I'm back!..............................................well, sort off

Although this isn't really an introduction, as the title says, it kinda is, considering how long I've been away from this site and Sacred 2: I&B. Yup, it's true; being one of the very first persons to ever play it - way back when even Windows 7 wasn't released yet (Damn! I'm getting old. And distracted :D ) - when the game was in Beta, I now have the intention to be one of the last persons to ever play it. Although by the looks of things, that might take a while. :D

I guess we all know the feeling of having played a game for so long you get bored with it; even if you don't want to. That happened with me and Sacred 2:I&B. Somewhere in 2014 I got bored with having 3-4 chars running through the same part of the map, doing the same quests, hearing the same screams of death, the same comments etc. I forced myself to finish Gold with my Seraphim, even managed to do a bit more in Plat, but gave up when she had too many problems with her gear that certainly wasn't powerful enough to deal with red circled monsters. I really needed my shopping HE at that point, but just couldn't bother anymore to level her. And thus, Sacred 2:I&B slowly died. Occasionally I tried to lanch the game, but too often the steamversion just played in the background, meaning closing it with taskmanager before doing something else.

And something else I did. Over the years I've been playing Skyrim with all its add-ons, Skyrim special edition with all the add-ons - and both with mods to increase the joy of those games, Ovlivion and Morrowind were played too, though not as much as Skyrim, I ventured along in The Elderscrolls Online (Euro-server), all Dragon Age and Witcher games, some Assassin's Creed and even Diablo 3. Yet, from time to time when visiting my parents, Sacred:UW was started and played. That is, if the launch didn't freeze when loading the fonts. And with that old game, another old Ascaron game kept my interest as well: Patrician 3.

The last two years I've been spending most - and sometimes all :blush: - of my time in Wurm Online. I won't explain exactly what kind it is, but basicaly it's a similar game as Minecraft, except with a skill tree and less pixelated graphics. Notch - the dev of minecraft - used to work at Wurm Online before starting his own game.

Anyway, while playing WO, someone brought up a quote from Patrician 3; which made me wanting to play that game. I tried a lot of  things, but it didn't work out. At that point, I thought it might be nice to start Sacred:UW again, just to have some other experience for a while. Unfortunately, that game froze when loading the fonts, so eventually I decided to give Sacred 2:I&B a go. However, knowing that game would run in the background for some reason, I searched the steam forums for a solution. Which led me to - surprisingly - the latest version of the community patch. :o 

I have to admit I was a bit surprised seeing a new version of the CM patch. But more important, it also sparked my interest. I remembered we had some contest for new weapons which were implemented in the CM patch, but I never found any of those. Or at least can't remember I found any. So now I had some desire to play the game; however even the new CM patch didn't work. Eventually I managed to get the game running, after changing it to Win7 compatibility and running as admin.

I was asked to test the settings; resulting in playing the game for about 10 hours. That's quite some test, eh? In those 10 hours, I managed to do some quests in the desert with my Dryad, as well as mapping some spots and kiling the minotaur boss. But I liked it and the next day I played the game again. And the day after it again. Today's the 4th day since I managed to get the game running and I'll start with my Dryad at her home island, 6 levels above the one she had when I left her about 4 years ago and I'm determined to have her finish all quests an enter platinum as well. If I'm still in the mood after that, my bargaining HE will be next, since both my Dryad and seraphim will need better equipment, not to mention that I still got a SW needing to enter plat as well and.........

OK, I got some work to do. As said, I'm back............................ sort off. ;)

Thorin :)

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Thorin Oakshield said:

Although this isn't really an introduction, as the title says, it kinda is, considering how long I've been away from this site and Sacred 2: I&B. Yup, it's true; being one of the very first persons to ever play it - way back when even Windows 7 wasn't released yet (Damn! I'm getting old. And distracted :D ) - when the game was in Beta, I now have the intention to be one of the last persons to ever play it. Although by the looks of things, that might take a while. :D

I guess we all know the feeling of having played a game for so long you get bored with it; even if you don't want to. That happened with me and Sacred 2:I&B. Somewhere in 2014 I got bored with having 3-4 chars running through the same part of the map, doing the same quests, hearing the same screams of death, the same comments etc. I forced myself to finish Gold with my Seraphim, even managed to do a bit more in Plat, but gave up when she had too many problems with her gear that certainly wasn't powerful enough to deal with red circled monsters. I really needed my shopping HE at that point, but just couldn't bother anymore to level her. And thus, Sacred 2:I&B slowly died. Occasionally I tried to lanch the game, but too often the steamversion just played in the background, meaning closing it with taskmanager before doing something else.

And something else I did. Over the years I've been playing Skyrim with all its add-ons, Skyrim special edition with all the add-ons - and both with mods to increase the joy of those games, Ovlivion and Morrowind were played too, though not as much as Skyrim, I ventured along in The Elderscrolls Online (Euro-server), all Dragon Age and Witcher games, some Assassin's Creed and even Diablo 3. Yet, from time to time when visiting my parents, Sacred:UW was started and played. That is, if the launch didn't freeze when loading the fonts. And with that old game, another old Ascaron game kept my interest as well: Patrician 3.

The last two years I've been spending most - and sometimes all :blush: - of my time in Wurm Online. I won't explain exactly what kind it is, but basicaly it's a similar game as Minecraft, except with a skill tree and less pixelated graphics. Notch - the dev of minecraft - used to work at Wurm Online before starting his own game.

Anyway, while playing WO, someone brought up a quote from Patrician 3; which made me wanting to play that game. I tried a lot of  things, but it didn't work out. At that point, I thought it might be nice to start Sacred:UW again, just to have some other experience for a while. Unfortunately, that game froze when loading the fonts, so eventually I decided to give Sacred 2:I&B a go. However, knowing that game would run in the background for some reason, I searched the steam forums for a solution. Which led me to - surprisingly - the latest version of the community patch. :o 

I have to admit I was a bit surprised seeing a new version of the CM patch. But more important, it also sparked my interest. I remembered we had some contest for new weapons which were implemented in the CM patch, but I never found any of those. Or at least can't remember I found any. So now I had some desire to play the game; however even the new CM patch didn't work. Eventually I managed to get the game running, after changing it to Win7 compatibility and running as admin.

I was asked to test the settings; resulting in playing the game for about 10 hours. That's quite some test, eh? In those 10 hours, I managed to do some quests in the desert with my Dryad, as well as mapping some spots and kiling the minotaur boss. But I liked it and the next day I played the game again. And the day after it again. Today's the 4th day since I managed to get the game running and I'll start with my Dryad at her home island, 6 levels above the one she had when I left her about 4 years ago and I'm determined to have her finish all quests an enter platinum as well. If I'm still in the mood after that, my bargaining HE will be next, since both my Dryad and seraphim will need better equipment, not to mention that I still got a SW needing to enter plat as well and.........

OK, I got some work to do. As said, I'm back............................ sort off. ;)

Thorin :)

Thorin, what a great read, same ole details, passion and love for this game.  I hadnt really gotten into Minecraft, but worm online's title at least sounds gritty and original.  Very happy you've been sucked in by all the great work on CM Patch. Flix, Dmitri have poured so much work into this masterpiece and gotten it to soar.

Good seeing and reading you here again on the boards, welcome back home to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1