French tuto for higher resolutions (dgvoodoo2) and run Sacred Gold on Windows 10

14 hours ago, desm said:

Hello, I've just came across a tutorial made by a french forumer (Jerius) to let you run Sacred Gold on Windows 10 and in higher resolutions and I thought it might be of interest.

Here is the link to the video (it's in french of course but there are links in descriptions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjKTZwtLtE

To make the steam version works on Windows 10, you only need the seetings.cfg and steam_settings.cfg.

Now the part for higher resolutions and configuration of dgvoodoo2 https://youtu.be/BVjKTZwtLtE?t=318

I know it has already been talk before but it seems to work. The other part of the tuto is about AutoHotkey and you can see at the end of the video the game running.

Let me know if this has been helpful or if you already knew it. Thanks!

Its a very helpful and informative link Desm

thank you!

:)

gogo

• Thanks! 1

I think people are hallucinating the "higher resolutions". They will be very obvious, your character would be much smaller and the area you can see on-screen much larger. I have 20 years of tweaking experience with graphics and I have tried everything on Sacred Gold. The game was hard-coded for 1024x768 and it cannot be changed. I would love to be wrong, but I don't think I am. 

EDIT: Watched the video. Sure enough, he's running in 1024. Kinda funny, I've seen a few of these tutorials but they never think to compare "before and after". Probably because Dxvoodoo can force filtering and it looks a bit nicer, if you don't mind some minor texture blurring, and they just think it's a higher resolution

Edited by Hal900x
watched video

Well, at least it's in fullscreen, you don't have these large black "bands" (don't know the english word sorry) on the sides of the screen. I know it has already been discussed a lot but I found too the part on AutoHotkey interesting and how for Steam users how to run the game on Windows 10 that's why I posted it, but you're surely right. Happy gaming nevertheless.

• Thanks! 1

Yeah I hate to rain on the parade but this isn't quite what it says it is.  All it does is make the 3D models render at higher resolution.  The 2D static backgrounds and user interface look the same.

And the method he's using to get rid of the black bars (the pillarboxing) is just stretching it horizontally (distorting it), which you can do anyway without any special tricks - just turn off proportional scaling in your GFX control panel. It's not actually a true widescreen resolution.