The Top Eleven Reasons Why Sacred 2 Remains Popular And Important

• The title was changed to The Top Eleven Reasons Why Sacred 2 Remains Popular And Important

Well, compared to Diablo 3, it realy is one thing that sets it appart the most: Building an Actual Character.

Diablo 3 Doesnt let you build a character, you can make almost no Mistake, need no Thinking about what skill you use because the Set items decide wich skills you will use.... It is soo simplified and catered into instant Gratification that it is getting Boring realy fast.

What still keeps also Diablo 2 Going is that you can just create Endless characters with unique Specilasations. Also, Grim Dawn and Titan Quest do the same thing, and Grim Dawn is releasing its 2nd Expansion soon, Diablo 3 only got 1 so far... and the Necromancer. But Guess what? in Grim Dawn you get an entire Expansion with Necromancer class for the same price... and the Necro is much better.

The Graphics are Impressively good even today, the game looks timeless Beautiful in my eyes, the textures and ground objects are sooo good and well placed that the world realy seems alive in its own way.

It realy is the Creativity and the thinking ahead that makes the game4s good, you need to use your brain while in Diablo 3 you get the feeling you are getting a Braindead Monkey- The Point of the Game is not to kill the bosses at all, but to just kill everything as fast as you can.... Sooo dumbed down.... That are realy some reasons why D3 Sucks in Comparison to the other titles I mentioned... and of course Sacred 2..

• Like! 1
On 9/29/2018 at 0:22 PM, Hooyaah said:

With the newer games and the negative aspects of DRM they have introduced, when combined with the fact that so few new games have such a grand replay value, Sacred 2 is the game that just keeps on giving; for these two reasons among many others, I believe it is easy to understand why there are so many gamers still attracted to it. Not to diminish other games Sacred in name, I will attempt to comprise here a comprehensive list of rationalizations as to what so many find attractive in this "golden," yet ever relevant game, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel:

1) The graphics are quite detailed, even when measured against truly 4K games it is still very competitive and complex with detailed textures, especially when "Trimmed Elite Textures" are employed.

2) The game is veritably a wondrous open map where one may progress throughout the map and revisit areas endlessly for additional exploration and to battle foes again.

3) Aside from the main quest, the side and chain quests may be played at ones leisure and in any order. One may complete the main quest and then return to play any or all of the other yet uncompleted quests.

4) There are so many special unique and legendary weapons, armor, and items. The high quality "yellow" items are virtually endless and may be discovered at any number of levels with an assortment of slots for forging. Some games are preset as to what one may use to upgrade a specific weapon or piece of armor, but with Sacred 2 the user can make their own choices in this regard. Freedom rules!

5) There are so many play styles and ways to build ones character and a sufficient number of characters from which to select. One may choose the Light or Dark path, and afterward experiment with the different skills and modifications, making each character different each time one begins anew.

6) There is so much detailed information on the Wiki with links to downloadable weapons, armor and items. Unlike some games where one may never find all of the armor, jewelry or weapons, here one may treat themselves to practically anything they wish, aside from the "yellow" items as their combinations seem nearly infinite.

7) Here at Dark Matters there is such a vast array of helpful topics, build guides, troubleshooting tips, download links, interesting topics, videos, screenshots, indy art, word and forum games, downloads, and so much more! The site here is family friendly and a handy haven for players of the game and a repository of information for any, especially the aspiring player of Sacred 2.

8) Also here at this site we have a marvelous resource, its members. There are so many helpful and genuinely friendly members willing to help anyone whether they are a "noob" or veteran player. When a new or long time member asks a question, someone knowledgeable always steps in and assists.

9) Mods, and so many of them, are here in their splendor and wondrous glory, ready to download and use. The Diablo II Mod, truly does wonders to the game and as do the other modifications, further expands its enjoyment.

10) The Community Patch has been recently updated and has fixed a virtually endless array of bugs and made fixes to some serious issues to include game crashing. In my opinion the game is now closer to the way it was originally envisioned by its developers at Ascaron. The textures are being employed so well and the monsters, bosses, and quests now fill the world of Ancaria, now an immense, immersive, and immeasurable expanse of wonder, ready to explore in a way that does not confining the player with overly-scripted directed paths.

11) Finally, If one requires but one more reason why Sacred 2 is such a wonderful game: Forsooth (what was first foreshadowed in my initial statement) Sacred 2 Fallen Angel has tremendous replay value. When the End Bosses are defeated the credits may roll, yet the game is not truly over. The player may simply return and finish any uncompleted side quests and visit any part of Ancaria yet again, the friendly denizens of towns and hamlets wave and greet them. One may store their character's save file and chests at any point and load them yet again in order to play from that point forward. That is another precious thing unto itself, indeed.

I doubtlessly must have excluded some other noteworthy reasons, as there are so many great rationalizations which prove the worth of this outstanding game. I have no doubt that there will be players of the game far into the future, both newcomers and old-timers.

Note: This article is a reprint of my original reply to the post here.

I love how you've put this together Hooyaah! You've just about penned exactly what makes the game relevant today.  I'd say as well that the pricing and support for this game is awesome.  SacredWiki is one of the largest game wiki's in the world (weird and so cool! :bounce: ) . When someone spends money on the game, ten years later, it's not a lot.. and when they look for resources the Wiki adds so much fun and replayability. It makes convenience very strong. 

But probably the  singular driver of all the last few years activity has been the modding.  I'll always remember a charming members post many many years ago here... "Modding is the future of Sacred 2" ...and it did become that!

The Community Patch and the work done by all the modders like Flix (hail his unbelievably huge and deep diablo patch!! :drool:), Dimitius (zomgod addendum :drool: ) and countless others has just added to a huge amount of hours to the game while showing others that it's possible for imagination to remain unfettered.   

There are no limits

And... on top of this all.. we've still somehow got a happy community that's made it past the ten year mark.

It gives the game a  terrific pedigree of guides, conversations, builds and...  yes we were one of the first ones on the net doing this ten years ago...

a Food Forum!

:gogo:

gogo

• Like! 1
On 9/29/2018 at 2:29 PM, stiefelolm said:

Well, compared to Diablo 3, it realy is one thing that sets it appart the most: Building an Actual Character.

Diablo 3 Doesnt let you build a character, you can make almost no Mistake, need no Thinking about what skill you use because the Set items decide wich skills you will use.... It is soo simplified and catered into instant Gratification that it is getting Boring realy fast.

What still keeps also Diablo 2 Going is that you can just create Endless characters with unique Specilasations. Also, Grim Dawn and Titan Quest do the same thing, and Grim Dawn is releasing its 2nd Expansion soon, Diablo 3 only got 1 so far... and the Necromancer. But Guess what? in Grim Dawn you get an entire Expansion with Necromancer class for the same price... and the Necro is much better.

The Graphics are Impressively good even today, the game looks timeless Beautiful in my eyes, the textures and ground objects are sooo good and well placed that the world realy seems alive in its own way.

It realy is the Creativity and the thinking ahead that makes the game4s good, you need to use your brain while in Diablo 3 you get the feeling you are getting a Braindead Monkey- The Point of the Game is not to kill the bosses at all, but to just kill everything as fast as you can.... Sooo dumbed down.... That are realy some reasons why D3 Sucks in Comparison to the other titles I mentioned... and of course Sacred 2..

I never had a chance to play diablo one or two...but Three got addicted to the HC Mode  (who doesnt like a good gamble :lol: ) but ulimatelyl came to give that up because that all or nothing mentality was going to be my end :4rofl: I'd probably still play... a bit, but if I could find kind folk to play with

:D

gogo

4 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I first heard of Sacred 2 through Game Informer in 2009: 

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sacred-2-fallen-angel-review/1900-6209808/

I don't remember it being phrased quite like this in the magazine. But my eyes caught phrases like "Diablo double", "stereotypical chores", "typical for the genre", "doesn't reinvent the wheel", and I remember thinking "well, heck with this , then!". I had just started dating again, I wasn't going to waste my money on a "been there, done that" type of game. But, then, I remember glancing over a picture of some cyborg man-dog type of thing and thinking "waaaaaiiit a second, I've never played one of those before!" The score for the game was 7 out of 10, and I remember thinking "well, a 7 doesn't sound like a run of the mill type of game." I don't know though, I didn't have internet at that stage, had never even heard of Youtube, didn't know what Steam was, so Game Informer was kind of the gospel of gaming for me. So, I put the thought of buying Sacred 2 on the back-burner. But after a couple of very unsat dates, I decided to buy the game. They tried to dissuade me even at Gamestop. I remember saying "but what about the cyborg dog thing?" and they said "The Temple Guardian? It's just a repackaged Rogue type of character, there are much better RPGs out there." I also remember being told "you ever seen a crystal? At first glance, it looks pretty, but when you really stop to glance at it, you see flaws, clouds, bits of dirt; the game's not worth it". Of course, I wasn't a gemologist at this point, so bits of dirt in a crystal sounded bad. But I wanted to play the Temple Guardian so much that I got the game anyway. Sooooo, needless to say, after playing Sacred 2, I stopped reading Game Informer, or listening to opinions on games.  

I now feel much the same way about game reviews. My opinion follows and it is based on observations, but has led me to some interesting conclusions. Game Sites, those vendors of games and their allies squelch many of the honest reviews of gamers who have valid concerns or disappointments. They allow a few seemingly randomly submitted negative reviews that might serve its readers yet allow them to dismiss them as nit-picky or trivial in nature. This in turn is intended to drive up sales of new games and thereby profit game developers and game vendors. There is little concern for the end user who just wants to be rewarded with a game that delivers a host of delights so that the troubles and cares of the world may be escaped for a time. The end result is that two parties end up being cheated because gamers don't find what they are really searching for, but instead, what that for which they must settle and the developers do not gain the immense profits they want because the games they squeeze out like so much ground meat are understandably poorly received. Perhaps they who vend the games are happiest, as they profit well enough, as gamers may be endlessly compelled to buy yet another sub-par game in search for true gaming nirvana.

It is wise not to complain about a problem without having and voicing a viable solution. So here's my answer, or at least what I care to articulate at this point in time. After all, it is prudent not to reveal all of ones cards as it were. What is necessary is for a single-minded entity to develop as close as practicable, the perfect game. The cost would be immense in its development, needless to say. The graphics would have to be incredible, the replay value limitless, the story and character(s) development rewarding, realistic, compelling, and the end result must not, of necessity, have a bitter or negatively charged ending. For my latter point, a new class of writers would need to be employed to make a world that would rise to the ideals to which a human creature may aspire to or down to the depths one might will to sink; it is most important that such a choice in paths need be made, not at the whim of they who fabricated this immense and engaging new world, but they who abide within its virtual confines. Regardless of genre, after the merits of this sensational game were realized, its immense success would immediately throw the gaming industry into a tizzy as many other companies would doubtlessly realize that a similar such endeavor, one of their own construct, would be immensely more profitable than their previous offerings borne of twists on tired and contrived ideas.

I got the demo of S1 on a CD in a gaming magazine (Gamestar). I don't know how often I play the seraphim to this cave, where the demo ends. love at first sight!

bought the game at ebay (shame on me, no support for Ascaron at this point), the game only runs with a no-cd-crack on my system. but who cares in that times! ;)

found a community I will probably never find again and thought it wouldn't getting better. well...what a mistake! starting hardcore and it got better.

then Sacred 2 was announced. man, I was excited. and the seraphim was still on duty! and...I was able to participate the beta test. "wet dreams" come true! :D

Pre-oder the limited edition and never regret it. (ok, elite textures killed my dual graphic cards...again...who cares!)

Remembering all the evenings where I just want to play an hour and never played a minute, but was bounded for hours in the lobby chat.

*pling* "xy is entering your server" - "greetings, is the desert free?"  :D

celebrating a level-200-char!

S1 brought me to Sacred, but the time with Sacred 2 on the HC-Server I will never forget!

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Points I'd add after finishing a completionist Silver playthrough yesterday (without DLCs).

1) The attention to detail. The world is extremely detailed, there are tremendous amounts of nice looking animations (with the CM fixes), so many voice lines dependent on where you are, who you kill, so many footstep sounds depending on the surface and if it's raining or not, random NPC conversations and so much more. This all combines into a world that I like to return to.

2) The static map. Instead of some RNG map built from pre made blocks, the handcrafted and HUGE world of Ancaria has character with clear landmarks unlike many games in this genre.

3) Survival bonus and map explored mechanic. A great way of rewarding not dying your way through the game and it perfectly fits my play style in these kinds of games. Playing normal but as if I was on hardcore.  And getting CtFV for thorough exploration? Sign me up!

4) The graphics and world design hold up to this day. I still just stop at some of the places and look around. And the elite textures are extremely good looking. Too bad there is no way to increase the view distance so you could enjoy the nice views more.

I'm with you one hundred percent on the details.  Hooyah's run some terrific threads where he has "visited' the restaurants of Ancaria...I'll have to find it when I get back from work...what he's able to grasp and put into story form just from the visuals is delightful!!

:dance:

gogo

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2018 at 7:40 AM, Hooyaah said:

Perhaps, this is what you were thinking of, Gogo: Funny/Interesting Screen Shots Page 32

There are other such restaurant and tavern/inn reviews contained within many of the preceding pages of this thread as well, if one cares to investigate further and discover these posts.

I loved your reasons..but mostly the online lobby chat... LOL...I think that was the beginning of my online social media journey!

:lol:

gogo

• 2 years later...

I just started playing again after a couple of years hiatus and trawling my way through Diablo 3 seasons two hours into sacred and I managed to lose myself in the game again there is nothing quite like it or the first game they will remain in that special corny as it is heart game place that Baldurs gate and the like have in my mind