Sacred 2 Character Editor error when run.

I am using 64-bit Windows 10 on a home built 4 GHz Intel PC.

I just downloaded the Sacred2CharacterEditor.exe from Nexus Games by flixter because I thought this would be a useful addition to my tools. When I ran it, Norton System Works immediately gave the error:

"s2sdec.exe is not safe and has been removed"

Anyone else have this problem?

Are there any other editors that are perhaps more up-to-date that would not give this error?

That's an AV false positive, you should probably disable Norton when you run the Editor or make it an exception on the AV. I have run it several times and never had any worms anywhere. I downloaded it from Flix's signature link (I think).

It's not just Norton that gives a false positive, apparently because Antivirus software can't just identify viruses anymore (aaah the good old days). These days anything it isn't positive is clean gets flagged and deleted. I even had an old commercially produced piece of software on its original, commercially produced disc (from 1998) that was regularly deleted as a 'virus'. I contacted AVG and was told that antivirus programs can't always recognise whether certain older software is a virus or not so it plays safe and assumes it is a virus. Especially savegame editors, because they 'alter' the contents of files so are automatically suspect.

Yeah, basically anything that's an EXE with a scripting engine gets flagged. But then again there are so many viruses out there that it's probably best to play the annoying Big Brother anyway. :D

• Like! 1

Antivirus software is snake oil anyways. Like all filters, it has false positives - I have personally seen McAfee remove its own dll, so it couldn't start any longer - and it even opens up new attack surface. On top of that, it digs so deep into your OS that it can't be removed (after the so called free month). And while they're at it, they upload 'data' to the 'cloud'? No, thanks (old man yells at cloud.jpg).

If you're careful about what you click on and make regular backups (which includes testing), you're pretty much set. Which, by the way, goes for mostly anything. I don't have a driver's license, so I don't handle two tons of steel with however much horse power. I'm no pig, so I don't eat food from the floor. Some people just don't see computers as real things, hence they don't care enough and even coin that stupid expression 'IRL'.

Anyways, back to the question: you could try to ask Symantec why they flagged your exe (I.e. trust them). Or you could trust Androdion or Microsoft or Kaspersky. But, since no one is always right, you can't be sure. Hm, reading that back, I probably wasn't that helpful. Just try it and pick up the pieces if you get hit.

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, rm3000 said:

If you're careful about what you click on and make regular backups (which includes testing), you're pretty much set.

This... which has worked pretty well very well for me for years now

:)

gogo