Sacred 2 Bloom Problem

Hi all, I did not know where to make this topic so I put it in this subject. Aniways, my problem in this game is bloom. It's hurting my eyes and I cant disable it cause I dont know how. So my question is, um is there any way to disable bloom somehow? Its way too bloomy and I wanna play this game since I was younger. I bought new PC now so I can play it. Thanks for answer in advance!

On 5/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, Vaeltharius said:

Thanks for response guys, but its really hurting my eyes especially on sand areas and on day time. Way too much bloom, too bad cause its great game :/

I'm sorry to hear that this is painful for your eyes :( Even DuneLords idea does not help enough? 

:)

gogo

I guess you already tried that, but the best way to reduce all the glowy shiny things in game is to set to minimum Render and Effects in graphics options, and unckecking Weather effects.

You might also want to check your monitor color/brightness settings as well, some monitors have horribly bright "eyekiller" presets.

• Like! 1

Yeah, a warmer colour tone might help as well. I use a very cold one (bluer whites as opposed to yellower whites) and when thunder flashes at night in the Swamp my screen just flashes in white. I get a bit blind for a second there. :D 

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, scavi said:

In Sacred 2 Gold, you can disable bloom by setting render details to medium (or lower) in the graphic settings.

Your first post here and its a helpful post to a member...  :heart: 

Hope the game fascinates you as it has us for years

Welcome to DarkMatters, scavi!

:hugs:

gogo

On 10/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, scavi said:

In Sacred 2 Gold, you can disable bloom by setting render details to medium (or lower) in the graphic settings.

Are you saying that "just" lowering the render quality from its maximum value removes that excessive amount of flare in the Bengaresh Desert for instance?! I haven't had the time to try it out myself but colour me surprised if the workaround is as simple as that!

• Thanks! 1

There is a difference in bloom for sure if you do that, but it's not like what you might expect.  I can't tell any difference looking at the sand / terrain.  It seems like small bright things glow much less though.  One immediate example are all the various eyes in the Blood Forest main menu screen.  They become quite dim.

Also if you drop render quality you pay a high price.  Edges become jagged, and the overall look is lower quality.

• Thanks! 1
23 minutes ago, Androdion said:

OK, so I've went ahead and tried it for myself.

Good tip on the eyes on main screen, that was immediately apparent. The transition from Very High to High already diminished the glow on surfaces, but once you drop it to Medium the difference is astounding. I have a few shinny set pieces equipped on my toon, and just by looking at them the differences are obvious. After blinking my eyes more than ten times I decided to take a stroll around several different areas and this is what I've found:

• Nighttime now feels more like it, with the bloom reduced you can feel both the dimming of the sun as well as its return. I was in the Bashade Plains when the sun rose and the effect was very awesome, one which I don't recall seeing before. Torches and lights during the night are also much more noticeable against a nocturnal background that doesn't "glow".
  • The sands in Bengaresh are still very bright when the sun is up, but there's a noticeable difference in the detail. I could discern the "spots" on the terrain and it feels more grainy to the eye. The best place to test the reflection on the sand is North of the first town when you arrive at the desert.
  • Lightning flares in the Swamp region are... not blinding me anymore?! Usually when that effect occurred I stopped seeing for a second or two, but now it's like a greyish fog that still lets you see what's happening. I'm mighty surprised here!
  • Energy creatures, namely Fen Fires which I encountered, have a totally different presentation since that shimmering white/blue effect they have is mostly absent. Same thing happens with my Wisdom of Dragons staff, its globe has a contour but lacks the coloured reflection on the sphere. They're still very visible but the lack of that effect changes them a lot. I'm thinking about the Elemental Lords and I can imagine that their surface textures will seem very different now. Same for Carnach and the likes of those.
  • The game is more responsive, though in all honesty this is probably based on my rig's ability to render the details and effects. I run with AA forced in the Nvidia CP to 8x and there's a world of difference in how the game engine responds to rendering so much less effects at the same time. Because of the custom settings I really can't see a decrease in visual quality. Maybe the grass is a bit more "harsh on the eyes", but other than that I can't complain.
  • Playing the game without this bloom also improves the contour of the UI, mobs' names and HP bars are more defined. I mean, most of the world is somewhat more defined. It's almost like when you're running a pic on Photoshop and you raise the contrast to 100 only to see all the edges blurred, and then you diminish it again and the contour seems defined again. I hope I'm making some sense here, but that's kind of how it seems to me on the eye. I've spent so many years playing and I have my eyes so accustomed to seeing those fat glowing contours that now seeing them all defined is very noticeable.
  • Black is blacker now, namely Panthers. Other mobs also have their colours seem more natural. Those big elite scorpions aren't huge glowing emeralds anymore.

I haven't spent more than an hour or so, but I did do it a few hours ago and again a few minutes ago. The room where I have my PC is usually a bit dark, even during the day, and I'm accustomed to all the bloom sticking out of the screen. But now it seems much more natural to me, though slightly faded here and there, but more natural in terms of colours and shapes. Colour me surprised indeed.

Thanks for the tip Scavi!

terrific, depthly write up (yah i made that word up :lol: )  ... ive got a thing for bloom. 

Ever since J.J. Abrams picked up the mike and got his hands on the new shoots of Star Trek... I've been nothing but fascinated by lighting  ( and especially blooms) in movies, games, pictures you name it... the one single factor I believe that can make or break a singular experience is just brilliant when it works right.  I like what you wrote about a single setting seeming to do so much...it fascinates me as much as I think you when you first read about this.  And this in-depth write you wrote has again illuminated our favorite gaming world in the universe with panache

... its nooks, crannies, sunny sun and swamps of flares... anyone who HASNT played this game will want to boot it up to fiddle with these settings, and of course, be sideswiped by the beauty of this world. 

:gogo:

gogo

Ha ha, talk about purple prose. :D

I think colour temperature on your screen can also be a factor to account for. The wife uses a cold white blue setting bordering on a light cyan on her laptop, while on my rig I use a warmer slightly yellower tone. All of this to say that your mileage may vary depending on how the colour matrix of your monitor works. But yeah, point being that there's a huge difference with the render setting turned to Medium in comparison to having it turned up to High/Very High.

Time for another field test then. :neo:

It would be nice if we had finer control over individual graphics options.  For example many games have a bloom on/off switch.  That way we could just disable bloom without losing overall render quality.

I'll try the glow effect in options.txt and see the result.

@dimitrius154Do you have any insight as to whether the Bloom in Sacred 2 might be disabled without lowering the overall Render Quality in the options menu?

33 minutes ago, Flix said:

It would be nice if we had finer control over individual graphics options.

Maybe I discovered some helpful information:

In the "options.txt" file, which is in my "~\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2" folder, there is a section called "render".

This section includes all render settings, including the key 

glow = 1

Unfortunately, setting this value to 0 has no effect; here is what I have tried:

• Add a line "render.glow = 0" to optionsCustom.txt
  • Edit the value directly in options.txt and set this file to read-only.

There is also a "video" section with some keys that could be relevant.

• Thanks! 1
54 minutes ago, Flix said:

Do you have any insight as to whether the Bloom in Sacred 2 might be disabled without lowering the overall Render Quality in the options menu?

From what I can tell, every surface glow level is dependent upon the shader used, and therefore, its script file. I've seen no function, that would control the bloom amunt in isolation from other effects.

• Thanks! 1
2 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

From what I can tell, every surface glow level is dependent upon the shader used, and therefore, its script file. I've seen no function, that would control the bloom amunt in isolation from other effects.

Is that why the Wisps get more transparent when dropping the render detail to Medium?

19 hours ago, scavi said:

Thank you for the nice welcome!

muhahahh,.... 

and now...u have fallen within our friendship trap and have  to put on a spooky Halloween Avatar and come to our halloween cocktail party!

Woo hoo!

welcome to our community madness!

:devil:

gogo

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue with the sand, streets, snow being too damn bright that it hurts my eyes.

The option.ini trick doesn't do anything, neither lowering the Render in game.

I tried SweetFX Preset for Sacred 2 and it kind of did something that I can live with. I have only activated the Bloom effects - I set it to 35.50 and my god does it work (sort of, they still shine a bit, but not that bright). If you're a tech savvy and know what other parameters to modify, I think you can make the game visuals even better.

The Bloom in this game is just stupidly bright. I don't know what the heck they were thinking. I would have preferred it to be like when you hit ESC button and the menu appears, all the bloom is cancelled. It would've looked so much better that way... :( 

Edited by Neemis