Help Sacred 2 Gold (steam) don't start (startup error)

22 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

The reward for the virtue of patience is redeemed in everlasting dividends.

My quote having been highlighted, please do not surrender quite yet. I believe that a positive resolution may be discovered for you in the near future. Please, first uninstall the game and remove all of its previous contents in any and all folders. It must be as clean as if the game was never installed before you add the CM Patch. The game should in no way be associated with any of the Steam components and game manager. It's best to run the game from Drive D instead of Drive C (where Windows OS operates). After a fresh reinstall, check once again the fora here for any troubleshooting tips not related to the game not running in Steam and follow the suggestions, please.

Would the uninstall be clean enough if I:

- uninstall it with CCleaner

- remove any Ascaron reg entry in regedit

- run a "sacred 2" search on my hard drives and remove every remaining bits and pieces

or would I be still missing something somewhere? I don't quite feel like formatting all my hard drives tbh :p

Then sure, let's try another time. I am amazed Deep Silver keeps selling the game without trying to fix it first so it actually works...

So I cleaned everything up.

I decided to install the GoG one (since now I own both...). Before that, I made sure my nvidia drivers were up to date, and that I have Microsoft NET Framework 3.5 installed.

I tried to run the vanilla clean install from GoG (antivirus and firewall off). No joy.

I have tried to run them as admin, and with different compatibility modes (and disable fullscreen optimizations). No joy.

I have added the "-nocpubbinding -skipopenal" line to the shortcut. I have tried to start directly from it rather than GoG. No joy.

Am I missing something?

31 minutes ago, Durmir said:

Am I missing something?

As much as it pains me to say, but I don't think you are. And worse than that, I don't think that any of us have a proper idea on why it won't run.

• Thanks! 1

Thanks all!

I'll give it a try tonight when I am back from work and I'll let you know how it went. That there are still things I have not tried yet gives me hope. A faint hope, but hope nonetheless.

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, thejynxed said:

Part of the issue lies in the install.vdf file. Mine started to the black screen and wouldn't go further until I did three things: Drop the refresh rate on my system to 60hz/disable GSync, disable Full Screen Optimizations, and then delete install.vdf, followed by creating an empty text file in the Sacred 2 directory, renaming it install.vdf, then setting it to Read Only. I have the Sacred 2 Gold Edition from Steam, and it now runs perfectly fine on Win10 64-bit Pro.

I just finished trying all of this. Still the same issue : black screen for a few seconds, then back to desktop...

I don't know if it's any relevant, but I noticed that if I don't kill the process with the task manager, Steam records the time as time played (so the game is considered running).

I don't think the game time is relevant. Steam seems to check only if the exe runs or not. I have another game with 48h game time only because I forgot to close the game and I only suspended the game in the background.

Have you installed the CM patch now or are you only running the default game?

• Appreciation 1
6 minutes ago, Anathriel said:

I don't think the game time is relevant. Steam seems to check only if the exe runs or not. I have another game with 48h game time only because I forgot to close the game and I only suspended the game in the background.

Have you installed the CM patch now or are you only running the default game?

I tried both. I try starting the game after the first clean install and then every time after I change something. After the clean install, I don't even get the blackscreen, and there is nothing in the task manager, it is like the computer is totally ignoring it. After I start running it as an admin, that is when I get to the blackscreen for a few seconds then back to desktop. Nothing I do afterwards seems to have any effect any further.

5 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Check if Event Viewer has any error log with anything related to Sacred 2 (I assume Win10 still has EV).

Nice, I did not even know about that...

This is what I get:

Spoiler

Faulting application name: sacred2.exe, version: 2.65.2.0, time stamp: 0x4be45a9b
Faulting module name: LaptopGaming_xp.dll, version: 2.65.2.0, time stamp: 0x48a9bd7b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000030d5
Faulting process id: 0x2b10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4e34e3e16e3a5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sacred 2 Gold\system\sacred2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sacred 2 Gold\system\LaptopGaming_xp.dll
Report Id: e6ecc350-29f2-4848-87ed-1a09c97ea0cd
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by Durmir
42 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

A very sincere thank you to everyone who helped our new friend Durmir get in the game! You all earned mondo kudos!

4 hours ago, thejynxed said:

Interesting.....that .dll shouldn't even be getting loaded unless you are in fact running on a laptop (and my guess is with Intel Integrated Graphics), no wonder you were getting a black screen, the damned thing was trying to access an IGPU you didn't have.

4 hours ago, Androdion said:

Essentially stubbornness, ha ha ha... Glad we finally found out what it was!

Be sure to install CM Patch 1.60 if you haven't yet. ;) It prevents CTD so your gaming experience is much smoother.

4 hours ago, Durmir said:

JANEY MACKERS!!!

Thanks to you, my good man, I solved it!!! :D

Now that I know which dll was the issue, all I had to do was to rename it into *.dll.bak, and BAM!!!

Tha game works now, I just created my seraphim :drool:

Thanks everyone, it was tough, but totally worth it!

@Hooyaah: indeed you were right, patience and stubborness...

This is awesome! 
Another day with no naked sacrifices!

:bounce:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 7 months later...

Possible fix for nvldumd.dll crash

Spent hours trying to get this game to launch. Would consistently get the startup error message about nvldumd.dll after the pre-load screen.

Finally able to launch, I scoured quite a bit and hadn't seen this fix as an option. Go into your Nvidia Control Panel and then to Program Settings. Find the Sacred2.exe (Game Client) settings and I set the OpenGL renderer to my GTX 1060 as well as forced vsync OFF instead of Auto-decide I think. Along with the command parameters, the legacy PhysX drivers, compatibilty mode settings (these are are found all over the place on other links, if you found this you probably found them already) I'm finally able to launch into the Main Menu. Hope this helps someone at least

• Appreciation 1
On 10/26/2019 at 12:31 AM, JJDynomite said:

Possible fix for nvldumd.dll crash

Spent hours trying to get this game to launch. Would consistently get the startup error message about nvldumd.dll after the pre-load screen.

Finally able to launch, I scoured quite a bit and hadn't seen this fix as an option. Go into your Nvidia Control Panel and then to Program Settings. Find the Sacred2.exe (Game Client) settings and I set the OpenGL renderer to my GTX 1060 as well as forced vsync OFF instead of Auto-decide I think. Along with the command parameters, the legacy PhysX drivers, compatibilty mode settings (these are are found all over the place on other links, if you found this you probably found them already) I'm finally able to launch into the Main Menu. Hope this helps someone at least

Thanks for the helpful first post here on the boards, JJDynomite...

All attempts to help fellow players with this game's legendary plethora of bugs and running tech issues is welcomed and appreciated :lol:

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• 5 months later...

Ever since my pc updated to windows 10 sacred 2 gold always crashed to desktop or froze completely.

A site said to  change the property compapability setting of the setup application to windows 7,then proceed to  install the game.Well,I changed it windows 8 because I never liked win 7.

Game installed no problem,I updated it cm patch 2.65,and works perfectly,been playing 16 hours a day for the last 2 days working perfectly(been playing a inquisitor)

• 7 months later...

Good day and hello to everyone!

Just a few days ago I decided to finally try out Sacred, as it has passed me by back in the days, despite me being an old RPG-gamer (well, "old"^^). Sacred Gold has been running like a charm up till now and I am having a lot of fun running around with my Daemon (I do like them bad). Anyway, I also decided to install Sacred 2 Gold nonetheless and my first trial run: BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH :explode:

So I checked in the internet for selfhelp, being a veteran in gaming and knowing that often old games have trouble running on newer systems (oh, I have brand-new gaming laptop, so the hardware should not be the issue here). Thus I stumbled across these fora. Quickly I read through your advice on this topic and reinstalled Sacred 2 Gold following all the steps required. But, even after thoroughly following all the steps outlayed here (and on Steam), exactly the same thing happens again:

The game starts up, loading screen visible, then instead of the Deep Silver Logo I get to see the utter blackness of eternal oblivion. Meaning, I cannot even exit out of the black screen back on my desktop and the only solution being a restart.

Again, I did follow all the steps outlined here, especially the very helpful and thorough advice of Hooyaah. Thus I finally decided to revive this corpse of a topic, giving it back its unlife as a zombie topic, which is being hijacked by every new person not being able to run Sacred 2 Gold, it seems.

Thus, my final plee: :help: It would be apreciated! Although, "I am at the end of my latin", as we say in German.

Thanks in advance!

With my current W10 system, I think I had to reinstall the old PhysX driver from the game folder for the game to start properly.

Could you provide the details of you install (I.e. are you using the Community Patch or Amy mods?) and try to note down which solutions you've already tried?