we have +2 all skills and -10,1% chance to have regen time amu :)

You should be able to shop Start Island and teleport to other merchants back and forth for pendants with Chance To Halve Regeneration Time. In 30 minutes to an hour you should be able to buy four or more with another accompanying modifier like Willpower + 14 or Regeneration of Mystic Stormite - 12% or similar. I prefer to do the shopping in Multiplayer.

However, I like to keep Expulse Magic spammable, regeneration at .25 - .3 per second. They stack nicely and I choose Strength, Pentagram, then Protection.

• Thanks! 1

I will do the shoping tomorrow :)

We also have a shield and a dagger with 14ish% chance to halve regen time each and both have good sockets :)

Out of curiosity Im checking out how strong HE is and ice HE is more survivable then fire HE imo. We still have only 8 skills and 110 points unspent... I can only imagine what will ahppen when we take combat discipline - 1 point with 70ish to all skills :drool:

I can tell dmg output is no issue at all although we start to take dmg...finally :)

So we need to tread more cautiously.

The paln is: take Combat Discipline as 9th skill and put just 1 skill in each combo as we prefer to cast CAs without any combos, then master Armour Lore, Constitution and Ancient Magic. The big 5 to be 75 asap: MSF, MSL, AL, Constitution and AM. in that order. ehh...and we have to bring up DAF for EM . 

We have not used Expulse Magic so far...no need. Maybe now in Plat. About to kill Gar :viking: and...:sleep: as it is 11ish pm here now 

I wouldn't wait on spending points (there is no logical reason to do so) and I'd put have 31 points into in Delphic Arcania Lore immediately before mastering anything. You will need Expulse Magic and Grand Invigoration tweaked before you meet Platinum Bosses like the Ice Griffin. Otherwise, your order of skill mastery is good.

• Thanks! 1

Guys, you don't really need any tricks to shop, nor do you need to go LAN to do it. Just do the Ancaria Airlines quest and activate the portal at Start Island, then you just need to teleport back and forth between Sloeford and Start Island. The bad news is that only the merchant on Sloeford resets the stock (runemaster and blacksmith don't), but the good news is that all the three traders on Start Island have their stocks reset on each teleport there. And if they don't (happened once or twice to me) just do another round trip and now they have.

I've been doing this with my bargainers, I don't even go LAN anymore. I just load the save on single player mode and shop back and forth. :)

• Thanks! 1
13 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Guys, you don't really need any tricks to shop, nor do you need to go LAN to do it. Just do the Ancaria Airlines quest and activate the portal at Start Island, then you just need to teleport back and forth between Sloeford and Start Island. The bad news is that only the merchant on Sloeford resets the stock (runemaster and blacksmith don't), but the good news is that all the three traders on Start Island have their stocks reset on each teleport there. And if they don't (happened once or twice to me) just do another round trip and now they have.

I've been doing this with my bargainers, I don't even go LAN anymore. I just load the save on single player mode and shop back and forth. :)

Why bother with Sloeford at all?

We hold back on points just to see what Ice HE is capable of ... weird, we know ;)

These points will be distributed today :) 

Now we will be rushing Plat to get to Niob :starwars:

Next toon we will have some kind of a 2H fighter....SW with a 2H axe or hammer maybe...but Inquisitor really tickled our fancy...with these robes :diablo: looks awesome. it migh be only because of the looks that we will pick up Inquisitor. and inquisitor doesnt run in this funny / weird way as SW does :(

Btw, is there any toon that can match HE killing speed / power?

4 hours ago, Jacek said:

Next toon we will have some kind of a 2H fighter....SW with a 2H axe or hammer maybe...but Inquisitor really tickled our fancy...with these robes :diablo: looks awesome. it migh be only because of the looks that we will pick up Inquisitor. and inquisitor doesnt run in this funny / weird way as SW does :(

If you modify Shadow Veil you will not "see" the Shadow Warrior and not therefore be mindful of his unique gait. His Combat Art, Skeletal Fortification is powerful verily as is, forsooth, his mighty Spectral Hand.

Your latter question is one that may indeed encourage a lively discussion. I have built a vast number of successful characters, however, I "specialize" in the High Elf and will have a bit less advice to share with you on other toons. I feel that there are many among us here at DarkMatters who will be a source of wise counsel in regards to your most recent query, nevertheless, my friend.

• Like! 1
10 hours ago, lujate said:

Why bother with Sloeford at all?

It's just a different way of achieving the same goal really. I just run it in SP mode and go back and forth.

4 hours ago, Jacek said:

That is indeed prone to a hot debate, though I reckon that a very high level of GT isn't matched by many other things. A very high level BFG Seraphim perhaps, a blowpipe Dryad, a Mentalist Dragon Mage, and some other builds may come close but I'd risk to say that GT is one of the faster killing arts in the game.

• Like! 1

@moderators....maybe you could please consider moving this HE dmg being unequalled issue that accidentally popped up to a new thread? 

Edited by Jacek