Jump to content
FrankRentmeister

How to play Sacred Gold Multiplayer - Which possibilities remain

Recommended Posts

Hi

that as a developer of Sacred I have to ask here is amazing. Well, but why?

As part of an article, I ask if there are any active players on freeVPN or other solutions that are still playing Sacred.

What options are currently available via VPN or even other options? Hamachi is not anymore.

So did you find other options?

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 7:33 AM, FrankRentmeister said:

Hi

that as a developer of Sacred I have to ask here is amazing. Well, but why?

As part of an article, I ask if there are any active players on freeVPN or other solutions that are still playing Sacred.

What options are currently available via VPN or even other options? Hamachi is not anymore.

So did you find other options?

Hello frank!! Always awesome seeing u here on the boards. I know there been some posts about playing sacred online .. but it looks like there are less and less successful options these days 🙁

 

what would it take if we were to be imaginative... code a server and permissions?

 

😀

gogo

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 2:21 PM, gogoblender said:

what would it take if we were to be imaginative... code a server and permissions?

I actually asked the developer of TinCat (network lobby library used by Sacred) if he could provide the community with a documentation so we could build our own lobby server and get Sacred back online without need of a VPN service.

Unfortunately he can't provide the documentation for legal reasons but he said it's a very simple design and it would not be hard to reverse engineer it and recreate a lobby server. So if anyone is willing to take up the task, I am sure there are still players enjoying Sacred 1.

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thorium said:

I actually asked the developer of TinCat (network lobby library used by Sacred) if he could provide the community with a documentation so we could build our own lobby server and get Sacred back online without need of a VPN service.

Unfortunately he can't provide the documentation for legal reasons but he said it's a very simple design and it would not be hard to reverse engineer it and recreate a lobby server. So if anyone is willing to take up the task, I am sure there are still players enjoying Sacred 1.

 Awesome that you were able to chat him!  The software is so old though... at some point could it become abandonware or freeware? Or perhaps something that can be developed with others legally or used?

 

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FrankRentmeister. Hello, what an honor even if I know of you just thanks to MantisBT but it helped a lot for Sacred 2 community patch so: Thanks! :)

 

I don't know myself about a way to play Sacred online, long time didn't try (thought it was still possible through Hamachi or something) but hearing Thorin speaking about an eventual possibility of making a "community server" is much appealing even if hard to realise surely unless of good knowledge.

Santa Klaus?

I was just passing by so I stopped a bit.

  • Like! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 2:07 AM, desm said:

FrankRentmeister. Hello, what an honor even if I know of you just thanks to MantisBT but it helped a lot for Sacred 2 community patch so: Thanks! :)

 

I don't know myself about a way to play Sacred online, long time didn't try (thought it was still possible through Hamachi or something) but hearing Thorin speaking about an eventual possibility of making a "community server" is much appealing even if hard to realise surely unless of good knowledge.

Santa Klaus?

I was just passing by so I stopped a bit.

Desm, wonderful seeing you here...  you just dropped in in time for some christmas date cake and a glass of something err... strong!

:drunkards:

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

if you’re still looking for an alternative to play Sacred online - try Radmin VPN.

I tested it today… it worked great and I’m not an expert for sure ;)

What you have to do in Windows 10 (sorry for my bad english in advance xD):

1.       Download and install Radmin VPN (you don’t need to register)

2.       Start Radmin and go to control panel -> Networks and Internet -> Networks and Sharing center. There is now a new connection „Radmin VPN“. Give this network a new priority: Click on „Radmin VPN“ -> properties -> check IPv4 protocol -> properties -> advanced options. Now change the metric at the bottom to „1“.

3.       If you want to host a game, create a new network in Radmin VPN.

4.       Open your Sacred folder. You need to adjust the Gameserver.cfg and Settings.cfg (+ STEAM_Settings.cfg if you’re using the Steam version) with the editor. Put your Radmin VPN IP (shown in the app) in these 2 (3) .cfg-datas -> NETWORK_IP_ADRESS: XX.XX.XX.XXX and NETWORK_LOBBY: XX.XX.XX.XXX (all players that want to join your server have to use the same settings)

5.       Now run the GameServer.exe in your Sacred folder to host a server. Important: Use your Radmin VPN IP!

6.       Change your ingame settings -> Multiplayer options –> Data flow: FOR MODEM/ISDN

7.       That’s it! (hopefully^^)

If it’s not working yet, there are 2 options:

1.       Your Firewall is maybe blocking Radmin VPN. In that case just add Radmin VPN to the allowed list in the Firewall configuration.

2.       You need to open the Sacred ports in your router and/or your firewall. The Sacred ports are: UDP/TCP 2005, UDP/TCP 2006.

Hope this helps!

BTW: Feel free to join my Radmin-network:

Name: Sacred UW

PW: 123456

Glad to see you soon ;)

Azazin

  • Like! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azazin said:

Hey guys,

if you’re still looking for an alternative to play Sacred online - try Radmin VPN.

I tested it today… it worked great and I’m not an expert for sure ;)

What you have to do in Windows 10 (sorry for my bad english in advance xD):

1.       Download and install Radmin VPN (you don’t need to register)

2.       Start Radmin and go to control panel -> Networks and Internet -> Networks and Sharing center. There is now a new connection „Radmin VPN“. Give this network a new priority: Click on „Radmin VPN“ -> properties -> check IPv4 protocol -> properties -> advanced options. Now change the metric at the bottom to „1“.

 

 

 

 

 

3.       If you want to host a game, create a new network in Radmin VPN.

 

4.       Open your Sacred folder. You need to adjust the Gameserver.cfg and Settings.cfg (+ STEAM_Settings.cfg if you’re using the Steam version) with the editor. Put your Radmin VPN IP (shown in the app) in these 2 (3) .cfg-datas -> NETWORK_IP_ADRESS: XX.XX.XX.XXX and NETWORK_LOBBY: XX.XX.XX.XXX (all players that want to join your server have to use the same settings)

 

5.       Now run the GameServer.exe in your Sacred folder to host a server. Important: Use your Radmin VPN IP!

 

6.       Change your ingame settings -> Multiplayer options –> Data flow: FOR MODEM/ISDN

7.       That’s it! (hopefully^^)

If it’s not working yet, there are 2 options:

1.       Your Firewall is maybe blocking Radmin VPN. In that case just add Radmin VPN to the allowed list in the Firewall configuration.

2.       You need to open the Sacred ports in your router and/or your firewall. The Sacred ports are: UDP/TCP 2005, UDP/TCP 2006.

Hope this helps!

BTW: Feel free to join my Radmin-network:

Name: Sacred UW

PW: 123456

Glad to see you soon ;)

Azazin

A great guide... how could we not love someone making their first post about putting up a guide to get players together... GJ!~

 

And welcome to DarkMatters!

 

:)

 

gogo

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 7:33 AM, FrankRentmeister said:

Hi

that as a developer of Sacred I have to ask here is amazing. Well, but why?

As part of an article, I ask if there are any active players on freeVPN or other solutions that are still playing Sacred.

What options are currently available via VPN or even other options? Hamachi is not anymore.

So did you find other options?

Heya Frank.  Always nice to see the Old Guard stop by. I'm curious, why is Hamachi no longer an option?  Did Hamachi change their policy in some unappealing way?

 

On 11/25/2018 at 7:02 AM, Thorium said:

I actually asked the developer of TinCat (network lobby library used by Sacred) if he could provide the community with a documentation so we could build our own lobby server and get Sacred back online without need of a VPN service.

Unfortunately he can't provide the documentation for legal reasons but he said it's a very simple design and it would not be hard to reverse engineer it and recreate a lobby server. So if anyone is willing to take up the task, I am sure there are still players enjoying Sacred 1.

A custom lobby server, that would be awesome! 

3 hours ago, Azazin said:

Hey guys,

if you’re still looking for an alternative to play Sacred online - try Radmin VPN.

I tested it today… it worked great and I’m not an expert for sure ;)

 

Fantastic testing Azazin.  I'll be sure to try out what you've discovered.  It might be a good fit for our needs. 

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warm welcome and the feedback :happy:

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally had some time to try out Radmin and it looks like I got it in working order.  Thanks again for your recommendation Azazin!  I like the fact that Radmin doesn't limit the number of allowed players so if all goes well I'll be sticking with Radmin.

I've also been looking into lobby servers.  It never occurred to me until now that we probably have all the needed resources to run an efficient lobby server.  So far I've only come across a few lobby servers out there but the coding lingo associated is quite a lot more advanced than my experience allows me to understand.  Maybe I'll catch on quick.  Alternatively, I could rent a 32 player Hamachi if all else fails.  Might be fun to try and it could be used for Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 simultaneously.  That would be fun!

Should anyone have ideas for lobby servers, I'm all ears.  :dance2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, Schot said:

I finally had some time to try out Radmin and it looks like I got it in working order.  Thanks again for your recommendation Azazin!  I like the fact that Radmin doesn't limit the number of allowed players so if all goes well I'll be sticking with Radmin.

I've also been looking into lobby servers.  It never occurred to me until now that we probably have all the needed resources to run an efficient lobby server.  So far I've only come across a few lobby servers out there but the coding lingo associated is quite a lot more advanced than my experience allows me to understand.  Maybe I'll catch on quick.  Alternatively, I could rent a 32 player Hamachi if all else fails.  Might be fun to try and it could be used for Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 simultaneously.  That would be fun!

Should anyone have ideas for lobby servers, I'm all ears.  :dance2:

I don't know about lobby servers other than having a machine dedicated to running the Sacred Game server tool (I don't believe Sacred 2 needs anything other than being on the same fake LAN:)). I did however manage to get Radmin working. Working in the sense that I created my own server and game successfully... Any plans to do anything now that you're satisfied the concept works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

I don't know about lobby servers other than having a machine dedicated to running the Sacred Game server tool (I don't believe Sacred 2 needs anything other than being on the same fake LAN:)). I did however manage to get Radmin working. Working in the sense that I created my own server and game successfully... Any plans to do anything now that you're satisfied the concept works?

We were actually able to successfully get the radmin working, and we were able to emulate by using our phones to pretend that we were coming from outside ourhome land and join...and we were both onilne! so for Sacred this looks like a very good possiblity for sessions on weekends with some of us here starting from lets say level one and doing quests together? heh, I'd have to read up some sacred one builds for Elf as I've never played her before, but I am so anxious to try out her Ranged abilities... Right now though Schot has just upgraded his entire computer system will be a few hours till he builds the pieces up... stand by for transformation!

In the meantime, im gonna have to rummage through Sacred Elf Builds... DB, did you play Wood Elf? were you using a ranged build that you posted somewhere?

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

We were actually able to successfully get the radmin working, and we were able to emulate by using our phones to pretend that we were coming from outside ourhome land and join...and we were both onilne! so for Sacred this looks like a very good possiblity for sessions on weekends with some of us here starting from lets say level one and doing quests together? heh, I'd have to read up some sacred one builds for Elf as I've never played her before, but I am so anxious to try out her Ranged abilities... Right now though Schot has just upgraded his entire computer system will be a few hours till he builds the pieces up... stand by for transformation!

In the meantime, im gonna have to rummage through Sacred Elf Builds... DB, did you play Wood Elf? were you using a ranged build that you posted somewhere?

:)

 

gogo

Nice work :) Yeah, sounds fun - play for a couple of hours each weekend or something! I remember playing a wood elf build (multi arrow + penetrating or exploding arrow would melt dragons), but never posted anything, it would all have been from following someone else's guide. I wanna play a battle mage actually, never got one past the low levels so would love to do so successfully!

Also, pretty new PC? Are pics in order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dragon Brother said:

Nice work :) Yeah, sounds fun - play for a couple of hours each weekend or something! I remember playing a wood elf build (multi arrow + penetrating or exploding arrow would melt dragons), but never posted anything, it would all have been from following someone else's guide. I wanna play a battle mage actually, never got one past the low levels so would love to do so successfully!

Also, pretty new PC? Are pics in order?

he got all the parts in today...this is the CPU:
 

IMG_1895.jpg

And there's some other stuff he  ordered...plus he also got a pair of headphones for gaming... 130 CAD for this refufrbished and on sale...yowzai

 

 

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, this is gonna take a couple days I think.  :heat:   I'm selling/building a pc for someone using my existing:

CPU(i7-4770K)/Motherboard(Asus Maximus VI Impact)/Memory(DDR3 2x8GB 1600) and my previous video card (Radeon HD 7850) in a DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 ADD-RGB case

At the same time I'm upgrading to:

CPU(i7-8700)/Motherboard(ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I)/Memory(Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB[2x16GB] 2666MHz C16) and keeping my present GTX 1080 in a Node 202 case. 

The challenging part is I need to consolidate nearly 2 decades of data in order to make everything Drive wise more manageable.  Spring cleaning has come early this year, yeesh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Schot said:

Oh boy, this is gonna take a couple days I think.  :heat:   I'm selling/building a pc for someone using my existing:

CPU(i7-4770K)/Motherboard(Asus Maximus VI Impact)/Memory(DDR3 2x8GB 1600) and my previous video card (Radeon HD 7850) in a DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 ADD-RGB case

At the same time I'm upgrading to:

CPU(i7-8700)/Motherboard(ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I)/Memory(Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB[2x16GB] 2666MHz C16) and keeping my present GTX 1080 in a Node 202 case. 

The challenging part is I need to consolidate nearly 2 decades of data in order to make everything Drive wise more manageable.  Spring cleaning has come early this year, yeesh!

Bit of an upgrade then! But also quite a lot of work if theres that much data to sort through, have fun with that! Definitely the least fun part about upgrades. I bought an external sata dock you connect to the PC via USB and can hot swap hard drives into it, makes that part of the process much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 1:02 PM, Thorium said:

I actually asked the developer of TinCat (network lobby library used by Sacred) if he could provide the community with a documentation so we could build our own lobby server and get Sacred back online without need of a VPN service.

Unfortunately he can't provide the documentation for legal reasons but he said it's a very simple design and it would not be hard to reverse engineer it and recreate a lobby server. So if anyone is willing to take up the task, I am sure there are still players enjoying Sacred 1.

Was reading about this, and toyed a little with the idea.

I've a small TCP server to sniff the request from the gameserver... well, it's not garbage but there some binary data, and without a log of some real action between client and server, this is not the real way.

Tried to disassemble Tincat2.dll and well, it's not easy. I'm not so good to understand assembly code on the fly, but seems really difficulty.

Then I had an idea: why not remove completely Tincat? Writing a new Tincat2.dll file would be easy enough if there were some documentation of the APIs, but I understand that also having the interfaces and structs is out of question, isn't? Having that, and writing a new tincat client dll, would remove the legal problem of emulating a server: we are writing a new one from scratch :D

  • zomgod! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alby87 said:

Was reading about this, and toyed a little with the idea.

I've a small TCP server to sniff the request from the gameserver... well, it's not garbage but there some binary data, and without a log of some real action between client and server, this is not the real way.

Tried to disassemble Tincat2.dll and well, it's not easy. I'm not so good to understand assembly code on the fly, but seems really difficulty.

Then I had an idea: why not remove completely Tincat? Writing a new Tincat2.dll file would be easy enough if there were some documentation of the APIs, but I understand that also having the interfaces and structs is out of question, isn't? Having that, and writing a new tincat client dll, would remove the legal problem of emulating a server: we are writing a new one from scratch :D

That's brilliant! Alberto I hope your time comes with the good fruits

:gogo:

 

gogo

p.s. What a glorious first post, welcome to DarkMatters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the warm welcome, but I think I hit more than a roadblock. What would be really useful is someone having a development file that should be called tincat2.h (the header of the tincat library) or someone really good at reading ASM code... It's not that easy to reverse engineer :(

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 11:38 PM, Alby87 said:

Then I had an idea: why not remove completely Tincat? Writing a new Tincat2.dll file would be easy enough if there were some documentation of the APIs, but I understand that also having the interfaces and structs is out of question, isn't? Having that, and writing a new tincat client dll, would remove the legal problem of emulating a server: we are writing a new one from scratch :D

Yes, thats a viable possibility. And thats why I asked the guy for the documentation. But sadly he can't disclose it as it's copyright protected and he is not the kind of guy who has it on a USB stick by random chance and just forgets his USB stick on the table. You know what I mean? ;) I really tried if there is a way for the documentation to "surface". :D

  • Appreciation 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, Thorium said:

Yes, thats a viable possibility. And thats why I asked the guy for the documentation. But sadly he can't disclose it as it's copyright protected and he is not the kind of guy who has it on a USB stick by random chance and just forgets his USB stick on the table. You know what I mean? ;) I really tried if there is a way for the documentation to "surface". :D

Well, but I was thinking: we have at least the executable for the server, we could try to decompile it to understand the basic packet structure, but it's a too big task for just one person. Pvpgn is a project like we want for Sacred made for Blizzard games. They are lucky because their servers are still online. We could ask them for help?

You asked documentation to a Tincat developer or an Ascaron developer? I think that if we could get the Tincat API interface, we still need to understand the protocol, that's inside Gameserver.exe and Sacred.exe. I was thinking if FX interactive (Italian and Spanish distributor) could help us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alby87 said:

You asked documentation to a Tincat developer or an Ascaron developer? I think that if we could get the Tincat API interface, we still need to understand the protocol, that's inside Gameserver.exe and Sacred.exe. I was thinking if FX interactive (Italian and Spanish distributor) could help us.

I spoke to a developer who worked on Tincat.

I also wrote a mail to the actual copyright holder of Tincat without a response. I did this a few years back but don't remember the name of the company anymore.

Well you don't need to worry about Sacreds network protocol to much, As I understand it Tincat is only responsible to negotiate between the client, lobby and server. It's not responsible for the actual game play. It's only for the game lists, chat rooms, etc. all the old Ascaron.Net stuff. I am pretty sure after the negotiation for joining a game of the list, the client and server take over and communicate directly. It would make sense at least. Apart from chat messages to friends, which need to be send via Tincat.

Well I tried to understand it way back for Sacred 2 but I didnt really, so I am not of much help and since I work on my own game I don't want to sacrifice the time, as I think it is actually a lot of time required to reverse engineer it.

s2hackitnetlog.jpg

Edited by Thorium
  • Appreciation 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was thinking... but injecting the IP in memory? I noticed you made a unofficial patch for Sacred, so maybe you know if I'm totally wrong. When in LAN mode, Sacred search in LAN via broadcast. If in the LAN lobby window we inject in memory an Internet IP, may it work? If so, it would be easy to write a side software that des the matchmaking, and then injects the IP on the game.

Is this a good idea? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×