Sacred 1 Resolution

Hey everyone , I literally just joined to write this and didn't really bother to search the forum. I do apologize if this was already covered/ answered. Sacred 1 was my childhood game and I really wanna go back playing it .. but its not possible to play it on 1920×1080? Everytime I log the game and see these black bars cause my screen doesnt support the game's original resolution , I simply log off..  so my question is .. is there a solution or a patch idk. Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, Severed said:

Hey everyone , I literally just joined to write this and didn't really bother to search the forum. I do apologize if this was already covered/ answered. Sacred 1 was my childhood game and I really wanna go back playing it .. but its not possible to play it on 1920×1080? Everytime I log the game and see these black bars cause my screen doesnt support the game's original resolution , I simply log off..  so my question is .. is there a solution or a patch idk. Thanks in advance. 

Hi, and welcome to DarkMatters, Severed!

When Sacred was originally released there wasn't a lot of mods written for it :(  In the case of the resolution, I can see how for the times it wouldnt weather so well on a large screen.  I'm not sure if I've heard of a mod that can you what you want though... hopefully someone else where will have some thoughts as well

Happy you made it over here to the boards...

have fun!

:)

gogo

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately the resolution is hardcoded at 1024x768 @ 60hz max, so anything you might find to increase the resolution is actually just creating a larger game window for Windowed Mode (the default windowed mode doesn't work properly on LCD monitors, it creates a tiny window in the center of your screen and you can't expand it without some trickery) then stretching everything out to fill the window, meaning it's not going to look good regardless since there is no high resolution texture pack available, on top of this it sometimes causes major bugs in the game. I just play it in non-windowed mode on my 22inch monitor and deal with...the ugly.

Note: Sacred 1 also does not like it if you have more than one monitor active at a time, nor does it like it if you have a multi-core CPU. To avoid crashes/the game locking up entirely, you really should temporarily disable (not just turn off) any extra monitors while playing, and use something like Process Explorer to assign Sacred.exe to a single core. In a Q&A back in the dinosaur era, one of the lead devs said they had considered patching the game during Underworld to be more compatible with multi-core CPUs and higher resolutions, but decided not to because they didn't have access to such equipment themselves to do any testing, as Sacred was developed on bog-standard single-core Intel Dell computers and both multi-core CPUs and high resolution/size monitors were both new to the market at that time and very expensive (the monitor in question was a CRT by Silicon Graphics, the screen itself was a Sony Trinitron and it was 2304 x 1440 @ 120hz with a 16:10 aspect ratio & 1 VGA output - price then: $2,400 USD used, around $4,600 new).

Edited by thejynxed