That moment when you encounter an overpowered boss.......

After being absent from Sacred 2 for quite some time, I recently picked the game up again. One of the reasons why I abandonned it, was because I had 3 characters at near same levels running in the same area in Gold. And trust me, when seeing the same part of sand for the third time when leveling another character, things do get boring.

Anyway, I decided to focus at my pyromancer HE for now, as she's also my shopper and therefore would be able to support the other characters later on.

I knew I had three quests open, as at the time of starting them, the bosses were overpowered. Yet, after running around counting grains of sa.... erhm, collecting XP, I decided to face one of them: Holos, that minotaur. Didn't take me long to kill him, most likely because I had gained one level and used the five skill points to boost her pyromancer lore focus, concentration and armour, as well as the "fun skill" bargaining. And I think casting meteors at a 1.5s interval, while the 12 meteors do 2.3K dmg each, helps a lot. Even if the HE is at level 94 and Holos was at level 103 because of SB. Did more exploring and had fun wiping out the wherewolf army at the Twitty Tister, despite it was a challenge as you're very outnumbered by champions.

So I continued, ended up to the spot where I had to kill the Garganthropod, went in, brought it down to about 50% health, retreated because it spawned those t-mutation scorps; which do lots of magic dmg and thus weaken you for other damage types; killed the offspring, went back in, removed the other 50% health and killed the three new offspring as well. And all while drinking 5-6 health potions maximum.

So.... of to the jungle it was. Didn't have many problems  there, although the panther champs were able to forcing me hitting space every once in a while. Went in to see Krall; who was at the time 11 levels above me (105 vs my 94), killed him with using two potions and the few things after that managed to get me to level 95. To finish the area I had two (or three) more quests to do. One was the spider queen, the other one the boathouse and clearing the islands connected to that. So I went into  the dungeon, killed the champ spiders spawning there with a single meteor strike (still at 1.4s regen, but now doing 2.4K dmg), talked to the spiderqueen and decided to kill her, instead of the seraphim giving you the final quest. Not smart, perhaps, considering my HE does the shadow path; not to mention I know that bitch is tough; but I never expected to happen what happened now.

Turns out the spider queen is FAR stronger as the campaign bosses. She was level 106, compared to my HE's level 95; but still. She's able to heal up to full health as soon as she's down to 70% health, unless you're able to hit her hard enough to get below that. And around 30% health she's got this dreadfull healing spell as well.

She's also able to debuf you, making you a lot more vunerable to her spells, plus that she's doing 4 kinds of damage, making you pretty vunerable to one kind as you can only fit 3 orbs in the sockets. And on top of that she's also able to summon multiple kinds of spiders. Plus, I'm pretty sure she got something like WIDD, seeing what happened next.

I was able to survive all of that, until I got her down to 25%. At that point she hit me with a magic spell killing 70+% of my health, followed by a similar spell doing the same amount of damage the moment I hit my space bar. The end result was a dead HE in that dungeon and me cursing in all the languages I know.

After the respawning - thank the Sacred gods I was playing softcore!!! - I finished that boathouse quest; explored the island, killed the earth lord with some difficulty as he wasn't vunerable to fire and physic dmg was low at him (makes sense, since he's got high phys resistance), but wasn't happy at all.

Main reason: I lost over 50 Survival bonus, also means all spawns are now at my level or one level above me. It also means I'm getting basically crap items right now (my level, instead of 11 levels above me), XP is crap because all is at a similar level and the entire challenge because of the SB is gone.

And that made me wonder; why is it, that mini-bosses in the CM have become far stronger as the campaign bosses? If it's for "fun", then I don't see the fun of it. This game is suposed to be a challenge, but with minibosses having higher resistances and doing more damage as campaign bosses, the balance and fun is gone.

I had fun killing the wherewolf army at the Twitty Tister. I had fun killing the Garganthropod and Klar the Flying Demon. I had fun killing Holos and the Earth Lord, I had fun when kiling the Harpy Queen and I even had fun when I didn't pay attention and 6 of those large green scorpion champions tried to kill me (and almost succeeded) and I even had fun killing another boss I aparently had forgotten. I didn't have fun when encountering the overpowered spider queen.

Any opponent should be able to down - fast or slow, that doesn't matter - if it's confronted with a hail of 12 meteors doing 2.4-2.5K in damage each and which is cast every 1.4 seconds. Yet, that spiderqueen doesn't and in fact only seems to get stronger.

So here's my request / comment: Perhaps it's time to check mini-bosses to make sure they won't be overpowered compared to the main campaign bosses. The latter should be hard, not the former.

Especially now there are more mods to make the game harder for those who want it, it may be time to keep the CM patch for what it is, to make sure the community gets their share of fun, not just a group of players who like challenges.

As right as it is, that spider queen isn't a challenge, but a certain way to have your char commit suicide.

Thorin :)

PS: yes, even a day later I'm still piffed off about this. So imange how I was like yesterday.

Edit: this is what happens when I encounter a poison lord (who's got more phys resistance as poison resistance)

TfDF66B.png

And the dmg my meteors do:
KplwTHt.png

And don't start about being underpowered, as the level 96 champ turtles go down with 1-2 meteor strikes.

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
added screenies
  • Like! 1

Androdion is precisely correct in his assessments, particularly the importance of Ancient Magic and that it is crucial in dealing damage to tough enemies that are resistant to your damage type or types. However, I recall that Flix once mentioned how "overpowered" he believed the Spider Queen to be and I concur. Nevertheless, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be gained in her ultimate defeat and there should be at least one special drop for having done so. I believe the game would be much more fun if there were more special drops given for completing certain quests and for slaying bosses. For example in the quest, Playing With Bears, which is given by little Mary in Sloeford, one should receive a Blessed Relic instead of a low grade relic of frost. Forgive me, please, for I am straying shamelessly from the topic at hand.

There are ways to defeat the pernicious Spider Queen and I would like to help you do so by offering some advice and clarifying the importance of some certain aspects of your build. Because, quite frankly, you need to do everything right to pull this off in a heroic manner. This having been said, I do not wish to come off as unsympathetic, as I have encountered the same death scenario at her vile hand myself, cursed, craven, canine contessa, and she devil that she is!

You don't have to over-stack your sockets with "all skills +" rings and amulets but I would advise some and an Artamark's Star or two to add the base armor types. This will help when the relics that you carry are missing that crucial resistance. It's important to kill her as quickly as possible, so forge in (for an Arrant Pyromancer) as many rings that deal additional fire and physical damage as you can muster. This will help you everywhere else throughout Ancaria as well! Grand Invigoration requires the following modifications in order to make your lady more powerful and resistant. Bronze: Arrant Pyromancer Expertise, Silver: Life Energy, Gold: Resilience. Please, do not forget to employ Expulse Magic, I cannot stress this enough. I recommend having it regenerate at a period of about half a second or just under and spam the Hades out of it before you engage "Her Loathsomeness." Finally, and again I stress its vast importance, Expulse Magic shall work wonders with the following modifications. Bronze: Strength, Silver: Pentagram, and Gold: Protection. Now you need to be certain that you have mastered Armor Lore, Constitution, and particularly Spell Resistance, even in lieu of Constitution. Now, let's be sure that you have Incendiary Shower Combat Art modded with Bronze: Magma Rain, Silver: Continuity, and Gold, Devastation. She should now become but a pile of flaming goo before she knows what hit her!

16 hours ago, Thorin Oakshield said:

After being absent from Sacred 2 for quite some time, I recently picked the game up again. One of the reasons why I abandonned it, was because I had 3 characters at near same levels running in the same area in Gold. And trust me, when seeing the same part of sand for the third time when leveling another character, things do get boring.

Anyway, I decided to focus at my pyromancer HE for now, as she's also my shopper and therefore would be able to support the other characters later on.

I knew I had three quests open, as at the time of starting them, the bosses were overpowered. Yet, after running around counting grains of sa.... erhm, collecting XP, I decided to face one of them: Holos, that minotaur. Didn't take me long to kill him, most likely because I had gained one level and used the five skill points to boost her pyromancer lore focus, concentration and armour, as well as the "fun skill" bargaining. And I think casting meteors at a 1.5s interval, while the 12 meteors do 2.3K dmg each, helps a lot. Even if the HE is at level 94 and Holos was at level 103 because of SB. Did more exploring and had fun wiping out the wherewolf army at the Twitty Tister, despite it was a challenge as you're very outnumbered by champions.

So I continued, ended up to the spot where I had to kill the Garganthropod, went in, brought it down to about 50% health, retreated because it spawned those t-mutation scorps; which do lots of magic dmg and thus weaken you for other damage types; killed the offspring, went back in, removed the other 50% health and killed the three new offspring as well. And all while drinking 5-6 health potions maximum.

So.... of to the jungle it was. Didn't have many problems  there, although the panther champs were able to forcing me hitting space every once in a while. Went in to see Krall; who was at the time 11 levels above me (105 vs my 94), killed him with using two potions and the few things after that managed to get me to level 95. To finish the area I had two (or three) more quests to do. One was the spider queen, the other one the boathouse and clearing the islands connected to that. So I went into  the dungeon, killed the champ spiders spawning there with a single meteor strike (still at 1.4s regen, but now doing 2.4K dmg), talked to the spiderqueen and decided to kill her, instead of the seraphim giving you the final quest. Not smart, perhaps, considering my HE does the shadow path; not to mention I know that bitch is tough; but I never expected to happen what happened now.

Turns out the spider queen is FAR stronger as the campaign bosses. She was level 106, compared to my HE's level 95; but still. She's able to heal up to full health as soon as she's down to 70% health, unless you're able to hit her hard enough to get below that. And around 30% health she's got this dreadfull healing spell as well.

She's also able to debuf you, making you a lot more vunerable to her spells, plus that she's doing 4 kinds of damage, making you pretty vunerable to one kind as you can only fit 3 orbs in the sockets. And on top of that she's also able to summon multiple kinds of spiders. Plus, I'm pretty sure she got something like WIDD, seeing what happened next.

I was able to survive all of that, until I got her down to 25%. At that point she hit me with a magic spell killing 70+% of my health, followed by a similar spell doing the same amount of damage the moment I hit my space bar. The end result was a dead HE in that dungeon and me cursing in all the languages I know.

After the respawning - thank the Sacred gods I was playing softcore!!! - I finished that boathouse quest; explored the island, killed the earth lord with some difficulty as he wasn't vunerable to fire and physic dmg was low at him (makes sense, since he's got high phys resistance), but wasn't happy at all.

Main reason: I lost over 50 Survival bonus, also means all spawns are now at my level or one level above me. It also means I'm getting basically crap items right now (my level, instead of 11 levels above me), XP is crap because all is at a similar level and the entire challenge because of the SB is gone.

And that made me wonder; why is it, that mini-bosses in the CM have become far stronger as the campaign bosses? If it's for "fun", then I don't see the fun of it. This game is suposed to be a challenge, but with minibosses having higher resistances and doing more damage as campaign bosses, the balance and fun is gone.

I had fun killing the wherewolf army at the Twitty Tister. I had fun killing the Garganthropod and Klar the Flying Demon. I had fun killing Holos and the Earth Lord, I had fun when kiling the Harpy Queen and I even had fun when I didn't pay attention and 6 of those large green scorpion champions tried to kill me (and almost succeeded) and I even had fun killing another boss I aparently had forgotten. I didn't have fun when encountering the overpowered spider queen.

Any opponent should be able to down - fast or slow, that doesn't matter - if it's confronted with a hail of 12 meteors doing 2.4-2.5K in damage each and which is cast every 1.4 seconds. Yet, that spiderqueen doesn't and in fact only seems to get stronger.

So here's my request / comment: Perhaps it's time to check mini-bosses to make sure they won't be overpowered compared to the main campaign bosses. The latter should be hard, not the former.

Especially now there are more mods to make the game harder for those who want it, it may be time to keep the CM patch for what it is, to make sure the community gets their share of fun, not just a group of players who like challenges.

As right as it is, that spider queen isn't a challenge, but a certain way to have your char commit suicide.

PS: yes, even a day later I'm still piffed off about this. So imange how I was like yesterday.

Edit: this is what happens when I encounter a poison lord (who's got more phys resistance as poison resistance)

TfDF66B.png

And the dmg my meteors do:
KplwTHt.png

And don't start about being underpowered, as the level 96 champ turtles go down with 1-2 meteor strikes.

Love your topic! Last night was digging down into this with all the comments from the other posters about this really tough denizen... fascinating! And I never even had my chance to take a slug at her ... course I looked online to see if I could find a video and the one I found had a Seraphim taking huge damage while only taking out small to middling shots out of the Queen's reservoir of points...thanks everyone for the draw in here, felt just like old school days... Always loved the variety of Bosses in this game, and the complex if not artistic strategies used in turning them into dust

:oooo:

gogo

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Flix said:

I think of Asmarael as a challenge boss tucked away in an optional side quest that doesn't hinder the player if they can't conquer it.

Awesome

What a delight and treat for players

Cool to think that there could possibly be some things that are unbeatable.

I wonder how many HC Players this side quest took out in the olden days of Ascaron Game servers

:eek:

gogo

Long post ahead, so those who don't want to read, better move to another topic now......................
To start with, I discovered - to my horror, I must admit - that my HE was still wearing some of her Silver items, including a level 39 - most likely because of the socketted ammy or ring - piece. That's kinda asking for the problems I ran into. :blush2: So it looks the death of my HE was more my own fault as in lacking the right equipment and perhaps being a bit too overconvident after so easily killing the campaign bosses, as it was to the CM patch.

@Hooyaah , Thx for the tips. Unfortunately at my current level, Meteor Strike has already been improved, so I won't be able to use the ones you suggested. The improvements I choose were based upon one of the builds I found here; but I also discovered some of the names of the improvements have been changed at some point; which also may have been a reason or a cause for the problems. Anyway, the things I choose were Skull SmashSmoldering Boulder and Copious Shower. It's listed in the screenshot as well, so no reason to explain why.

For Grand Ivigoration I choose the same things you reccommended, although I'm not certain I've got enough points for a full spec yet. I am pretty sure I haven't been able to spec Expulse Magic yet, but your list was the same I had in mind - again, based upon that old topic - so at least I'm certain I took the right choices there. Makes me wonder if my build is based upon an old one you created a long time ago.

As for DPS, I'm able to rain down 12 meteors doing 2.4K dmg each at a 1.4s interval. That's over 20K dmg a second; which should've been enough to deal with her. Unless my calculations are off somewhere?

@gogoblender Have you seen that this player actually had the time to move his mousepointer away from the spiderqueen to click at a healthpotion? And not once, but multiple times? :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

@Flix: Yeah,  that leech option most NPC have is sometimes maddeing. Especially since they got it at both the physical - as in melee and ranged attacks - as the spell attacks; while as a player you only have it for your physical attacks.
I do understand why the dev's took it out, knowing how my BM was able to survive a mob starting with 1% HP left, and then casting one or two fire spirals to use the 25-30% socketted LL to heal up. But at the same time, it meant that you go from overpowered in one game into underpowered in the sequel.

And now you mention it, that LL could very well been the reason my char got killed.
Like I said in my first post, she got hit twice in a row by some super spell or something. I had been able to heal up after previous attacks from her; which didn't take out more as 1/3rd of her health. However, if she did two of those spells, burning through all of my resistances and have LL on top of that; yes, that may be enough for her to kill my HE with two shots. Still, not something I'm happy about though.

Anyway, one of the reasons I wasn't happy with the death was the way it happened, but also because of the loss. I had build up a nice amount of SB, making me fighting monsters 11 levels above me. After that death and all monsters at my level, I have been one-shotting them for quite some time. And since SB is based upon my actuall combat time and not - as in S:UW - upon the time you are near monsters, one-shotting monsters doesn't help much in building it up again. There were times I relied to other spells to fight monsters, just to increase the actually fighting time. But it eventually paid off and I'm facing monsters 6 levels above me again.

I noticed that even that can be a pain, when encountering Mazzagon's Female bodyguards 

ThePrisonWing_DMM_2FB.jpg

who were almost shredding me because of their setup. Which is a totem cast from one and rooting you from the other; as well as some other Dryad spells and, again, their spells having LL. Those two things combined can be deadly, so I used my Expulse Magic / meteor shower combo to deal with  them until the point they gave up their casting and "simply" switched to melee. After that it was just spamming meteors until they went down. Compared to them the endboss of that quest was a walk in the park with your partner, while eating icecream and enjoying the sun.

More important, with those 6 level's because of the SB and my char being level 97 atm, dropped items are getting better as well. I'm not where I should be, but I'm getting to where I used to be, including getting more difficult monsters over time. Still, I got the feeling that the previous two minibosses will be a lot harder as the Facetteleon. Especially since the latter doesn't move around as much and is partially ice / magic based and thus no match to an overdose of fire / physical damage. I hope.

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, Thorin Oakshield said:

@gogoblender Have you seen that this player actually had the time to move his mousepointer away from the spiderqueen to click at a healthpotion? And not once, but multiple times? :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

I know! both me and Schot had a hoot watching the video... the transformation firstly took me by surprise as I hadnt seen it before, and then seeing all the deeking and running, good tension, and camerawork on the part of the player ... quite exciting...that player had a good flee/fight reaction in progress

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1

First task done: I managed to survive long enough to enter platinum with this character. It's been a close call a few times, including once fighting one of the machine bosses, but I managed it. Gained enough SB to end up with monster level of 108, at my own 99, most of the quests done (flame lord, poison lord and that Spider bwitch are open and empy Office is one I'm still considering) at the main campaign area; not certain if I move her in gold to the Ice and Blood area's or if I'll do that later. Knowing that especially the Blood Forest is having lots of anti-magic critters, visiting those area's later may be a better choice.

As for skills and other stats:

1PYJqh6.png

I got a full list of the points I've allocated, as well as all the additions done to the CA's in an excell file, to keep an eye on them, but also to keep track of what I actually spend where without taking all the items off of her. Won't post that list here, unless someone is interested. That may also the reason why I missed that comment Hooya posted. I started this build quite a while ago, set up my skills and the end-levels in an excell doc and never bothered looking at the post as I got all I needed to know. Or so I thought. :( Oh well, nothing I can do about that now, unless starting over some day. Perhaps I will, perhaps I'll do an ice build later. For now I'm going to level her a bit in Platinum and wondering if I should do the empty office quest or not (given that I may use the items on a seraphim I got waiting in Platinum as well.)

Hey Thorin, hover your mouse over the Sigma, Σ and take a screenshot of your stats. You want to get fire damage up as high as you can and you can accomplish this with "yellow" high quality rings. You can take your character into multiplayer and shop on The Island of Many Roads. It makes shopping easier if you go into balance.txt and adjust the following values:

balance.PNG.68f8a8c887dec3182a2bda8b62ae1396.PNG

While you are at it look for TraderOfferUpperRareBase and adjust the integer to = 24. With TraderOfferMaxLifetime set to a value of one you can go from the Merchant the Rune Master and Blacksmith and their wares will refresh each time. If you open your chest they will also refresh. You want to select the rings that have All Skills +x with Fire Damage +x%, and Physical Damage +x% (I'd focus more on Fire Damage as it affects all three C.A.s). You can sometimes (rarely) find a ring with only the fire damage modifier and at almost twice the usual percentage. The added fire and physical damage will render your Incendiary Shower much more powerful. Also look for pendants that boost Skills, Combat Arts, and the Arrant Pyromancer Aspect. This will make all of your Combat Arts devastating and the boost to your skills won't hurt either.

That's my suggestion since you already have Bargaining, you may as well take full advantage of it, sir!

:agreed:

• Like! 1

I assume he already has +19 All Skills given the numerical difference between the skill level and character level. ;) It's better to run shopping for +Bargaining amulets and socket them into a proper suit, and as you get more bonus points into it better stuff will appear. Less than 200-250 skill level at 99 character level probably won't show excellent stuff though. 

Odd that Constitution isn't mastered and that at halfway through only two skills are mastered. You could have four to five mastered skills at level 99 and that would make a lot of difference I believe. You should definitely master Constitution and the Pyro skills as soon as possible, Ancient Magic though tempting can be left for later on. One interesting thing is that you can run a shield build with a single point in SL and you'll still have around 50% block chance from melee attacks, which combined with Incandescent Skin's Revenge mod should get your defense covered. I did so with a Magic Coup HE and it works well enough and you need not stray your skill points too far. Enhanced Perception... Either char level or leave it in my opinion. Also, if you already have Concentration that high you might as well master it and use all three buffs, modifying the imp for better regen times, which will result in better DPS.

Other than that just eat 200 runes into GI since it's basically a "negative penalty" (a boni). The more the skill climbs the more benefits you get so get it to 200 and raise it as far as possible. It's just about the only buff where that's true. Cool to see a full Armaments of Hell set!

• Like! 1

I s'pose you mean this:

DTgISle.png

I think I might as well list all my skills and the levels I intend to take them to: (listed as skill, current level, intended level)

Bargaining: 99 / maxed
Arrant Pyro Lore: 48 / 100
Concentration: 45 / 100
Arrant Pyro Focus: 41 / 75
Armor Lore: 99 / 100
Constitution: 31 / 75
Ancient Magic: 24 / 75
Delphic Arcania Focus: 13 / 14  (which doesn't seem right imho, as I intend to spec Expulse Magic as well)
Shield Lore: 5 / 75
Enhanced perception: 11 / al remaining skill points

Didn't know that about Grand Ivi, so will certainly turn all my runes into that and eat it to the max. May be very useful indeed to have the max bonus of that one.

Got myself a bargaining suit (all the armour, orbs and some rings amy in the top of my inventory), as well as a bargaining slot (the last one) which - if I'm not mistaken - boosts my bargaining close to or even over 200. I'm not certain about it at the moment, as I need to upgrade some of the amulets in it. I was lucky enough to find myself two Necklaces of Greed giving me +4 bargain, as well as some armour pieces giving one or more points higher as the one they replaced. Haven't been shopping since, so haven't tested it yet. Will do that after I finished the Empty Office Quest on gold.
With the CM patch is pretty easy to jump to the starter island now, so got a nice opportunity to shop there.

Damn, forgot this one was there too:

LOd3uJc.png

Oh well, it went down pretty fast, although I had more problems with the minions attacking me.

Just checked, bargaining with the full suit on is at 212.

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
Added text

Grand Invigoration will help you significantly, but what is going to benefit you the most is getting your power up and bolstering your defenses. I would stop putting points into Armor Lore and Bargaining and master each of the other skills beginning with Arrant Pyromancer Lore and Constitution and pump points into Intelligence. Then get enough points into Delphic Arcania Focus (should be thirty one) to mod Grand Invigoration and Expulse Magic and then master Arrant Pyromancer Focus to help raise the number of runes you can memorize and have a lower penalty. If you get Velaria's Garment to drop wear it! I like to forge in enough Chance To Halve Regeneration Time to get to 100% so that I can raise my Combat Art Skills high and still have fast regeneration. You need to develop a lot of power to take down mobs and bosses fast!

You could also stand to forge and wear more additional fire damage jewelry and some All Skills + if you can find them when shopping. After mastery, the Bargaining skill tapers off rapidly on its benefit relative to its raised level and that's why investing hard points into it is ill-advised. It takes numbers in the hundreds to really make much of a difference and if you have enough patience, shopping on The Island of Many Roads will still net results if you use bargaining + skills. You may want to forge a special "shopping suit" with All Skills + and Bargaining + and a separate suit for fighting and questing. God speed to you, good sir!

Revenge can be sweet, but also ironical!

Strange line to open a post, yeah, but all so true at the moment.

I decided to do the Empty Office Quest in Gold after all, as it would help me in platinum in case I get close to or just over level 100. Well, I got that level 100 before finishing the quest, which means I will have the better (read: strong) potions to start with.

But how ironical that not long before I reached the jungle region, my SB has increased enough to give me an eleven level difference. Even more ironical that one of the missing employees is located in the same cave the spider queen is. In fact, he's in the same room.

So there I was, wondering if I had to fight her again and if so, if I would be able to lure her out of the way long enough to give me an opportunity to talk to him. However, the moment that room came into sight, the spider queen had an exclamation mark over her head. Which meant I had to talk  to her to start the fight again! :yay:

So I talked to the employee, switched to Shadow Step, turned my camera so I would be able to jump out of the room, talked, pressed OK, jumped away and ran into the hallway as I know - from the vid Gogo posted -  that I would have a slightly better chance over there as fighting her in the room or dooropening.

First thing I did after that was switching to the Expulse Magic - Meteor Combo and cast that several times in a row. At that point she hadn't attacked me, but her first hit did remind me of switching my orbs to Magic ones as well. So it was hit space, and continuing casting the combo until she healed up one time. After that I realized that I would auto attack the spiders, but that would also mean I would give her a window to heal (and to cast spells against me). So I switched to the CA itself, kept casting  it on her until the Expulse Magic ran out, switched the combo and used that to keep any spider casts away from me. At some point I crossed her 2nd healing point and she didn't heal. Which was enough for me to once more switch to my meteors and keep spamming it. More important, it also gave me the time to do a screenshot, as I felt that even if she healed up in that small window, I'd be able to counter it again.

And of course, that was the time she had to cast some spiders, meaning I had once more to revert my spells, then do her more damage with the meteors, until I was very very very VERY certain she wouldn't pull another trick from her sleeve. Which she didn't, at least this time I had the chance:

EbN3aM0.png

Didn't take me long after that to kill her off and "harvest" my loot. Of course I do realize very well that I killed her when she was at the regions level cap, while I had in fact gained 5 levels; making her 3 levels below of what she could be.

m0tdC8L.png
But at the same time, her hit chances compared to mine are amazing. So I'm quite happy as I didn't just kill off  that dragon I didn't know was there, but also the nemesis of my journey through gold.

Now it's time to get the last 12 employees, before jumping to Altamark, as it seems I have forgotten about a quest in that region.

Just read it, nice! Don't think too highly about that chance to hit though, that stat is for weapons attacks and not for spells. Otherwise you wouldn't be hitting her at all. Spells "always hit" like someone once said/wrote, but the bluntness with which they hit is dependant on the "spell intensity vs spell resistance" factor that's calculated when you strike a foe. That's why investing points on INT as a mage is always a good idea. ;)

There's good news and bad news again today.

The good news, I finished the Epic Office Quest.

The bad news, I died. Again.
Yes, again.

Was distracted while in a fight in the machine hub, when looking for the last employee I wasn't able to find. Before I knew it, a couple of Temple Guardian bosses thrown their traps at me, a few of those Fen Fires cast their spells at me ( and I'm still not sure if they do only magic or only frost damage!) while several other temple guardians were trying to turn me into mince meat. So my healthbar did the same trick as that car hitting the concrete wall: from 100% to 0% in one second.

So, after the death (which was #12 on this char), I went on searching for that employee, found him eventually, jumped to Artamark and did the other quest at X-mas island. At least all of that was enough to give me another level plus enough SB to fight monsters 2-3 levels above me in Platinum.

Still, I'm wondering what to do now.

The way I see it, I got two options.

First: Do a full explore of the map in Platinum, do all quests available - including encountering that spider bitch - before moving to Niob.
Disadvantage: it will be long and boring to do that.
Advantage: I will level up quite a lot, which may be safer.

Or:

Doing the main quest, HE side quest and the Epic Office Quest in Platinum, then switch to Niob and do the full map exploring, all quests etc again at that one.
Disadvantage: I may enter Niob with an underpowered or underleveled character.
Advantage: Platinum will be shorter, I will avoid some of the more dreadful side quests, although I would need to do some quests to open certain area's for the Epic Office Quest.
IF I decide to take this route, I may consider downloading the Adornment of Nine Hells set as well as the set with that super resitance chest piece to be a bit prepared. Since that's only half of my equipment, everything else may still be depending at what I'm finding.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet.

I've been wondering a bit about what to do next with her. Given my experiences with Gold, I think she may be able to rush through Platinum, doing the main quest, personal quest and Epic Office Quest only. Yet, given the times she died and the troubles I had with her from time to time, I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to have her explore Platinum completely again; as that would help her level up and enter Niob stronger. However, at the same time, doing all  those explorations and quests would increase her SB and therefore having her ending up with higher - and most certainly - much stronger opponents in Niob as well.

The irony of all is, that this build was actually meant as support build for my DW-seraphim and my tripple buff Dryad, just like a Blacksmithing SW I created. Over time I discovered I had so much fun with all four builds, that I decided to level them all to Niob; but doing the same quests four times in a row got a bit boring. Still, with the seraphim and HE in platinum, the question remains: should I rush for Niob or not. :huh:

It's a bit of a predicament, but if you have the gear to back it up then sure, rush Platinum. The thing is, you're missing out on masteries, and that is important in terms of the power balance between your toon and mobs. So my advice would be that you could go half-way between the two options. Rush through the first few areas, since enemies and quests there aren't very optimal in terms of XP gain, and then start exploring and questing to further detail on regions that allow a better XP income, either by the quests themselves or the mobs you kill along their way. That way you can avert making "all those quests in all those areas" and at the same time you can still grind enough as to master some of the skills you need mastered.

I've been having a go at a SW since Bronze, ended it around lv.40 and then Silver around lv.80, both mainly by doing the main quest with a bit of grind on higher populated areas. Now I'm on Gold and I'm rushing it (lv.90 at the Swamp) because I've reached that threshold where the masteries come into play and the enemies can't have a proper go at me. So since there isn't much of a challenge right now I'm just going as fast as I can through the main quest while keeping an eye at my fifth mastery before entering Platinum. It's an important one because as a dual-wielder and with Tactics Lore, Dual Wield, Constitution and Armor Lore already mastered, having Toughness mastered as well before entering Platinum will definitely keep me alive. Then I can focus on happy questing while I increase my other skills like Damage Lore, Combat Discipline and Focus skills (poor Concentration never sees any points, ha ha).

So it will depend on your will but I'm guessing that the compromise I advised isn't too shabby of an alternative.

I agree with what Androdion just posted and his explanation of why is what you must carefully consider. You need to squeeze the squishiness, as it were, out of your High Elf before she takes on the unforgiving mobs and bosses in Niob. You will enjoy yourself more and relish in your accomplishment.