Changing Re-spawn Rates

How would I go about changing the re-spawn rates? Specifically, I want to lower them to the point that an area will stay cleared for at least a couple of game days. Wading through the same horde of kobolds, rats, elementals etc on the same stretch of road every few minutes is really tiresome. It would make the game a little more realistic as well. I don't want to do away with re-spawns, just tone them down a little..

4 hours ago, CapnTucker said:

How would I go about changing the re-spawn rates? Specifically, I want to lower them to the point that an area will stay cleared for at least a couple of game days. Wading through the same horde of kobolds, rats, elementals etc on the same stretch of road every few minutes is really tiresome. It would make the game a little more realistic as well. I don't want to do away with re-spawns, just tone them down a little..

A man after my own heart.  I always dreamed about this for Sacred 1 as well, but got a surprising amount of resistance ("Sacred is about grinding, we want nonstop waves of enemies!")

Anyway, look in scripts/server/balance.txt  The line is:

respawnTimeStandard =

Crank that value on up to increase the time.

• Like! 1

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can come up with. Grinding is probably the one thing I don't  like about ARPGs. Wading through endless waves of enemies is not my idea of fun. A lower re-spawn rate is also an incentive to explore if you want more XP. The endless waves discourage you from going very far; it's easier to just walk back and forth along the same stretch of road..

EDIT: OK I found the line entry for respawnTimeStandard, and the vanilla value is 1800. What number range is valid here? Bump it up in increments of 100, 200 etc?

Edited by CapnTucker

I don't know just how the value corresponds to real world seconds.  I would assume doubling it would double the amount of time before respawn.  I'm using a value of 3000 in my mods. 

• Thanks! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't hurt to try it. I'm using 3600, and only seem to notice a difference when walking back and forth along the same stretch of road. Even then it is not really a lot. And when you enter/exit a cave for example. everything is back again. I think I will try 900 and see what happens..

I just ran some tests around Wargfels.  Cleared a patch of area (maybe 50-60 enemies), teleported away and then back again.

I used really extreme values to see how pronounced the difference would be.

respawnTimeStandard = 100 . About half of the enemies were already respawned after teleporting back. 

respawnTimeStandard = 10000 .  Only about 5 or 6 enemies had respawned, so maybe 10%.

So a higher number definitely delays respawn time. 

14 minutes ago, crpgnut said:

I wonder how high we can set it....99000?

Just tried 99000.  There was pretty much no enemies respawned when I teleported back.  There was one pack of goblins in the upper left corner of the area I had cleared, but they may have wandered over from a nearby sector.

• Like! 1