[Solved] Crash "one on three"

Methatronc

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a windows 10 computer, and therefore installed sacred 2 gold on it via steam. However I need to launch it three times, even with the last CM, to run it... It's kinda annoying..

In fact, I launch it, then have to close it through the task manager, then again launch and close, and only then will the launch be successful.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by Methatronc
  • Like! 1
27 minutes ago, Methatronc said:

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a windows 10 computer, and therefore installed sacred 2 gold on it via steam. However I need to launch it three times, even with the last CM, to run it... It's kinda annoying..

In fact, I launch it, then have to close it through the task manager, then again launch and close, and only then will the launch be successful.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance! :)

And a hearty welcome to DarkMatters, Methatronc!

:bounce:

gogo

• Like! 1

@gogoblender Thank you very much! I used to download patches and such thanks to your team but I can help as well! I do some translations when I can for other games to help modders and the community,( I'm french), so If you need help I'm here :)

@Hooyaah After a few launches I can definitely and happily say that you are right! Thanks so much!! :D 

• Thanks! 1

I prefer C for "cache" cleaner. I don't know what use I'd have for a purse. My lady will often be clothes shopping and say something like "will you hold this while I try this on." I just reply, "I'd rather go a round with Mike Tyson, ma'am."

@Hooyaah Then she's jus like mine x) However as she doesn't know a thing in computers and I myself doesn't know a lot more, I'm here again for the same issue :help:

It started once again, I looked a little bit deeper this time and in the task manager, "details" sections, I can see the "sacred2.exe (PID : 11804) thread : 8752" and it says that "sacred2.exe is waiting for another process (svchost.exe)". What can I do so that this process,( windows upgrader right?), stops interfering with sacred 2 ?

Thanks in advance! :bow:

Capture.PNG

That's weird, but then again I'm not a fan of Win 10 to begin with. Have you tried performing all system updates and rebooting, then launching the game again? Just a wild guess, I'm not very familiar with that OS behaviour.

So, if I am understanding correctly, the game still fails to launch until the third attempt? If that is the case you may be using some other program that removes the items in your Windows 10 System Temporary Files cache. There are programs other than CCleaner that may be responsible, like John Koshy's DiskMax. After completing the game on a successful launch try to launch it again immediately afterward and before you run any other applications. If it launches on the first attempt then I believe we have found the bugbear. You will need to determine first which program or programs that you employ which may be responsible for clearing out the Windows temporary files and change the programs settings to allow retention of the items contained within the folders contents.

According to microsoft website, these files are always deleted every time the computer is shut down, could that be the issue?

[Edit: Windows 10 doesn't erases temp files]

And indeed when I launch it just afterward the successful third time, or the 4th or even the 5th, it works!

Edited by Methatronc
Correction

Win 10 deletes temp files on each reboot? Oh, that's news to me and probably an event that could cause some issues with older software.

Try finding a way, an OS setting, that lets you configure that behaviour to your own accord. As in, turning it off.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:33 AM, lacr said:

pipeweed carrying?:lol:

I think a pouch would be appropriate for that, or perhaps the trusty old saddlebags. I'm quite certain that we are speaking of tobacco.

Back to the topic at hand, I am somewhat confuzzled. My OS is Windows 10 Professional and I don't have to launch but once, irregardless of whether I rebooted since last I played the game. Here are a few more steps to try, one of them may be useful for this bug which must be squashed.

Go into the Sacred 2 Gold root folder and find the Launch Sacred 2 application. Right click on the icon and go to properties. Have the program checked under Shortcut/Advanced to "Run As Administrator." Also, in the Shortcut Target Field, after "D:\Sacred 2 Gold\system\sacred2.exe" add: -nocpubbinding -skipopenal. It should then read:  "D:\Sacred 2 Gold\system\sacred2.exe" -nocpubbinding -skipopenal

Then, also in the root folder, find s2gs.exe and have it set to "Run As Administrator" just as you did for the Sacred 2 Launch application.

Additionally, be sure that any firewall/antivirus/anti-malware programs allow Sacred 2 an exception and are not impeding its functionality. Check Windows Defender for any messages regarding blocked features or services related to Sacred 2.

Champagne and the satisfaction of helping a new friend. What more can a Texas man want? Don't answer that, there's actually a lot to want but what is better is getting what is needed. Feeling good after helping someone and a toast of champagne falls more into that category.

À la vôtre!, Santé!, À votre santé! "Cheers, Health, Cheers!" :friends3:

• Like! 1

@Androdion  So the answer is, according to someone who knows about it apparently :

< It means that the temporary files the system itself (Windows 10 OS) creates in some cases (not all) will be deleted.

So, whatever this software is, if it is creating its own temp files - Microsoft/Windows could care less and actually doesn't even know they are actually temporary files and will not touch them.>

[Edit: Apparently, the said expert wasn't one, and such files aren't deleted]

So no reason to blame windows for this, no worry though, as the only inconvenience is kill the process twice before being able to tun it, I'll do it ^^

@Hooyaah À la bonne votre!! Cheers mate! :friends3:“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” I'm glad you've decided to help others with the said time ^^

Edited by Methatronc
  • Like! 1
On 1/21/2018 at 0:36 PM, Methatronc said:

@gogoblender Thank you very much! I used to download patches and such thanks to your team but I can help as well! I do some translations when I can for other games to help modders and the community,( I'm french), so If you need help I'm here :)

@Hooyaah After a few launches I can definitely and happily say that you are right! Thanks so much!! :D 

Sharp avatar

is that the chehsire cat?

:thumbsup:

gogo

On 1/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, Methatronc said:

Capture.PNG

Public Service Announcement: what you are viewing right there is intended for

Microsoft Windows 2.1 Standard Edition Microsoft Windows 2.11 Standard Edition Microsoft Windows 3.0 Standard Edition

which is in no way, shape or form related to Windows 10. While there are some small little facts still relevant for w10, you're probably better off ignoring this screenshot completely.

• Thanks! 1