Advice Needed on How to Acquire Better Gear Without The Trade Skill

Hello everyone,

A happy new year to you all.

I haven't played Sacred in quite a while (and when I did quite a while ago, I never made it much further than, say, level 60 with any character), but recently came back to it. I am playing a Gladiator, and my biggest issue is the lack of gear upgrades. Obviously, a Gladiator cannot use the trade skill before level 50, so shopping is no option for useful stuff. At the time being, the character is level 29 and killing lots of orcs in the desert. Levelling up was fast and easy until now that the enemies have toughened up enough to make killing them a chore because I cannot find any better gear than the pieces I'm already wearing. I should be grateful for any advice by more experienced players. Should I export my game and restart on Silver so as to kill the early bosses again? For aught I know, they don't just respawn as they do in many other games of this kind (I've played Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo III, Torchlight, Torchlight II, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, so I'm not particularly new to the genre). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind grinding for loot and experience, but without any upgrades, killing enemies takes for ever.

Best regards,

DeadByDefault

The only thing I can think of is for you to do some quests in Mascarell or Timberton that could give you some weapons, gold,XP,or runes, or just go to silver.

Hope that helps

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, DeadByDefault said:

Thank you for your reply, Whisky.

You're right, as with ARPG's they are loot driven, and not having access to them can quickly stalemate the game.  Whisky's advice is great.  Also, you might try to see about creating a character thats got loads of sockets,or best you can get, then go go to the vendor and buy anything with at least one bargaining in it... simply having that in your gear at least one per item when you're shopping will tremendously increase what the merchants will offer resulting in equipment that can get you through levels quickly.

Happy to see you here on the boards and enjoying Sacred... welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Go to silver, there's no real benefit in going past level 30 Bronze.

You can get much better drops from boss/champion monsters - they have yellow and blue circles on them

This is pretty useful -

http://pctalk.info/Games/Sacred2/Wolfes.Lair/SacredUnderworld/Pages/Misc.html

I'm a big fan of the 'rim valley - gotten good drops. Orc cave is good too if you are in the desert.

• 3 months later...

Another tip - you can easily farm the undead dragon boss south of the orc city in the desert, and the orcs themselves seem to drop better gear overall than most places in the game. Just be careful of the goblin shamans on the way there that can root you and also the roaming undead groups, their leader is usually a champion undead skeleton mage and they can be deadly to under-geared players. The dragon itself is easy IF you avoid the poison clouds it leaves on the ground, so basically you want to kite the dragon around a bit so you aren't eating a huge DoT on top of it's breath weapon. It helps if you do the main quest up to getting the one NPC as your "partner in crime", whom you can slap a sword & shield or a bow onto and he'll help you kill things, and heal potions work on him too ;)

• Like! 1
On 4/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mare said:

There is another way to get very good items: the set cavern.

The name comes from the easiness to find set items there. It's located just a bit East of Khorad Nur.

It's circular, co you can always go ahead, and it's full of bosses.

The best way to get set items, exept Anducar and hacks.

:ninja:

Second best way from my experience. Best way is to play the game on the highest difficulty, immediately run to the Orc area (or if you're confident enough, sneak up to the Zhurag-Nur area through the one side cavern and farm priestess groups & Shaddar'Rim) and farm the crap out of the Orc champs. I will usually pull 5-6 groups at once and use Area of Effect to smash them all into giant piles of loot that stretch off of my screen. This tactic is best used with Dwarf or Gladiator (howitzer and your leap attack). I spent less than two hours and had three-four full sets including jewelry.

Where you do NOT want to do this unless you are highly experienced with your character and well-geared: Tyr Lysia in the high-elf/dark elf area. Unless you're prepared, their Radiant Pillar spam will have you respawning before you know what hit you, and you also risk running into not one but three dragons if you follow certain paths, with two dragons appearing right next to each other along with roaming groups of elves. I solo these on all of my characters because I have played Sacred for 14 years now (yes, it's been that long) and there are nothing these NPCs can do that I am unprepared for ;)

Edited by thejynxed
  • Like! 1
25 minutes ago, thejynxed said:

Second best way from my experience. Best way is to play the game on the highest difficulty, immediately run to the Orc area (or if you're confident enough, sneak up to the Zhurag-Nur area through the one side cavern and farm priestess groups & Shaddar'Rim) and farm the crap out of the Orc champs. I will usually pull 5-6 groups at once and use Area of Effect to smash them all into giant piles of loot that stretch off of my screen. This tactic is best used with Dwarf or Gladiator (howitzer and your leap attack). I spent less than two hours and had three-four full sets including jewelry.

Where you do NOT want to do this unless you are highly experienced with your character and well-geared: Tyr Lysia in the high-elf/dark elf area. Unless you're prepared, their Radiant Pillar spam will have you respawning before you know what hit you, and you also risk running into not one but three dragons if you follow certain paths, with two dragons appearing right next to each other along with roaming groups of elves. I solo these on all of my characters because I have played Sacred for 14 years now (yes, it's been that long) and there are nothing these NPCs can do that I am unprepared for ;)

Another way to get set items (only on silver and upper difficulty levels) is doing lots of quest. Some quests has an high probability to give you set items as reward.

PS: Killing ice elves is my hobby!

:resp:

On 4/20/2019 at 6:30 PM, Mare said:

There is another way to get very good items: the set cavern.

The name comes from the easiness to find set items there. It's located just a bit East of Khorad Nur.

It's circular, co you can always go ahead, and it's full of bosses.

The best way to get set items, exept Anducar and hacks.

:ninja:

Here's the map!!! (made by me for this topic)

1223523658_SetCavern.png.c4d72afe78c806a83f02c35c215057c9.png

• Respect! 1

Also another important thing at low levels when you surely don't wear a magic find based set yet is to never die, to make your survival bonus rise: this stat is increased whenever you are in a combat situation (orange circle around you) and as time goes on in that mode, your bonus grows up to 99%. This bonus increased your magic find and damage dealt. Magic find = better chances of finding good items. When you die your survival bonus goes down to zero.

More info about Survival Bonus here

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred:Survival_Bonus

4 hours ago, turokz said:

Also another important thing at low levels when you surely don't wear a magic find based set yet is to never die, to make your survival bonus rise: this stat is increased whenever you are in a combat situation (orange circle around you) and as time goes on in that mode, your bonus grows up to 99%. This bonus increased your magic find and damage dealt. Magic find = better chances of finding good items. When you die your survival bonus goes down to zero.

More info about Survival Bonus here

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred:Survival_Bonus

This is a good advice. I have tried to win the campaign without dying: I failed with the glad (died 2 times) but I successed with the BM, obviously in bronze difficulty!

:viking:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the woods around Timberton - area is rich with Orc champs and small enough for quick round-ups. Good place to take a break for the MQ and get a few nice items while there. When I get bored of desert orcs I end up here to rumble with the immigrants :D. Playing a level.42 WE atm and found at least 4 set items, even with very modest MF. 

For me, an even bigger challenge lies in acquiring quality rings/amulets, especially for a character without trading. The only way about is to go ghostbusting and the best place to do that would be the famous "ghost cave" near
Highmarsh, south of the river IIRC. I've found couple of useful pieces from the ephemeral residents of the numerous haunted mansions/basements throughout Ancaria but that cave is just epic!

• Like! 1
On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 AM, iFLAME said:

Don't forget the woods around Timberton - area is rich with Orc champs and small enough for quick round-ups. Good place to take a break for the MQ and get a few nice items while there. When I get bored of desert orcs I end up here to rumble with the immigrants :D. Playing a level.42 WE atm and found at least 4 set items, even with very modest MF. 

For me, an even bigger challenge lies in acquiring quality rings/amulets, especially for a character without trading. The only way about is to go ghostbusting and the best place to do that would be the famous "ghost cave" near
Highmarsh, south of the river IIRC. I've found couple of useful pieces from the ephemeral residents of the numerous haunted mansions/basements throughout Ancaria but that cave is just epic!

Rather than at timberton, the best place is the fields of ice elves at tyr harad. There you can find even more enemies.

Do you use rings do you use rings for their own power or for enchanting weapons with a blacksmith?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, Mare said:

Rather than at timberton, the best place is the fields of ice elves at tyr harad. There you can find even more enemies.

Do you use rings do you use rings for their own power or for enchanting weapons with a blacksmith? 

Tyr-Hadar is an excellent place for hunting no doubt but it's huge and can be tricky for new players. The woods around Timberton, as I said earlier is small enough for quick round-ups with good density of Orc-champs and less of a chance of being overwhelmed. Also it's readily available and  has a portal nearby to boot. IIRC, you need to advance to a certain stage (siege of Mascarell, is it?) in the main quest to get access to Tyr-Hadar area. 

As for the rings, I put those on as well as infuse into equipment. As the OP mentioned, most of my toons are w/o trade and I really had a hard time acquiring decent jewelries until I came across the ghost-cave!

• Like! 1

You're right: tyr hadar is better than timperton for experience, but it's also very hard.

Another way to find good items is killing dragons. they usually drops tons of interesting items.

• Like! 1