Double hits & Combat Arts + question about Avoidance mod on Shadow Veil

2 questions:

1. Most weapon lores add double hit on mastery. Does this chance affect only normal auto attacks or also weapon CAs like Pelting Strikes or Frenzied Rampage? Recently started a 2 handed SW and was thinking about replacing Hafted Weapons in my planned build with Astral Lord Focus IF the double hit chance doesn't affect CAs (resulting in using no weapon lore at all). That would allow me to make Shadow Veil a utility CA by taking mods Avoidance-Nimble-Shadowmaster and also utilize Concentration mastery by allowing Nether Allegiance.
  2. How exactly does Avoidance mod on Shadow Veil work? Is it like Spell Resistance Mastery (reduction of damage over time duration AND detrimental effects) or does it reduce only detrimental effects without affecting damage over time?

CAs too? Well damn. I guess Frenzied Rampage will be non-stop double hits then with its 2 double hit mods... :drool: :viking:

I might have to cut something else from my build then.... Probably Blacksmith which is a shame as I have been wanting to make a Blacksmith char for a long time. Some other time then.

Thanks for the answers.

• Thanks! 1
  • 3 months later...

From what I recalled the double hit from mastery of sword (for example) does not work with combat arts.  I actually made a build that made use of left clicks and RPH (which can double hit = double RPH) and it ate lots of ruins on weapon combat arts and then recharged with left click double hits.

This is vanilla ice and blood.  I don't know if the mods have changed that behavior.  But I'm pretty sure the mastery double hit bonus only affects left clicks.  You could test it with a character that has sword mastery (or another weapon) that grants double hit chance.  Then test on left clicks get about 100 data and then test with a combat art that does not have a mod to double hit.  Might be easier to test on a combat art that only hits once like Soul Hammer instead of Pelting Strikes.  Again get like 100 data and observe double hits.  A weapon with Life Leach will make double hits stand out a little more as you'll see two orange numbers or one orange number.

For a good test you should also test with and without combat arts using a weapon that the character does not have mastery again 100 data for left clicks and 100 data for combat arts.  This would be the 'blank' test that is formally done in experiments in scientific method.

Edited by claudius