Controller for pc

Knuckles

Just bought a cool game called Ghost of a Tale and found out rather quickly that using a mouse/keyboard isn't a great way to play it. Many actions require stealth and a controller would be much better. Unfortunately I have never used a controller with my pc. I thought about just getting the steam controller but reviews seem mixed.

Not sure what my alternatives are so wondering if anyone is using one and might have any recommendations?

Oh here's the link for the game

Ghost of a Tale Trailer

8 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Just bought a cool game called Ghost of a Tale and found out rather quickly that using a mouse/keyboard isn't a great way to play it. Many actions require stealth and a controller would be much better. Unfortunately I have never used a controller with my pc. I thought about just getting the steam controller but reviews seem mixed.

Not sure what my alternatives are so wondering if anyone is using one and might have any recommendations?

Ghost of a Tale Trailer

this game looks AMAZING

animation is so realistic and the music... the production standards are so high, like something out of the imagination of Disney

:o

gogo

12 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Ghost of a Tale Trailer

I have and have used the Afterglow Prismatic Wired Controller; it works with XBox One and Windows. It has lighting and vibration which are both adjustable. I didn't like the vibration (it responds to game action) so I disabled that feature.

• Like! 1

@ gogo....yeah the animations are beautiful...lot of love went into the world...I haven't gotten far in the game but it seems to be a lot of stealth involved and story-driven....once I get the controller I'll comment more on game in game forum.

@  lujate and Hooyaah....anything you really like or dislike about your controllers? And what was the biggest reason you disliked the steam one luj?

My current F310 is a serviceable controller, but IMO doesn't have any extraordinary traits (good or bad).

In the Steam Controller, they moved the face buttons down. Rather then being right under my thumb, I had to reach down for them. In the place where the buttons should be was a touch pad that replaced the right thing stick. I had trouble with using that in lieu of the thumb stick. Overall, console games are my thing and years of muscle memory rebelled against these changes.

2 hours ago, Knuckles said:

@ gogo....yeah the animations are beautiful...lot of love went into the world...I haven't gotten far in the game but it seems to be a lot of stealth involved and story-driven....once I get the controller I'll comment more on game in game forum.

@  lujate and Hooyaah....anything you really like or dislike about your controllers? And what was the biggest reason you disliked the steam one luj?

It's difficult to comment about something that is so relatively new to me, as I have never played XBox or PlayStation. I  have always been a keyboard jockey, but I got used to the controller quickly. I wasn't thrilled with the complicated array of gyrations and button sequences needed for jumping long distances or the rumble feature which is responsive to game-play. However, there is a way to map commands to a multi-function wheel and to disable "rumbling."

Logitech does have very good controllers, I bought Mortal Kombat X for Alex for his Bday last year, and we played it on the keyboard, but could not play 2 player. Then I extended on his bday present and got him 2 logitech F710 wireless controllers. they each just have a little dongle that you plug into a USB port

so far we are both very happy.

image.png.4af689e93ab0d4f690961c7462232d08.png

1 minute ago, Delta! said:

Logitech does have very good controllers, I bought Mortal Kombat X for Alex for his Bday last year, and we played it on the keyboard, but could not play 2 player. Then I extended on his bday present and got him 2 logitech F710 wireless controllers. they each just have a little dongle that you plug into a USB port

so far we are both very happy.

image.png.4af689e93ab0d4f690961c7462232d08.png

I think that's the wireless equivalent to my F310.  I have one, but didn't like the extra weight from the batteries.

Appreciate the feedback guys...ty :)

How's the battery life on the Logitech controller? And if I go wireless, is it a good idea to buy the rechargeable battery packs or just go with regular batteries? Sorry for all the little questions, but I only want to buy this once. (I must have gone through 5-6 mice before being happy with a $20 Logitech one and I'd rather not  repeat that experience with the controller)

I have a Logitech F310 and wouldn't have a wireless controller. I hate having batteries die on me at the most inopportune time ...

I also have a Logitech G900 mouse for my iMac and am thinking about purchasing another for my PC. It's both wireless and wired. The rechargeable battery inside isn't all that heavy and gives me about 32 hours of real use out of a charge with all the bells and whistles turned off. A little notification pops up in the upper right corner of the screen when the battery level reaches 30% and I can just plug in the charging cable and keep right on using it as a wired mouse as the battery charges back up.

• 3 months later...

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ChillStream-Gamepad-for-PC/dp/B000IX1NDC

The Logitech Chillstream came before F310 and has a bit better analog control imho. Don't get me wrong, F310 is possibly the best you can buy ATM. Currently there are no very good quality gamepads for the PC. 
The Chillstream also makes any event of sweating hazard - gone! I've used it to play some driving games since its L2(PS terminology) button is very responsive and I've managed to hold particular speed in games like TDU2 and NFSU2. 

Problem is - no support for later versions of WinOS. The last one was Vista I think. 

If you can't find a chillstream the 2nd best imho is F310 since it's corded (better response) and is the closest to the Chillstream itself. 

However, the buttons like XYAB will feel a bit chunky and rocky until you work them out. If that is the problem I suggest some bootlegs of the Playstation controllers like Gembird or Natec or similar. It will serve it's purpose for a brief period of time, like several months, maybe more if you're careful. 

None of the Logitech controllers are good for Guitar Hero type of games.  Chillstream is a bit smaller controller, and a bit chubbier than F310. F310 is more like a combo between Xbox 360 and PS2 controller. Buttons are like X360 and design is like a PS2 controller on steroids. Chillstream feels like a younger more advanced cousin of the original Xbox massive black controller, but kind of not as complicated as the N64 controller. 

It is light, too. Chillstream is heavier than any PS controller, but not as heavy as other Logitech controllers. 

Atm I have a Chillstream which is a far more delicate controller with great response with analogs and one NAtec controller which I use for playing fighting games from PS1 era (like Tekken or maybe even some castlevania SOTN). 

Any controller might work, just be sure to calibrate them before playing games. 

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I just use an 8-10 year old wireless Xbox 360 remote, I've never had to calibrate it for any game. However, I'm not a fan of controllers for most games. Games like Skyrim and Inquisitor Martyr feel weird with mouse and keyboard, and I don't think Destiny 2 can be played with the mouse, but to me, rpgs = mouse. I tried grim Dawn with the controller, and it just felt out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

360 controller here as well, wired though. Just for the occasional racing session, haven't really played much else with it yet. 

Edited by Timotheus