RimWorld 1.0

There are a ton of awesome mods for this game. I personally love Prepare Carefully. Unfair? I don't think so, as that mod can be used in a variety of ways. It can be used to do things as simple as change a hairstyle or body type, which some might not care about, but I use it when I'm trying to recreate characters from other games. I like it because I like to take out the misogynist trait out of my characters. It's also very convenient when testing new mods, like the Star Wars mod. It's very hard to roll a character who has the 'force sensitive trait", which was fine by me, except that so many people complained about that mod. So, I wanted to start out with a few characters with force sensitive. Then, I saw people complaining about the light sabers, so I used Prepare Carefully to add that equipment. But as far as a cheat, one could use Prepare Carefully in that manner, but the game will strike back, at least mine did. I wanted to see if there was a difference between types of light sabers and crystal colors, so I  added one of everything to the game. Of course, it takes Jedi or Sith to assemble them, so I used Prepare Carefully to add a whole team of Jedi to the game. I didn't touch their stats or even add extra food or building materials, just settlers and weapons. And the game responded by sending a whole army to wipe me out before I had even assembled the sabers. But the game does allow for a little wiggle room. If I stick with the standard number of people, it does not punish me for making one super soldier, one super settler, and one super scientist. That play-through was kind of fun, it gave me a tiny bit of breathing room to test a theory. 

Well, y'all, I'll be talkin at ya in a few months. I'm off to Michigan to investigate supposed citrine-included Petowski stones. That claim makes no sense to me, but my brother lives in that area, so it gives me an excuse to drop in on my baby brother. Talk to you guys later :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, Gilberticus said:

There are a ton of awesome mods for this game. I personally love Prepare Carefully. Unfair? I don't think so, as that mod can be used in a variety of ways. It can be used to do things as simple as change a hairstyle or body type, which some might not care about, but I use it when I'm trying to recreate characters from other games. I like it because I like to take out the misogynist trait out of my characters. It's also very convenient when testing new mods, like the Star Wars mod. It's very hard to roll a character who has the 'force sensitive trait", which was fine by me, except that so many people complained about that mod. So, I wanted to start out with a few characters with force sensitive. Then, I saw people complaining about the light sabers, so I used Prepare Carefully to add that equipment. But as far as a cheat, one could use Prepare Carefully in that manner, but the game will strike back, at least mine did. I wanted to see if there was a difference between types of light sabers and crystal colors, so I  added one of everything to the game. Of course, it takes Jedi or Sith to assemble them, so I used Prepare Carefully to add a whole team of Jedi to the game. I didn't touch their stats or even add extra food or building materials, just settlers and weapons. And the game responded by sending a whole army to wipe me out before I had even assembled the sabers. But the game does allow for a little wiggle room. If I stick with the standard number of people, it does not punish me for making one super soldier, one super settler, and one super scientist. That play-through was kind of fun, it gave me a tiny bit of breathing room to test a theory. 

Well, y'all, I'll be talkin at ya in a few months. I'm off to Michigan to investigate supposed citrine-included Petowski stones. That claim makes no sense to me, but my brother lives in that area, so it gives me an excuse to drop in on my baby brother. Talk to you guys later :)

I was just reminded of how strong this Star Wars universe is after seeing that Han Solo had made it to Netflix this last week.  I also remember how I almost fell asleep after one third of the movie slowly dribbled along, and I was mostly thinking of getting a super hamburger from Wendy's because I had become so tired of the age-old music style, direction and whole feel of the Star Wars franchise, at least anything not involved with Rogue One  :D 
But then reading through your post and sinking into the details, I can see why there's still this huge wave of interest in the cannon of this game and especially the war between Sith and Jedi.  Just reading about all the ways you can work with this into Rim World makes me realize that perhaps anything/everything is unlimited... and that Star Wars may be here for a loooooooooooooong time

:lol:

gogo

p.s. Have a safe trip Gilberticus! I just got back from visiting family down in the States for Christmas, and there's not much out there that beats that.  Travelling is content, can imagine you must still be hitting the gaming even when traveling :dance:

I saw that movie. NONE of them have the same feeling that the original three did. I wonder why; is it because I saw episodes 4 through 6 as a child? Do they just not have the same magic and passion as the older ones? No, I was sitting here, looking at a bottle of Re-Nu (there's something I find soothing about the color and shape of the bottle, I know I'm a weird dude at times, lol) and it struck me that I know exactly what I like about the original three. When I get down to brass tacks, I don't really care about lightsabers or how cool Darth Vader's and Boba Fett's armor looks, what hits home is one concept; no matter how dark a man's soul gets, no matter how far he falls down the rabbit hole, the love he has for his son can guide him back into the light. In that final climactic scene with Darth Sidious, Empires vs Rebellions and Jedi vs Sith and all that other crap vanished; all that mattered to Darth Vader was that his son was in trouble, and he wasn't going to let his pride, hate, and vanity immobilize him while some d bag shocked the very life out of his son.

That hits home a little bit. When I came home from the military, there were dark clouds that never fully lifted, and wounds that never fully healed. But when my son was born, and those big blue eyes looked up at me, all that crap disappeared. In my hands was a new life, that depended on me. He didn't care that I came home and made a few poor choices that disgust me (like being an adult entertainer for a while). He depends on me; not just for base needs, but to learn how to interact with the world and people and how to deal with stuff when it comes up. Fatherhood kind of pulled my head out of my backside with a quickness. And, I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but here's a chance as a dad to react differently than my own father did. My father's a good man, and a good father. But when I came home, I really needed him. I didn't need him to fix things, I just needed him to be there. But because he didn't know how to fix things, he distanced himself because of pride, etc. He let me down when I needed him the most; not because he failed, but because he didn't try. When my son was born, none of that mattered any more, either. But here's a chance for me to learn from my father's mistakes. I will make my own mistakes, of that I have no doubt. But I damn well am not going to let pride distance me from him just because I don't know how to help. Anyway, that's why I like the original three, because Darth Vader manned the hell up and was there for his son when he needed him the most. 

RimWorld; I still love it. But I've put virtually all games on the back burner for now. The reason; it's never my story, it's me making choices in a pre-defined world.  Like Skyrim, for example. I can choose to be a warrior or a mage or a rogue or a little bit of everything, and that's awesome. But I'll always have to be a Dragonborn, unless I use specific mods. What if I didn't want to be a hero at all? What if I just wanted to be a blacksmith or a miner or a farmer? There are mods that let you do those things, but the main game will always be there, Skyrim isn't designed for you to be just a blacksmith trying to make it in the world. What I was looking for was a blank world. There's grass and veggies and water and all that junk. And maybe there's bears and a few other hostiles running around, but you'll never see a main enemy spring up. And that's what I found in Rising World.  As far as MMOs, (Timo asked in another thread) I've owned Life Is Feudal since 2014. I have that game, the MMO version, Black Death, and Wurm Unlimited. I don't plan on starting/restarting anything at the moment, but I will be doing Wurm Unlimited next month with a friend. 

Edited by Gilberticus
17 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I saw that movie. NONE of them have the same feeling that the original three did. I wonder why; is it because I saw episodes 4 through 6 as a child? Do they just not have the same magic and passion as the older ones? No, I was sitting here, looking at a bottle of Re-Nu (there's something I find soothing about the color and shape of the bottle, I know I'm a weird dude at times, lol) and it struck me that I know exactly what I like about the original three. When I get down to brass tacks, I don't really care about lightsabers or how cool Darth Vader's and Boba Fett's armor looks, what hits home is one concept; no matter how dark a man's soul gets, no matter how far he falls down the rabbit hole, the love he has for his son can guide him back into the light. In that final climactic scene with Darth Sidious, Empires vs Rebellions and Jedi vs Sith and all that other crap vanished; all that mattered to Darth Vader was that his son was in trouble, and he wasn't going to let his pride, hate, and vanity immobilize him while some d bag shocked the very life out of his son.

Ive often wondered what set this movie apart from the other ones as well.  I believe it appealed to our sci fi sensibilities.  It was able to put great human sentiment such as love for family, david vs goliath, hope all against a new background of special effects the world had never seen before.  I like to go back in time with my head and imagine how I felt during that first time I saw the Star Wars cantina scene online... (lol I actually remember squealing :4rofl: ) there was this great puppetry that appealed to me as a kid plus that great editing... all these little things add up...and for those first few movies... it was enough... 

But as they wanted to keep their product very cannonized and control their toy sales... it's like they never wanted to evolve, and thats where, at least, me as a consumer has come to...that Star Trek ( absolute favorite franchise) keeps bringing in new sound effects, scores, editing, (all hail the new Kelvin time line!) and everytime I see a new movie I can become breathless.. star wars seems stuck in appealing to childrens' appreciation levels, and that doesnt seem to cut it for me anymore

:blink:

gogo

I never thought of Star Wars vs Star Trek, for the simple fact that I don't work that way. Steak vs fish? Why not a little of both? Apple pie vs pumpkin or any other pie? Naw, one of each for this ole boy. Coke vs. Pepsi? I find soda to be like wine; different sodas pair better with different food for me. So, as far as Star Trek vs Star Wars, tbh, neither at the moment. I've had my own passion project for the last 1k hours in a game. The short and skinny on Rising world is it's a reskinned and better-looking version of Minecraft. A game like this doesn't appeal to everyone, and didn't appeal to me, until I got tired of playing in roles that were pre-built for me. Skyrim, for example. You can be a warrior or mage or thief or a little of everything, but I'll never escape being the Dragonborn. What if I didn't want to be a Dragonborn? What if I want to simply be a husband, taking care of his family, with a gem stall/store somewhere? That's the thing with me and most games anymore; I can be anything I want, except me. In Rising World, I can be me. I, in fact am me. So, because you said you liked a few of my write-ups, gogo, I'm going to share my favorite story in my favorite game. I'll start a new thread for Rising World. And, because you said you liked these, when I started this new world on Dec 20th, I named a NPC after you. That's no bs right there, if you'd have Rising World, befriended me, and joined my world, you'd find a Rommel npc. Animals and NPC's sometimes ignore walls, especially when they're placed underground, so he's on the top floor of the home that hides the entrance to my subterranean colony. He's in a suit, due to the job I plan on giving him once I can place him underground.