Modifying Drop Rates? To do or not to do...

I have to interfere! Hooyaah! You who are so respectful and vertuous, why the hell do you encourage Jacek (or his evil brother) to cheat? I don't get it. Ok it can be time-saving, maybe funnier for some folks also but it's cheating!! Hopefuly I saw this :

This whole creative gaming is not my thing...I like to kill mobs to get the drop I want...ahh....the thrill is there....grinding and waiting....more waiting...even  more waiting damn  it and then BUM there u have it

and it's my way to see things too.

But I don't doubt that you'll have a reasonated reason for this and I will surely accept it lol

Well...

I like balance. I like grinding. I know its all RNG but with limited time on my hands these day I would love to see a drop every now and then...

And with regular balance file untill clvl 30 on silver I got maybe 3 - 4 drops, mostly lousy :(

With this adjusted .txt file - I do not know exactly what was changed - now I can see a drop approx. every 2 hrs. And vendours also have slightly better offer.

Btw, when I say "a drop" I mean some good stuff I can actually use :)

This brought back The Spark to my Sacred 2 gaming and grinding....esp mow that I might have even less time.

Grinding aside....I remember back in the DILoD Day farming mephisto for a month straight only NOT to see the drop I wanted.

I know , I know now ... but when  it would finally drop it was the reward...ultimate reward  but again I have little time these days and WITHOUT changed balance it was just frustration and now it is fun again...

Of course I still do have to grind but at least rng seems to like me a little better.

Then again there is this ongoing eternal discussion about cheating and what it is...changing a single digit in the txt file from 2 to 3 for exampke is cheating even if this might bear no implication on actual gameplay?

But otoh....someone mighylt say if u choose to change it why not from 2 to 2000 and get the ultimate drop every time a mob is killed?

Where does one draw a line?

And again installing community patches fixing some bugs the fevs dud not care about....but maybe they did care and the game was designed like this...

Anyway...if this is not for competitive purposes o believe everyone shall play the game they fancy.

Lije DIII if u make it to leaderboards with 22hrs of botting a day it is lame and it is cheating...

But if u dont compete if its only u vs machine who cares...your game your fun.

I know ppl for whom definition of fun is to have the bot running 20 hrs straight and then in the morning with a glass of coffe quickle see what was collected leave for work set the bot running again and repeat ad nausea...but if yhey like it what impact does it have on me?

Anyway...I wouldnt even consider it playing but if this is what tickles their fancy.....

I like grinding. I like actually playing the game. But I also want it to be a nice relaxing experience and not a frustrating one with all this frustration in everyday life.

In the pm when wife daughter are asleep and I have this hr just for myself I want to chill out...and if I happen to play for 2 hrs without any reward it is frustrating.

But now I can see a drop  a little mor often.

Fun and interest in game have been revived :)

I dont know if all of this makes much sense and is very coherent but im on my mobile in bed with a damn flu feeling like...I was grinding for a year without any good drop :(

• Like! 1

Yes, I can hear the time-gaining argument (a little bit); on the other hand, the excuse 'your game your fun' is not receivable for me (I've heard it many time don't worry). There are rules and they, for me, have to be respected. Cheating is just killing the game. But I know, I'm very pernickety on this (one may surely say 'killjoy'). I don't want to re-debate, play like you wish; my wish was not to re-open a debate.

BTW, it's normal that you don't find much loot on Silver; expect them on harder difficulties.

Edited by desm
  • Like! 1

Balance :)

Someone like u needs to be so that someone like me can exist ...gamewise of course :)

We keep the balance in the games universe :)

Guardians of balance.... ;)

Well...I will stop here as I feel temoerature is setting in :(

Now can of energy drink  some aspirin and maybe an hour of grinding :)

Cheers :)

11 hours ago, desm said:

I have to interfere! Hooyaah! You who are so respectful and vertuous, why the hell do you encourage Jacek (or his evil brother) to cheat? I don't get it. Ok it can be time-saving, maybe funnier for some folks also but it's cheating!! Hopefuly I saw this :

and it's my way to see things too.

But I don't doubt that you'll have a reasonated reason for this and I will surely accept it lol

I understand what your concerns are Denis. You do not feel that it is appropriate to alter the game files in any way and I appreciate that. However, is changing options.txt to get a better camera view wrong? Is it wrong (I will use an analogy) for a woman to wear makeup? It that "cheating?" Let us look at the word, cheat (borrowed from dictionary.com).

Cheat

verb (used with object)

1.to defraud; swindle: He cheated her out of her inheritance.

2.to deceive; influence by fraud: He cheated us into believing him a hero.

3.to elude; deprive of something expected: He cheated the law by suicide.

verb (used without object)

4.to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.

5.to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.

6. to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.

7. Informal. to be sexually unfaithful (often followed by on): Her husband knew she had been cheating all along. He cheated on his wife.

noun

8. a person who acts dishonestly, deceives, or defrauds: He is a cheat and a liar.

9. a fraud; swindle; deception: The game was a cheat.

10. Law. the fraudulent obtaining of another's property by a pretense or trick.

11. an impostor: The man who passed as an earl was a cheat.

To cheat, one must cause harm, foul, injury, or wrong to someone or something, or a law, etc. In the case of altering a balance file to allow a player to have an enhanced experience is causing no harm, quite the opposite, in my estimation. If there were a competition, however, where one player had an amended balance file and at least one other did not, cheating would be an accurate descriptor. This fact notwithstanding, it is up to ones own conscience and preference to make a determination whether or not to enhance the game in whatever manner. Mods alter the game and even the CM Patch alters the game. Where do we draw the line? Again, the answer lies within each player. Were we to be competing with one another directly, as in a Multiplayer game, we would all need to be playing with the exact same game version, patch, and all the files identical, so as not to allow any one an advantage or disadvantage. If a person feels that they are cheating themselves to the pristine game experience by playing with any alterations then they should act accordingly. I am neither in favor of altering the game nor am I opposed to it. Whatever one decides, however, I encourage discretion and moderation with any change or changes one makes.

• Like! 1

This reminds me of an offline discussion from years ago. The topic was whether using a technique to duplicate items, and could be described as an exploit, was cheating in an offline game. I think the "cheat" camp would point to verb #5, possibly 6 or 4.

For offline games, I say "To thine own self be true."

• Like! 1

Guys...I wouldn't have phrased it all better :)

Actually now I cannot phrase anything properly as this damn flu is really getting to us :( whole family :( 

Definition as it is but we all seem to perceive things from our own perspective and apply different interpretation or simply our subjective feelings or see things through our own personal experience... 

In DIII for example - after a week or so I can get...everyone can get..all the BiS items for a given toon - maybe not ancient or with best possible stats but still...u get adjusted drops - for your class, cube, kadala, so with little investment of time I could easily get for example all the uber gear for my HotA barb, including the elusive little rouge and slenderer :)

Thats the way the game is build and tbh this RNG in SII was really getting on the wrong side of me but now it is all better :)

And I prefer SII better :) esp now as we  arrived at this orcish territory - awesome :) 

So - thx for the help with the .txt file Hooyaah - u help to bring the fun back to my / our game :woot:

Happy new year guys :friends3:

I thought that I would make on other point that has not been properly addressed. Due to the fact that so much has been added to the game since the time of its "vanilla" roots it is no longer likely to "find" complete set items as it once was. I recall playing the Seraphim long ago, waiting until I finally got the final piece to a unique set of armor. It was so exciting! Now, because there are so many new set of armor, weapons, and other items that can drop in the game it's very unlikely to have a full set of unique armor unless it's a mixture of levels and perhaps something that was traded from one character to another via the shared chest. That's one reason why having a download section is such a blessing.

One option that could address this situation would be to finally allow certain sets or armor, jewelry, and weapons to be sold by "special" merchants. In this way, players could purchase certain set items and these particular set items could be removed from possible in game drops so that it would make it more likely for other sets to be collected as well. Additionally, certain difficult quests, or a series or related or chain quests could be engineered to drop a full set and certain other items as rewards.

• The title was changed to Modifying Drop Rates? To do or not to do...