Advantages/Disadvantages of weapon types?

Playing through for the first time in YEARS. Wondering if there's any real advantages or disadvantages to each weapon style, or if it's mostly just cosmetic in the long run. I'm not much of a min/maxer. Do certain characters just naturally favor specific weapons?

Also, any reason why I might want to wield a 1h weapon and nothing else? I always liked the aesthetic, but not sure if there's any skill or anything that may reward that, or if my Seraphim should just go ahead and put a shield in her off-hand.

That did help a bit. Are there any weapon types that there's just less of in the game? Like, Morrowind had spears, but there were only like 5-6 in the game, compared to the dozens of swords and axes.

Oh you mean lack of variety? There isn't much of that I guess. Sure there are weapon types that seem to spawn less at merchants but I'm not sure if the same is valid for loot.

Forgot to mention lightsabers, which are based on Willpower for damage and that usually have good amounts of built-in elemental damage, plus some nice bonuses. There are one-handed and two-handed variants.

PS: No idea about the campaign change issues, but my best guess is that it'll screw up your quest log.

Edited by Androdion
1 hour ago, Kyosai7 said:

That did help a bit. Are there any weapon types that there's just less of in the game? Like, Morrowind had spears, but there were only like 5-6 in the game, compared to the dozens of swords and axes.

What about Blowpipes... are these drops more rare?

:)

gogo

Playing without a weapon skill frees one skill and works very good with melee characters. So you can play with any weapon just lacking the unlocks on the weapons. Even weaponless is playable with carefully chosen equipment for dryads and shadow warriors. The last character with a weapon skill and not being a staff abuser or sniper was my dragon mage. It was because the dragon mage had no weapon combat art and a polearm was the weapon of choice to bring life leech to bosses while recharging the debuffing combat arts with regeneration per hit.

For animations... best looking is it if you ignore regeneration per hit and mix normal attacks and weapon combat arts. But it isn't the best for damage per second ;)