"I want one of them sparkly quartz clumps like in Sacred 2"

This was a request today, verbatim, from a customer. Sacred 2 was specifically referenced because that's what customers see me playing these days. I understand that not all of us are geologists or gemologists, but this is one I had to bite my tongue about for a second. After I took a breath, I told them that most of the minerals in my store have that "shimmery, sparkly, glassy" luster, pick a "clump" and waft it in the air a little bit. I was told "no, it looks like the baby of quartz and metal". Until recently, I've only played on a laptop, but I don't remember any metallic effect on crystals and ice. But, if any of you want "one of them there quarts that looks like the baby of quartz and metal", I can give you a suggestion, but I can't give a professional recommendation. On any metaphysical site or in any new age store, look for the words "spirit" and/or "aura". Those are quartz that were sprayed with metal/gold dust inside of a pressurized chamber. I can't recommend them because I don't know what effect time has on them. Dyed minerals fade, and baked minerals look awful after a year or two, baked citrine for example. 

Anyway, this isn't a gemology lecture, I just wanted y'all to know that if metallic looking quartz does exist in Sacred 2 and ya wanted some, look for spirit and aura quartz, but remember that I told you that they're not natural. 

No "fools gold" in the game, regrettably, and I know of no mineral that looks like a metalized version of the formations of the Crystal Plane. Pyrite does look much like what they were describing, nonetheless.

Oh, sorry, brain's a little slow today. No, spirit quartz is what they were after. But I don't remember anything looking like spirit quartz in the game. They said it was in the Seraphim's region. I remember the area that they were talking about, but I still don't remember anything like spirit quartz there. But the customer was happy, so a happy customer equals a happy Gilberticus

• Like! 1

Indeed, just as one doesn't want to risk putting ones prized quartz crystal formations in the oven for fear of them undergoing a cristobalite inversion during the cooling process.

Ya know, someone was asking me something about cristobalite just the other day. I'll be real, it's been a long time since I learned certain conversion tables, temperature tables, I even had to learn about how moisture expansion can cause crazing; things I never would have thought would have been part of my training. So, a lot of stuff that I don't use have been lost in the haze of time. Anyway, they were asking really weird stuff. So, here's a rule of thumb: when things have a skull and freaking crossbones on them, it's probably not the best idea to take a long, unclothed roll in it, just to make sure that the Special Health Hazard Substance list really knows what it's talking about. It's very rational to ask about the potential risk of silicosis from anything I sell; a lot of people in my profession aren't licensed or even schooled. But when people start asking things like "If I grind up this sumbit, what do you think a rational exposure limit would be?", that's when I start to get nervous. 

Especially when you consider that the "sumbits" that I sell aren't the grade that one would generally grind. Which , on a side note, is a term  that my customers love to use; "how much is that big sumbit on display there?" I'm going to have to gently dissuade that;  I don't want Connor going to school and telling his class that his dad sells all types of sumbits.