Blank item modifier

Most gear pieces etc have a "modifier:skillname" property on them. This is before or after the usual bonuses you might see. I've got some shoes that say modifier: ranged weapons, followed by chance to evade 5%, physical damage +6.5%, etc. The ranged weapons modifier has no number after it. Another pair of shoes might have Shield Lore, etc. So far it's always been just one of these blank modifiers on each piece. How does this work? Does it boost the numbered modifiers on the item by a multiple of the "modifier" skill?

3 hours ago, Flix said:

That indicates that you need to learn the skill listed in order to unlock the bonus.

Unlock what bonus? There is no number next to it. You mean to say I am not getting any of the 3 or 4 different stats on the item unless I have the modifier skill? 

All the bonuses you can see work as usual. If you have the modifier skill a new bonus is available.

There are exceptions - you can get multiple bonuses unlocked on uniques that require an unlock skill - best example is Bone slicer (undead legion quest reward) which requires sword weapons skill.  You get chance to disregard armour, chance to halve regen % and attack speed %.

There are some modifiers that only come with mastery (75 hard points). You can get all channel damage mitigation on a chest piece - let's say 12%, with Armour Lore mastery you can get an extra single channel damage mitigation (usually physical) or if very lucky all channel again - so 24% on one piece.

Edited by Augmint

How can I tell what gets unlocked? Because even if I do have the skill, it still only says something like "modifier: ranged weapons". There is still no number after it whether it is unlocked or not.

Are you talking about the words just under "Two-handed" in this picture for example? That's just letting you know what skill boosts the weapon. 

Sylvanwood_bow_stats.jpg

Flix - Hal900x is asking (I think) which of the multiple modifiers shown is unlocked by the skill. So in your example the unlocked modifier from ranged weapons I believe is chance opp. cannot evade. There's no indicator that specifically was unlocked if you have ranged weapons (or in case of uniques haven't looked at the wiki)

Edited by Augmint
15 hours ago, Augmint said:

Flix - Hal900x is asking (I think) which of the multiple modifiers shown is unlocked by the skill. So in your example the unlocked modifier from ranged weapons I believe is chance opp. cannot evade. There's no indicator that specifically was unlocked if you have ranged weapons (or in case of uniques haven't looked at the wiki)

True, but don't forget that line of text displays even when there's nothing unlockable.  It's letting you know what skill will boost the item.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 3:19 AM, Androdion said:

If that's the case then you just need to press ALT when hovering over the item and it'll show an asterisk next to the skill that unlocks the bonus, as well as right next to the particular bonus. It's the same key you press when you want to compare an item in your inventory against an item that's already equipped. ;)

Yep, that's what I was looking for. Still playing, just haven't posted in a while.