Heavy Burden quest annoyance.

idbeholdME

This quest flows normally, you get the reward correctly, everything is fine. But after finishing it, it isn't marked as complete in the quest log and there is a dummy quest circle in the middle of a sea.

Can be seen in the screenshots.

Map.png.7a5078eb429d0b9a5c3b03b454962e6f.pngQuest_log.thumb.png.f7dd2700f5465f5c2442631da76d3e93.png

Is there any way (like using console for example) to finish a bugged quest, remove the ciccle and mark it as complete?

NOTE:

I'm not using the community patch. Well... parts of it.

Edited by idbeholdME
33 minutes ago, Androdion said:

It's possible that there is some console code for that, but I'm not aware of it. Maybe someone else could pitch in.

What do you mean "parts of it"?

It is.... complicated.... Let's just say that I picked and used the parts of it that I liked. And I'm not using the quests part of the CP and I wasn't sure if this was fixed in the CP or not. That's why I left the note in case it was fixed there and someone wondered why I still have the bug.

This quest was altered in CM Patch, yes.  It's one of the longstanding changes.  In fact in general the quest fixes were the core of the original patch.  Quests in vanilla are screwed up, especially concerning the logbook and marker behavior.  Even were I purist, that would be one of the script files I would be sure to use.

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, Flix said:

This quest was altered in CM Patch, yes.  It's one of the longstanding changes.  In fact in general the quest fixes were the core of the original patch.  Quests in vanilla are screwed up, especially concerning the logbook and marker behavior.  Even were I purist, that would be one of the script files I would be sure to use.

Just tried and yes, the CM Patch fixes it. The log entry Heavy Burden is gone altogether. However, I don't think I can use it (quest and questscripts) because I'm sure it will cause bugs the way I have it set up. I don't use any new items/enemies and didn't use any new quests. The moment some new quest directs me to a new boss for example, the game would most likely crash because I don't have that boss in my game files. So I either have to fix it manually (which I have no chance of doing) or just live with it. Also, after using the quests from the CM Patch, there was an active quest Hunting Fever I in chapter XI for some reason? I have been nowhere close to that.

Here is the list of what I used:

• animation.txt
  • behaviour.txt (in hopes of fixing the non responsive white griffin)
  • all particle files
  • graphics10, 13 and 25
  • and then some small manual tweaks to various files (blueprint.txt (fixing Endijah's Wings), creatures.txt (tried to maunally do the human NPC scaling changes, had partial success), spells (weakened the sptiting spiders attack but not as much as in the CM Patch))

Also, the potion and rune stacking is in for some reason and I have no idea how I did that. No complaints though :yay:

Am I correct in thinking that I can safely use the creatures.txt (to have the scaled human NPCs) and it wouldn't cause any problems? As far as I understand, it is just creature definitions so it should't cause any issues if new creatures are defined but not spawned.

This also led me to a thought. A lite version of the patch with only bugfixes, fixed animations and general improvements and no new content (for purists as you said) would be a good option to have.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by idbeholdME
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

This also led me to a thought. A lite version of the patch with only bugfixes, fixed animations and general improvements and no new content (for purists as you said) would be a good option to have.

I've always wanted to do that, start over from the ground up and make a version that's only fixes - although I must say a lot of "new" content is developer stuff that is literally only absent in vanilla because of typos.  The CM Patch set a precedent really early on of including all kinds of creative endeavors that were purely fan inventions, so as the versions kept rolling out it became harder and harder to justify excluding content.

The problem with making a purist version is that a significant amount of (legitimate) changes are now in the game's exe and dll's (that's why you got the stacking changes btw) and I can't alter those files myself.  The only person who currently can has a much broader definition of what constitutes a "fix" than you or I - but you can always try to convince him.

EDIT: I'll add it to my project list.  Even if we have to just use CM 1.60 binaries it might be worthwhile.  I've heard enough talk from players over the years about this kind of thing to keep it always in the back of my mind.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Flix said:

I've always wanted to do that, start over from the ground up and make a version that's only fixes - although I must say a lot of "new" content is developer stuff that is literally only absent in vanilla because of typos.  The CM Patch set a precedent really early on of including all kinds of creative endeavors that were purely fan inventions, so as the versions kept rolling out it became harder and harder to justify excluding content.

The problem with making a purist version is that a significant amount of (legitimate) changes are now in the game's exe and dll's (that's why you got the stacking changes btw) and I can't alter those files myself.  The only person who currently can has a much broader definition of what constitutes a "fix" than you or I - but you can always try to convince him.

EDIT: I'll add it to my project list.  Even if we have to just use CM 1.60 binaries it might be worthwhile.  I've heard enough talk from players over the years about this kind of thing to keep it always in the back of my mind.

That's great. As I said, I can change some minor things myself. But when it comes to complicated stuff (like quests and their scripts), I'm lost. All I could do is look up "Ephrahim" in the quests.txt and there were 7 entries in total (which I suspect are quest steps) and that is where I ended. I probably could look into the CM Patch quests.txt, copy all these entries and replace the original ones by those and see what happens. But I don't think it will be that simple.

I don't think the changed dlls and exe are a problem I.e. they can be used. I noticed that they don't uninstall themselves after removing the CM Patch so I am using them but I don't mind anything they change or at least it's not noticeable (except maybe summoning mount in caves, I liked that little immersion thing of animals like horses being afraid to enter caves). The stacking change is a huge QoL improvement that I think noone would have problems with.

Really, all that would be needed is removing new items/quests and new enemies. I like the things like the new variants of old enemies (the zombie skins and such which have 0 impact on gameplay) but I have no idea how to separate that.

Also, the creatures.txt seems to work fine. Humans are scaled up (even those I missed when I was doing it myself) and the game is not crashing/bugging out, so great :lol:.

Edited by idbeholdME