Sacred 1 sucks

So I knew this game for many years and the first time I gave it a go around 2006/2007 I immediately uninstalles it, because I was turnes off by the fact that characters are 3D, but the rest is 2D.

I've always remembered the game and it bugged me that I didn't play it and when I msntioned it to a friend  he said he played it back in the day and it was great.

So I decided it's time to play and used the GOG version. First character I made was Battle Mage, because I wanted to break the cycle of playing melee classes all the time. I also chose the Silver difficulty after researching onlielne and people said that Bronze was too easy. I figured if the game was like Diablo, I won't have any trouble...

Boy, was I wrong... after I went to that city past the bridge, where I had to deliver a message, I was around level 14 and the goblins would gank up on me and destroy me before I could even swear.

Here is why the game sucks. If it played like Diablo, even on hardest I could kite the horde if goblins until I kill them. But in Sacred, the cooldowns of skills are so long that I have to wait about 5 seconds between being able to use a skill, and even though I invested points to reduce the cooldowns, it still didn't matter once the skill levels up. I liked using the basic Fireball, but compared to Diablo, ths spell  here takes too long to cast, the speed at which it teavels is pathetically slow and it doesn't even hit all enemies when they are bunched together in my face.

The way you switch between skills is counter-intuitive and only makes things harder and a bigger pain to play.

The UI is pretty bad, especially the placement of the character portrait and health bar. The way weapons are placed on the bottom and not where the other equipment is is pretty horrible as well.

Quests are mediocre and the overall story is non-existent.

The horse mechanic is garbage - animation of getting on and off a horse is too long, can't be interrupted and until it finishes you can't do anything. Also fighting on a horse is useless and thw horse dying is a joke that's not funny, I have to buy another stupid horse now?

So I'm not sure if I've encountered anything positive about the game and I believe it's a pretty big piece of garbage...

I honestly don't know how the devs can make such a failure - tries to  e hack'n'slash RPG with story and fails at being a hack'n'slahssh, fails at being an RPG and fails at having a story.

Did I mention how bad the voice acting is? Nah, I won't even go there.

I will test Sacred 2 next, see if they made some improvements there...

Edited by Weilan
1 hour ago, Weilan said:

So I knew this game for many years and the first time I gave it a go around 2006/2007 I immediately uninstalles it, because I was turnes off by the fact that characters are 3D, but the rest is 2D.

I've always remembered the game and it bugged me that I didn't play it and when I msntioned it to a friend  he said he played it back in the day and it was great.

So I decided it's time to play and used the GOG version. First character I made was Battle Mage, because I wanted to break the cycle of playing melee classes all the time. I also chose the Silver difficulty after researching onlielne and people said that Bronze was too easy. I figured if the game was like Diablo, I won't have any trouble...

Boy, was I wrong... after I went to that city past the bridge, where I had to deliver a message, I was around level 14 and the goblins would gank up on me and destroy me before I could even swear.

Here is why the game sucks. If it played like Diablo, even on hardest I could kite the horde if goblins until I kill them. But in Sacred, the cooldowns of skills are so long that I have to wait about 5 seconds between being able to use a skill, and even though I invested points to reduce the cooldowns, it still didn't matter once the skill levels up. I liked using the basic Fireball, but compared to Diablo, ths spell  here takes too long to cast, the speed at which it teavels is pathetically slow and it doesn't even hit all enemies when they are bunched together in my face.

The way you switch between skills is counter-intuitive and only makes things harder and a bigger pain to play.

The UI is pretty bad, especially the placement of the character portrait and health bar. The way weapons are placed on the bottom and not where the other equipment is is pretty horrible as well.

Quests are mediocre and the overall story is non-existent.

The horse mechanic is garbage - animation of getting on and off a horse is too long, can't be interrupted and until it finishes you can't do anything. Also fighting on a horse is useless and thw horse dying is a joke that's not funny, I have to buy another stupid horse now?

So I'm not sure if I've encountered anything positive about the game and I believe it's a pretty big piece of garbage...

I honestly don't know how the devs can make such a failure - tries to  e hack'n'slash RPG with story and fails at being a hack'n'slahssh, fails at being an RPG and fails at having a story.

Did I mention how bad the voice acting is? Nah, I won't even go there.

I will test Sacred 2 next, see if they made some improvements there...

Welcome ot DarkMatters! Love your post, has so much opportunity for everyone here on this community of more than 30 000 people (which btw Sacred 1 created :lol: to post and help with  :D) I see Podgie has started off with some great advice, I'm actually running off to work but will try and find some videos for you... Schot LOVED the fireball build and was able to balance the regen on the CA so that it fired like a ... u got it, machine gun^^ he had a build where a group of us would travel across he desert all firing fire balls to smash everything in front of us and we'd comb back and forth gathering up deaths and drops ...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee :superman:

I'll see what I can dig up...happy you found us, this game had so much... it really comes down to balancing regen and strength... once you get the hang of it, this gem of a game will shine

:gogo:

gogo

Battle Mage is the weakest character starting off so whoever said Bronze was too easy should have added a qualifier - I'd never recommend a 1st timer to play Silver. Takes time to get your builds going.

If you persist and play again do all the quests you can before the goblin lawn, get lots of potions - including yellows. Get your regen times low. Put points in meditation and fire magic. Play slow, take refuge at the inn halfway on the lawn.

And it gets tougher in the desert with archers, make sure you have fire resistance along with ranged defence. Use ghost meadow as well. EDIT - and socket vampire runes 2 or 3 that have lifeleech as secondary effect

Storyline is pretty solid if you play it all the way through.

Sacred 2 isn't as tough starting out but you need a better understanding of the mechanics and there is more micro-managing with buffs.

Edited by Augmint
  • Like! 1
3 hours ago, Weilan said:

I also chose the Silver difficulty after researching onlielne and people said that Bronze was too easy.

Gigantic mistake.  I can't imagine where you read this.  Everything I have ever read says to train your character in Bronze for at least 5 levels before moving to Silver.

the answer of podgie_bear is the best you can get. S1 and Sacred 2 are nearly the same for the game mechanics. the more runes you read, the better the spell, but the higher the regen time, which you can lower with another skill. in Sacred 2 it is easier to lower the regen time than in S1.

@Flix: I remember this hint with starting in silver for S1 and Sacred 2 in the hardcore parts. but this was meant for "advanced" players who knows the mechanics and don't want to "waste" time.

My thoughts on S1 are the same as my feelings about this community. I'll venture off for something else for maybe 4-6 months, maybe even a year, but I always return to both the series and the game. I always return. To the OP, sorry you had a bad time with S1, but this whole community's built around the series, ya ain't gunna feel much love with statements like "Sacred 1 sucks". Lol at podgie pulling out the "Hello Kitty" reference.

Edited by Gilberticus

I'm with all the feedback currently given... as well, I'd like to give a comparison tween the two games' speed... Sacred 2 is MUCH MUCH faster... almost arcade-like... 

I remember r00ster's answer to me when I first started chatting about this online...that the game had slowed down for "cheat checks and piracy:)"

:cry:

There was also "free energy" in Sacred... switching (I forget) Ca's or weapon in mid cast would allow you to get an extra portion of energy not used... highly exciting ^^

:superman:

gogo

gogo

Hello, I really think your comment is a little misguided, my first experience was with Sacred 1, I played it from beginning to end, and the truth for a beginner to start in silver is quite heavy, it is better to go step by step, invest in Armor, weapons and a good number of positions is the best, along with the runes. Personally Sacred 1 is, was and will be one of the best games.

Without mentioning that Sacred 2, is much more developed and something more complicated, but fantastic.

As a separate comment I think that if it is very bad is Sacred 3, the truth leaves much to be desired, in terms of history, weapons, armor and others, a real shame.

Long life to the community

• Appreciation 1