Trouble with Gar'Colosuss (If anyone is still out there)

Howdy,

Played this years ago and recently picked up on Steam for $4 and have been having fun with different characters.  So I decided I needed a utility character (bargaining, blacksmith, and enhanced perception) and found a build in the sites Temple Guardian section.  Everything been going okay until Gar'Colosuss.  I can get the shield down (although it takes forever) but then can't dent him before shield goes back up and he heals.  Meanwhile he pounds through my shield and health while I slam through potions.  I've tried switching to a ranged weapon but then I do even less damage.  Hit and run with Dedicated Blow doesn't work.  Icy Evanescence isn't slowing him down.  Untouchable Force's stun isn't stopping the rage pounding in close.  Eleven attempts, four death, 70 potions and one mount later I'm nowhere but frustrated.  I'm only playing on Silver ffs.

Any ideas on how to beat this S.O.B.?  Is he level locked?  We're both level 20 now, can I do some leveling and come back with him still level 20?

Here's my character so far.

T-Energy Shroud modded Power, Recharge, and Reflection

Combat Alert modded Defensive, Repair, and Permanent 

• Like! 1

Hello!  My first recommendation is to socket something the gold socket of your Boneslicer.  Even it's just the Blacksmith art "Whet" it will help a bunch.  Also, I recommend reading some more runes so that you can level up your combat arts,  If your character is level 20, I'd say your combat arts should be at least level 5.

Look for Regeneration per Hit rings and try to socket them in your gear if you feel your regeneration time are getting too high after leveling your CA's and buffs.

That's just at a cursory glance.

• Thanks! 1

Another thing is if you need set items, repeating the quest "Good Address" can give a few every now and then. It's easily replayable in free mode in a multiplayer game, especially with the community patch that lets you port to thylisium docks. There just clear out some ship thieves and bam, random blues or sets.

• Thanks! 1
9 hours ago, banditCK2 said:

Howdy,

Played this years ago and recently picked up on Steam for $4 and have been having fun with different characters.  So I decided I needed a utility character (bargaining, blacksmith, and enhanced perception) and found a build in the sites Temple Guardian section.  Everything been going okay until Gar'Colosuss.  I can get the shield down (although it takes forever) but then can't dent him before shield goes back up and he heals.  Meanwhile he pounds through my shield and health while I slam through potions.  I've tried switching to a ranged weapon but then I do even less damage.  Hit and run with Dedicated Blow doesn't work.  Icy Evanescence isn't slowing him down.  Untouchable Force's stun isn't stopping the rage pounding in close.  Eleven attempts, four death, 70 potions and one mount later I'm nowhere but frustrated.  I'm only playing on Silver ffs.

Any ideas on how to beat this S.O.B.?  Is he level locked?  We're both level 20 now, can I do some leveling and come back with him still level 20?

Here's my character so far.

T-Energy Shroud modded Power, Recharge, and Reflection

Combat Alert modded Defensive, Repair, and Permanent 

I remember playing this boss when I first started. Boy did he ever love to wallop my builds :cry:  Happy you got some great feedback on taking him out...

and also really happy you found your way to us and have posted up here with the community.... Sacred is awesome!

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

Like Flix said there's some tweaking you can do. Your CAs are very low in level, you should bump your buffs' levels while keeping an eye on the regen times for other CAs. Then with the aid of regen per hit gear you can easily have 0.5 seconds RPH by level 20, and since you're using weapon-based CAs it'll work nicely. You see that coloured bar next to the sigma icon? It's your regen time way too high because you only have one point in Armor Lore. That can also be bettered. Socketing stuff to boost your defensive abilities will make you last longer, and at low levels even a Silver blacksmith art can do wonders.

If I remember right: Shuriken with x% life leech were nice. Moving is your best defence. Throw, reposition, ... So less chance the rocks will hit you. But my TG was weird anyway. I removed his battery very quickly. I hated when he was shooting when I was trying to close the distance with my spikes build ;)

Funny, if you are an utility TG you can do way better than a silver blacksmith, if I've read my tooltips right. The text is way too small and the decimals can be hard to find sometimes though.

Thanks all for the replies and my apologies for the delay in getting back to this thread (busy weekend).  I'll bump my CA's a bit (up to 5 to start) and try again.  I put on a couple levels (really hoping he's locked at 20) so I'll try again tonight or tomorrow.  I'll check that "Good Address" quest out, thanks for that.  I'll be sure to let folks know when I get the S.O.B. down.

He's not "level locked", but he will still be level 20 if you get to it right now since you died and your Survival Bonus went down to zero. If by any chance you grind a bit and your SB goes up again so do the enemy levels climb up. It's just how the game works. ;)

It's been a while since I faced the GC with a char, but if I'm not mistaken the trick was to destroy the rocks he throws at you.

These rocks boost your damage output, making it a lot easier to kill him.

Another trick is to lure the GC up to the stairway until he's at the 2nd or 3rd platform. That way he won't be able to use the leaking T-energy to heal himself and his shield. When you're able to stand a bit above him, you're able to take him down with ranged attacks, while he won't be able to hurt you.

Good luck!

Thorin :)

• 2 months later...

Wow this guy I forgot how hard he can be. :o

I restarted in D2 Fallen. So far I did not manage to create one character (of 3 so far) that was able to not be killed by him. I even prepared and farmed for set items and went only at level 25 to 30.  :sob:

Maybe I should focus more on damage than defense and don't give him a chance to hit me at all. :smart:

Edit: Indeed a damage focused skill (socketed runes or blacksmith arts) + a mount to kite him helps alot.

Edited by ameaeth
  • Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Also, it doesn't help matters any that Vanilla + CM Patch 1.60 contains a bug that allows the Big Rocky Boi to essentially one-hit squishy characters. It can be remedied, and Dimitrius mentioned how in a post, but I forget exactly which one >.>

7 hours ago, thejynxed said:

Also, it doesn't help matters any that Vanilla + CM Patch 1.60 contains a bug that allows the Big Rocky Boi to essentially one-hit squishy characters. It can be remedied, and Dimitrius mentioned how in a post, but I forget exactly which one >.>

Spells.txt, search for "doublehit_attack_ca", and delete this entire line:

entry0 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 1000, 0, 0, 9 },

• Appreciation 1