Antirats/antibugs mod?

lacr

Some time ago, I have noticed an Anti-Arachno-Mod for titan  quest and thought "Hmm, its the weirdest mod, created by a weirdo, no doubt".

Now, when I have returned to Sacred 2 from Titan Quest, I know what I really dislike the most in Sacred 2 : its hordes of rats, bugs, spiders and wisps. Not only this little vermin are hard to target, but spending much more time fighting with an elite rat than with a hydra, it looks ,well, very un-epic and gives me the feeling that its a pest control service game, not an arpg at all!

So, my question : is there any mod or easy way to replace all rats and bugs(maybe even wisps, small spiders and pesky rock-throwing elementals) with something more fitting for a hero - like, say : bandits, orcs, dragons(:drool:)?

I feel your pain. I hate the rats in Sacred 2 more than anything. I would give much for a mod that eliminates the godforsaken rats from the game. The elementals are pretty damned annoying as well..

I could make one.  Might not be til next week.  Just a simple matter of doing a find/replace in spawn.txt to replace creature ID's.

It could be kind of problematic for quests though.  Some have generic quest objectives like "kill 20 spiders" and if there aren't any, the quest could not be completed.  I would have to also hunt down and edit each quest to have the player look for a different enemy type.  That's honestly a bit too much work for the payoff. 

14 hours ago, Flix said:

I would have to also hunt down and edit each quest to have the player look for a different enemy type.  That's honestly a bit too much work for the payoff

I suppose its way too excessive, if its only a spawn.txt file, it can be simply restored to original state during quest completion, such quests are not very funny either:lol:

Well, I will look into this file, see how it easy to make such a change.

Here's another suggestion: after completion of The Undead Legion quest, it is pretty silly (and annoying) to still see hordes of undead legionnaires patrolling the countryside. After completion of the quest, there shouldn't be any undead left, with the exception of zombies and ghosts. I realize that would probably involve a lot of scripting, but how about a balance.txt file (if that is where the data is) that just removes them?

Upon completion of the Legion quest, the altered file could be substituted for the vanilla one. Then, when playing a character that hasn't done that quest yet, the original file could be reinstated..

Edited by CapnTucker

The majority of the Undead Legion are not quest creatures but just spawned generically through spawn.txt.  I don't think you could swap out game scripts mid-game session like that.

Way too complicated and game have many other "sillies"(like so much hated by you, guys, - neon grass:wow:). Rats and bugs are untolerable for grinding - I have always tried to relocate my character from places with vermin, while skeletons are fun like kobolds.

I ve checked spawn.txt and found no rats....

It's probably hard-coded, but it was worth asking about.  It would really be cool to see all of the general's troops disappear when he does, just like the story line says is supposed to happen.  Same thing happens when Shelob is finally killed. In the story line the locals thank you profusely for eliminating the threat, but there is absolutely no change in the amount of spiders roaming around.

To have these things match what is being talked about in the story text would have been awesome, like your character is actually making a difference in the game world. That this never happens is IMO just lazy programming on the devs' part. Yeah I know, it's a decade old game from a long-vanished company. But it still would have been nice to see..

• 4 months later...

Totally agree ... the essence of sacred ... save the world from the plague of rats? ... does not coincide, even personally, I do not like the final boss, but that would be another issue. Maybe changing the value that corresponds to insects and replace it with more undead, humans, etc ...? Saying it is easy, but someone who can read those codes well enough to know that something as simple as it sounds does not end up breaking the game.

Ok this mod is progressing.  So far I've replaced all rats in the game, except those spawned as quest targets.

Next up will be the insects.  I'm going to leave the wisps and stone creatures alone.

• Like! 1

Greetings, I thought there were not many people, heavens.

Thanks for answering.

Reading the .txt files, I found that in the file spawn.txt you can change the density of the creatures on the map:

mgr.addSpawn (16,28,-2,{ -- Small Dungeon Rats HE
    total_density = 15,
    layermap_id = 2,
    {1501,6,"",0,0,0,0},
    {1501,5,"",0,0,1,0},
    {1502,1,"",0,0,1,0},
    {1532,4,"",0,0,0,0},
    {1533,1,"",0,0,2,0},
    {1532,4,"",0,0,2,0},

I'm still trying to see if it really has any effect, since I've been trying to raise the speed of the mount and it seems there are files that have a security level (top), for example, so use a high value (1000) only apply up to 200 in game and even, at least with the horse, has not had any effect. 

For the moment with the spawn file, you can only reduce the density level, which in some way, will leave some areas of the map empty.

Thank you for your time, you should spend a lot of time doing this, I wish I could donate for every mod is done her, thanks.