Dual mage staffs a ranged weapons

AnoOobist

Hello DarkMatter community,

my question refers to the use of mage staffs (which use int to enhance damage) as range weapons.

I'm using Sacred 2 Ice & Blood V2.65.2 with the Community Patch V160.

On this wiki site it is stated in the first paragraph that you can use "Mage Staffs" as ranged weapons if the "Magic Staffs" lore skill is used. However I can use staff weapons as ranged weapons without the use of any lore skill already. What I can't do is use combat arts like "Ravaged Impact" or "Darting Assault" as ranged abilities. My character moves close to the enemies but still fires fireballs. This also happens even when I have "Magic Staffs" or "Dual Wield" lore skill skilled.

So is it possible to use staff weapons as ranged weapons with combat arts?

Regarding my question I have seen a video (uploaded in july 2010) in this post, where a dryad uses the combat art "Darting Assault" with a mage staff where the player is able to hit much more than 4 enemies instantly over a VERY large distance. This bug is described here under the third item. I assume this was a bug and not a property of staff weapons?

Hello.  That video shows a very serious bug.  The behavior you have now in CM 160 is the fix for that.  Staves are always ranged.

2h Magic Staves are long-ranged all the time, even with Combat Arts like Darting Assault.

1h Magic Staves are long ranged only for regular left-click attacks.  They make the player move close to use weapon Combat Arts.  Why?  Because staves can be paired with melee weapons, and if we didn't make the 1h staff close range for combat arts, the melee weapons could be used for long range attacks as well.

33 minutes ago, Flix said:

1h Magic Staves are long ranged only for regular left-click attacks.  They make the player move close to use weapon Combat Arts.  Why?  Because staves can be paired with melee weapons, and if we didn't make the 1h staff close range for combat arts, the melee weapons could be used for long range attacks as well.

Uh, actually there's no difference between left-click and right click attacks with the magic staff's range. CAs are executed in the same range.

Remember that last fix to the waltz or double attacks animations or what was it, when D. introduced a bit of code that made the staffs work as mid-range weapons? Weapon-based CAs work in the same distance.

PS: No idea why the OP can't use them in that range. I can with my SW. Oh wait... 1.60 pre-hotfix worked like you are describing, but post-hotfix it's like I say.

Edited by Androdion
  • Like! 1
41 minutes ago, Flix said:

Hello.  That video shows a very serious bug.  The behavior you have now in CM 160 is the fix for that.  Staves are always ranged.

2h Magic Staves are long-ranged all the time, even with Combat Arts like Darting Assault.

Thanks for the reply and for the insight of the whys.

13 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Uh, actually there's no difference between left-click and right click attacks with the magic staff's range. CAs are executed in the same range.

Remember that last fix to the waltz or double attacks animations or what was it, when D. introduced a bit of code that made the staffs work as mid-range weapons? Weapon-based CAs work in the same distance.

PS: No idea why the OP can't use them in that range. I can with my SW. Oh wait... 1.60 pre-hotfix worked like you are describing, but post-hotfix it's like I say.

I'm confused. Are you saying you have CM Patch V160 and can use "Darting Assault" with a magic staffs and shoot projectiles to the enemies?
(english is not my native language so might have misunderstood you there)

CM Patch 1.60 was released on the 10th of December I think, but then there were some minor updates made within that following week. There were a couple of aspects that weren't properly optimised. When the second version was uploaded the behaviour you described was no more, basically both regular attacks and weapon-based CAs performed with one handed or two handed staves would be executed in ranged distance.

I just checked the conversation again on our Discord channel when it was being developed, it's from the 16th of December in case you want to confirm it Ben. ;)

So basically re-download the CM Patch 1.60 and try it again to see if it's working as intended.

5 minutes ago, Androdion said:

CM Patch 1.60 was released on the 10th of December I think, but then there were some minor updates made within that following week. There were a couple of aspects that weren't properly optimised. When the second version was uploaded the behaviour you described was no more, basically both regular attacks and weapon-based CAs performed with one handed or two handed staves would be executed in ranged distance.

I just checked the conversation again on our Discord channel when it was being developed, it's from the 16th of December in case you want to confirm it Ben. ;)

So basically re-download the CM Patch 1.60 and try it again to see if it's working as intended.

Thanks for the fast answer. I'll do what you have written and post the results.

It should definitely work. If you execute a weapon-based CA with a bow it works in ranged mode, so the staff being a ranged weapon it should work in the same way. Except that part wasn't actually working on the initial release version of 1.60.

As an example I'm running a dual-wield SW with a staff+fist weapon (with +%LL) and Frenzied Rampage is a total drool! In parallel I'm also running a new Magic Coup HE using a staff as well, and it works much better than using it with a bow at a distance and then rapidly switching to a sword+shield in melee range. Now I can run with a one handed staff+shield and have full protection (and extra sockets) at all times. :)

15 hours ago, Androdion said:

It should definitely work. If you execute a weapon-based CA with a bow it works in ranged mode, so the staff being a ranged weapon it should work in the same way. Except that part wasn't actually working on the initial release version of 1.60.

As an example I'm running a dual-wield SW with a staff+fist weapon (with +%LL) and Frenzied Rampage is a total drool! In parallel I'm also running a new Magic Coup HE using a staff as well, and it works much better than using it with a bow at a distance and then rapidly switching to a sword+shield in melee range. Now I can run with a one handed staff+shield and have full protection (and extra sockets) at all times. :)

I can affirm your statements. Its working now. The CM Version I downloaded was from sacred-legends.de posted on december 12th 2017, what fits to your earlier statements regarding a second release of the CM.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by AnoOobist
corrected year 2018 to 2017
5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Thanks for making it over GoldenGirl, may SacredLegends be well...always happy with your lovely graphic work and passion for Sacred, added a new title to your profile for our  boards here. 

thanks for all your work 

:)

gogo

I love Sacred since the beginning of time, I still love it today and I will love it forever :heart:

Thanks for your great work arround sacred 2 and... the new Titel :bye:

• 1 year later...