Cthulhu Mythos references in Sacred 2

During the Orpheus quest in Thylisium where you rescue (or not) the loved ones from a bony necromancer you travel through a large dungeon filled with coffins and tombs, and one of the tombs has a curious inscription which seemed awfully familiar to me. It reads "'Nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" which is a direct quote from H. P. Lovecraft's literary work. So I'm curious to hear if anyone has ever found further references to the Cthulhu Mythos in the lands of Ancaria. Though references to popular culture are plentiful I don't recall seeing references to horror literature in the game.

So yeah, give some input from your experience, it should be fun. :)

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Androdion said:

During the Orpheus quest in Thylisium where you rescue (or not) the loved ones from a bony necromancer you travel through a large dungeon filled with coffins and tombs, and one of the tombs has a curious inscription which seemed awfully familiar to me. It reads "'Nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" which is a direct quote from H. P. Lovecraft's literary work. So I'm curious to hear if anyone has ever found further references to the Cthulhu Mythos in the lands of Ancaria. Though references to popular culture are plentiful I don't recall seeing references to horror literature in the game.

So yeah, give some input from your experience, it should be fun. :)

That's a great find! I'm also surprised as well that there seems to be no reference to cthhulhu so far in the wiki, and in fact anywhere in DarkMatters etc.. is this possible>?

I found the list of grave inscriptions in the Wiki... can this reference info be placed on this page here?

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Thylysium_Cemetery

:)

gogo

It's not there Gogo, it's in this dungeon, I'm most certain that it's one of the graves just before you enter the hallway where the green arrows are. Right next to that door. ;)

sacred2Orpheus2.jpg

Is this a new dungeon area thats not listed on that wiki page above ?

I''ll ask Schot to take a look at this as well

and...in the meantime...  go cthulhu!!

cthulhu_and_the_ninth_wave_by_fantasio-d

:)

gogo

and also... in the mean time... Telhari, this most AWESOME member of DarkMatters from when Sacred came out, years and years ago made this spiffy Cthulhu-style sun-avatar for my birthday... X0X0!!

Gogo.jpg

wooooo... wooooooooooo ..it's Cthulhu time!

:dance2:

GOGO

The pix are awesome, thanks Androdion... and guys...never *clicked* for me before about the Olms...thats and outstanding part of this Easter Egg! But... swamp thing looks SO much like an olm...

love craft, swamp thing, Olms... could all three be connected?

:bounce:

gogo

23 hours ago, desm said:

omg, could the Octagolamus be related to the Kutulu myth? :o

its funny because I was always wondering why exactly they chose  something so "mundane" as an octopus.... do you think someone loved lovecraft and did homage to him through this as well? Though upon careful looking at him... he kinds looks more like a octopus with sea shell?  Love craft had more longer face, closer to human

Octopus%20with%20Shell.JPG

:0

gogo

On 9.6.2018 at 1:18 PM, gogoblender said:

... could all three be connected?

there are so many references to so many kind of game/movie/comic/whatever culture...I guess/bet the developers did have all of this in mind