Moby Dick audio book

rm3000

I just found this audio book, more or less. It's read chapter by chapter by another person, there's artwork (mostly pictures) provided and you can of course donate to Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC), a international charity.

Most of the time, I prefer books over audio, but then I really like the idea here and the donation part doesn't hurt either. We all know about dark matters, but whales matter also. So please check out one of the greatest whales in history and have some fun!

• Like! 1
On 4/30/2018 at 11:40 AM, rm3000 said:

I just found this audio book, more or less. It's read chapter by chapter by another person, there's artwork (mostly pictures) provided and you can of course donate to Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC), a international charity.

Most of the time, I prefer books over audio, but then I really like the idea here and the donation part doesn't hurt either. We all know about dark matters, but whales matter also. So please check out one of the greatest whales in history and have some fun!

this sound like an amazing produc Flo! I've just lately started to have fun with audio media laying from my iphone speakers. Apple music streaming, and just lately pod casts!. Your title captured my interest as I had just recently watched In The Heart of the Sea which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I remember being breathless watching the scenes of old time whaling villages on screen, and even after researched on how important an impact whale oil was... people could now do activity and read a night, hence be more productive... a real world changer!

Yes, Whales Matters!

:hugs:

gogo

p.s. here's the trailer from that great movie; 

It's really fascinating what people can achieve and on the other hand, it's also fascinating how stubborn or blind they can go about it.

Also, movie time, yay! Didn't even know about 'in the heart of the sea' so I'm going to see what my favorite store has in store to offer.

• Like! 1
7 minutes ago, rm3000 said:

It's really fascinating what people can achieve and on the other hand, it's also fascinating how stubborn or blind they can go about it.

Also, movie time, yay! Didn't even know about 'in the heart of the sea' so I'm going to see what my favorite store has in store to offer.

I may even track down that audio cast of the book that you post about, if the movie is taking leads from the written story, then there must be great descriptive adventure await for me..

And... as a huge lover of all that is BattleStar Galactica... did you know that the name Star Buck from the sci fi series comes from Moby Dick? Name of the first mate on board the Pequod

:)

gogo

It was a long time ago that I actually read the book, but I really did like it. And since you can simply download 'Moby Dick Big Read', it's sitting right here waiting for the next grinding part in any game that offers it. The whole playlist takes 24h 13m total, so I'm set for the near future.

Never really got around to watching Battlestar Galactica, the only thing I know is Faceman played Star Buck and KITT was remodeled and played the enemy. But then, it just goes to show that the creators of Battlestar Galactica also enjoyed the book. I always love to find references like that.

15 minutes ago, rm3000 said:

It was a long time ago that I actually read the book, but I really did like it. And since you can simply download 'Moby Dick Big Read', it's sitting right here waiting for the next grinding part in any game that offers it. The whole playlist takes 24h 13m total, so I'm set for the near future.

Never really got around to watching Battlestar Galactica, the only thing I know is Faceman played Star Buck and KITT was remodeled and played the enemy. But then, it just goes to show that the creators of Battlestar Galactica also enjoyed the book. I always love to find references like that.

heh, cant believe how much you got me into this... I tracked down a passage about StarBuck...it's the kind of ponderous, reflective prose I eat up like chocolate :

Starbuck was no crusader after perils; in him courage was not a sentiment; but a thing simply useful to him, and always at hand upon all mortally practical occasions. Besides, he thought, perhaps, that in this business of whaling, courage was one of the great staple outfits of the ship, like her beef and her bread, and not to be foolishly wasted. Wherefore he had no fancy for lowering for whales after sun-down; nor for persisting in fighting a fish that too much persisted in fighting him. For, thought Starbuck, I am here in this critical ocean to kill whales for my living, and not to be killed by them for theirs; and that hundreds of men had been so killed Starbuck well knew. (26.3)

Woo hoo

:pirate:

gogo

• 1 year later...

I read the original Moby Dick. Well, it´s quite difficult to read and sometimes tirering and a bit boring, but the story turns into a roaring inferno during last 60 pages. Yes, it was worth the effort!

• 4 weeks later...

iVe got holidays coming up and looking for a good read.  In the heart of the sea with its richly detailed cities, industrial civiviliation and the beautiful environment .. im hoping the books not too long ( god we all know it is :lol: but we...shall see... 

and heck maybe i'd get some more cool pirate sayings to flesh out my saliors vocab!

:viking:

gogo

Arrr, watch this video before boarding the Pequod, you scrawny Landlubbers!

captain.png

Relax, the milk-shake machine didn´t work anymore @ minute 2.10, but the clever Captain found a
way to get the job done!

Speaking of stormy weather, does someone know the movie "Deep Rising"? It´s a low budged, b-movie
slasher, quite self ironic and definitely good enough to waste some time!

Here you go:

Edited by Dax