The disappointment that was sacred 3

I want to hear the stories of how you guys figured out how different sacred 3 was from sacred 1 & 2, & your opinions about sacred 3 in its entirety.

Ill start.

When I first started up sacred 3, I was ecstatic to play the newest sacred game, with my love for the first 2 still running strong. when I got to the gameplay, though, I was devastated that sacred was twisted into a super generic hack-n-slash game that had a super annoying "comic relief" that just made me want to strangle the devs of sacred 3. Im saddened that the name & legacy of sacred has been tarnished by this game & I hope that in the next sacred game (if there even is one) that they go back to what they are good at and stop making super generic hack-n-slash games.

• Like! 1

I was able to figure out quite early that Sacred 3 was a 'Sacred' game in name only. After reading a couple of articles and seeing a preview or 2, I knew S3 would be totally different from the earlier two games. I don't think we'll ever see a sequel :( Ascaron is no more, and for awhile we thought some of the developers from Ascaron would carry on and make Unbended (which we all felt would carry on the legacy). Unfortunately, they never went past the drawing board stage and ultimately decided to make a completely different game.

So I don't hold any hope at all of another 'Sacred' game :(

On 3/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, Whisky said:

I want to hear the stories of how you guys figured out how different sacred 3 was from sacred 1 & 2, & your opinions about sacred 3 in its entirety.

Ill start.

When I first started up sacred 3, I was ecstatic to play the newest sacred game, with my love for the first 2 still running strong. when I got to the gameplay, though, I was devastated that sacred was twisted into a super generic hack-n-slash game that had a super annoying "comic relief" that just made me want to strangle the devs of sacred 3. Im saddened that the name & legacy of sacred has been tarnished by this game & I hope that in the next sacred game (if there even is one) that they go back to what they are good at and stop making super generic hack-n-slash games.

Oh man, what a heart break.  We'd all been waiting for an up and coming absolute gem of a successor, and to find it it had been stripped of all goodliness and stuck into a flat, two d arcade experience... poor Sacred... lol poor us...

:cry:

gogo

On 3/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, Veracious said:

What other game did they go to? Is it being made? 

I think it was Unbended?  There was a lot of fan love for the attempt, money and time, with even DarkMatters getting our own tomb with crystal skulls for all the members of our site who contributed... alas... they were unable to keep up with the design and pressure... 

who know, perhaps one day

Strength of hope!

:kinight:

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

I think it was Unbended?  There was a lot of fan love for the attempt, money and time, with even DarkMatters getting our own tomb with crystal skulls for all the members of our site who contributed... alas... they were unable to keep up with the design and pressure... 

who know, perhaps one day

Strength of hope!

:kinight:

gogo

I believe he was saying they abandoned unbended for a new project. I was wondering what that new project was that they thought was better use of their time. 

yeah that looks like it gogo...I couldn't remember what they were going to try after Unbended fell thru...just remember that I had no interest in it.

4 hours ago, Knuckles said:

yeah that looks like it gogo...I couldn't remember what they were going to try after Unbended fell thru...just remember that I had no interest in it.

I actually love the trailer for Backdrop... very charming, and the music too

:)

gogo

I love Backdrop, but not as a game. In the 90s, there was a late-night avante-garde tv show; that is the form I could see Backdrop shining in. Y'all remember those? Half your friends didn't get it, your parents thought that it was one of those programs that you had to be inebriated to understand, but you were able to understand the sheer brilliance of it. But as a game, I don't dig it.

• Like! 1

I'm a video-gaming elitist. Maybe even a video-game snob. I figure that out solely on the premise of playing A LOT of video-games on A LOT of gaming systems. I just do not care of lack of quality. Sacred 3 was not my game of choice simply because it looked like another indie video-game that's popular among children nowadays which got it's UI style ripped from a mix of Ookami x Darksiders 2 (the paintbrush effect)

hp404.png - Health Points 404, art direction not found. I mean, surely, people don't really expect that someone believe that one paintbrush effect or a minimalistic design (black on white) is going to state " RICH FANTASY VIDEO-GAME ". Any gantasy video-game should have a vibrant and nice UI, probably followed by either a old celtic-type book or similar. A parchment looks amazing with some nicely detailed font style. Why this stopped I have no idea.

Furthermore, no depth, no character customization viability and basically a completely different team to that of Ascaron. All of that leads to a major disappointment even for a relatively open-minded person, let alone a Sacred fan, or let alone me who's extremely scrupulous to what constitutes a good video-game I may enjoy.

It's completely another video-game altogether in short. It shows that reboots and continuation type of video-games shouldn't be made just because they've some continuity proportions. 

That being said I was never a fan of the Sacred 2 storyline nor I liked that Seraphims are a SciFi race. I liked certain nods to it in Sacred, but never imagined that there will be an undead plague thanks to some SciFi elements. It kind of ruins the "magical" aspect of Sacred as well as demonology, although it does pave road to something more steampunkish even if it doesn't strictly follow the victorian steampunk generic setting that's present in many video-game nowadays. But Sacred 2 was never as repelling to me as Sacred 3 is. 

I like my Sacred game dark, gloomy and humorous at times with silly voice-acting, not cartooney, button-mashing, quick-time-event fest. Ugh...

It wasn't that hard of a concept to follow either. You hold left click, kill things, progress by percentage that goes even in decimals, and move your way up with certain magics until you feel OP enough. Take that away and lose the map exploration, what do you get? Nothing. And it's not like the genre is not super-popular, take torchlight for an example or path of exile, maybe van helsing or grim dawn. Man, those are all decent video-games. They are not Sacred, but are good regardless. Or Titan Quest. Not sure why Sacred 3 looks more like an iOS game. Ugh... That's the worst.

And there's this game that's eons ahead of Sacred 3 and it's called Nine Parchments which borrows some elements from Disney's Sword in Stone and certain Animated series from Japan (anime). The concept is similar, but at least it's far, far more enjoyable than Sacred 3. It's actually much akin to a mix of Magicka (mixology) for PC and Dungeons and Dragons : Heroes for Xbox (akin to Gauntlet) type of a gameplay. 

So save yourself time and money, if you want to actually experience a better video-game in the same vein of Sacred 3, play Nine Parchments. And it's not pretending that it's something else by its title. 

• Thanks! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The disappointment of the Sacred 3, good title, the truth was and I am still a Sacred fan, since the first time I met the world of Ancaria was by a friend whose cousin got the Sacred 1 in Spain, so I bought it and spend a lot of time of good adventures even with the expansion, then as I could years later I got the Sacred 2 gold and for things of destiny reach this magnificent page.
Then I barely knew about the departure of the sacred 3, waiting for another work of art. .
Unfortunately the people of Ascaron fell into a broken bank, this sacred 3 is anything but special, it does not have the magic of an open world, not to mention the lack of being able to explore at your leisure, there is no way to change weapons or armor, and Villains are a bad joke. Without mentioning that the combat skills were already decided from the beginning as the weapons of each character. They can not be created by the user.

Seriously it would have been better to create a remastering of sacred 1, better graphics with the effects and that the characters of the sacred 2 could be used, as in a plot of temporary trips a villain steals the Heart of Ancaria, something goes wrong and ends up trapped in the antiquity where it fragments and touches to recover half the world collecting pieces to regress, the magic is for these problems. :lol:

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, I was just watching the Sacred 3 Trailer when it came out... what a TEASE... they did just a good job on it... and I'd always found the trailers from Sacred series itself kinda lacking (though funny) ...that to think what was probably their best one ...was for Sacred 3?>! Curses!

:viking:

gogo

Sacred died with Ascaron!

Sacred 3 /= Sacred (as we love it)

For me I was a member of the Deep Silver Forum at that time and when I saw the first postings it was clear that it won't be a "Sacred" game.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, Dorimil said:

Sacred died with Ascaron!

Sacred 3 /= Sacred (as we love it)

For me I was a member of the Deep Silver Forum at that time and when I saw the first postings it was clear that it won't be a "Sacred" game.

I remember when the game was coming out, and some of the German players ( PowerPyx) was stating that the game would be "different" from the original premise... lol this was a full scale lobotomy! I dont think I can conceive of how much more different they could have possibly changed the game anymore than was done. And to take the name of the brand and just it's icon main class, Seraphim and paste it upon any generic side scroller...

Stlll feeling the bite today

:cry:

gogo

On 4/19/2018 at 7:42 PM, GilberthGuzmanSegura said:

The disappointment of the Sacred 3, good title, the truth was and I am still a Sacred fan, since the first time I met the world of Ancaria was by a friend whose cousin got the Sacred 1 in Spain, so I bought it and spend a lot of time of good adventures even with the expansion, then as I could years later I got the Sacred 2 gold and for things of destiny reach this magnificent page.
Then I barely knew about the departure of the sacred 3, waiting for another work of art. .
Unfortunately the people of Ascaron fell into a broken bank, this sacred 3 is anything but special, it does not have the magic of an open world, not to mention the lack of being able to explore at your leisure, there is no way to change weapons or armor, and Villains are a bad joke. Without mentioning that the combat skills were already decided from the beginning as the weapons of each character. They can not be created by the user.

Seriously it would have been better to create a remastering of sacred 1, better graphics with the effects and that the characters of the sacred 2 could be used, as in a plot of temporary trips a villain steals the Heart of Ancaria, something goes wrong and ends up trapped in the antiquity where it fragments and touches to recover half the world collecting pieces to regress, the magic is for these problems. :lol:

That's a a great way of stating it... " A work of art".. thats now how I realize this game came off to me...and just from that masterpiece Demo alone!

:pirate:

gogo