That moment when you encounter an overpowered boss.......

Looking at my skills, my guess is that there are at least 3 I need to master for now. Those are Pyro focus (atm at 43), Ancient Magic (26) and Concentration (47) as my intention was to run  this build with a 3rd buff (fire deamon for additional help) at higher difficulties. That's 109 skillpoints or 22 levels. If I want to master Pyro Lore (50) as well, I have to add another 5 levels before  that's mastered. Which also means I need to stop dropping points in all the other skills, including constitution (33).

Looking at that, I think that doing the main quest, personal quest and Epic Office quest (plus a few quests to unlock area's to pick up an employee) won't be enough to gain those skill points, so rushing to some area's to do full exploring and questing there seems to be the only option. And given my spell list, the Desert and most likely the Swamp will be the right area's for that. We'll see what happens up to then.

Right now I'm trying to figure out when the strong health potions unlock. Wiki doesn't show that info - or at least, I wasn't able to find it - and given the times this char has died, I may need them a lot sooner or later. Most likely sooner. :blush2:

Thorin :) 

I believe that Strong Health Potion begins dropping and may be purchased from Merchants at level 110. As far as mastering Concentration, it's your call of course, but I suggest mastering Constitution instead and wait for the third Buff until later in Niobium. The Fire Demon is only marginal help when compared to the devastating damage you will do when Pyromancer Lore and Focus are both mastered. That's what's going to protect you most from mobs and bosses because they can't harm you if you destroy them first. Perhaps you can think of the Fire Demon's companionship as a reward for achieving Niobium.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

I believe that Strong Health Potion begins dropping and may be purchased from Merchants at level 110. As far as mastering Concentration, it's your call of course, but I suggest mastering Constitution instead and wait for the third Buff until later in Niobium. The Fire Demon is only marginal help when compared to the devastating damage you will do when Pyromancer Lore and Focus are both mastered. That's what's going to protect you most from mobs and bosses because they can't harm you if you destroy them first. Perhaps you can think of the Fire Demon's companionship as a reward for achieving Niobium.

I remember how much I loved reading about the Fire Elf's CA's when the game first came out.  Hooyaah, your analysis of the demon's use in higher levels is great, and yah it's cool to have his companionship in higher levels :lol:

How cool would it have been if that Daemon could have pulled lets say a random fire effect in lets say once every x casts..or maybe even a polymorph sheep kinda thing?

:lol:

gogo

• Haha 1

Oh yeah, between mastering Pyro skills and having a third buff do master Pyro skills first. And Constitution, that's very important on a HE! Besides, how modified is the Demon buff anyway if so little points are spent in the Pyro skills? You might as well master them and grab enough points to fully modify the Demon buff before starting to use it. Any of those three skills is going to wield better practical results than raising Concentration, which "justs" decreases regen time. The Pyro skills do that, plus they raise damage, cast speed and highest CA level so it's a no brainer there. And Constitution mastery allows for much faster HP regen, which on a fragile HE is a must.

Just a minor update:

Did a long run yesterday to gain two levels, ending up at level 104, meaning I farmed about 10K in XP. Mostly by running from one Epic Office location to another, or to run to the main quest / personal quest locations, as well as by doing some of the other quests. Finished the Undead Legion quest that way - can use the sword on my DW 3-buff seraphim (which I need to review now as well) - plus the Easter Bunny quest and special mount quest, while I also put an end to the lives of the Grunwald Dragon and the Gar-Colossus.

So far I've been dropping in Pyro Lore (54 atm), Pyro Focus (46), Constitution (36) and Ancient Magic (29). With 5 points to apply at each level it's going to be slow, but at the same time I'm also able to give each skill a second point from time to time; making leveling them a bit easier.

When checking my Excel file, I saw the plan was to keep most of these skills at mastery, so at least the moment I get to that point with one of the skills, I got points left to be dropped in other ones. Still, for some it'll be a long way to go.

And to answer Hooyah's question about the demon specs; what I had in mind were Power, Lively and Modesty. However, these names are the old ones, so I will have to look at how they're named now.
And although I don't use it often - only occasionally when fighting inside a building - for Fireball I had planned to take Greek Fire, Globe and Fusilade. Once again, the old names, so will have to look those up as well.

And last - and least - I picked up some strong potions earlier which dropped from monsters killing eachother. Monster level was 113 at the time, so at least I am certain to get them when reaching level 110 myself. Not it's just a matter to get there.......

It's Important to pump all skill points into one skill to get it mastered and then on to the next; this will make a huge difference. I suggest an order of: Pyromancer Lore, then Focus, then Ancient Magic (it's a must in Niob or certain bosses resistant to fire damage may not be defeated) and of course Constitution next. As far as Ancestral Fire Ball it should be modded, Explosion (increases area of effect for small mobs), Globe (more fire damage), and Hot Pursuit, because if the ball of fire misses what the heck good is it?

Is your Combat Art Renewal time increased enough that the interval of Incendiary Shower and Blazing Tempest is between 1.2 and 1.5 seconds. If not quit eating runes or socket chance to halve regeneration time to 100% and no less than 99%. Then you can "memorize" many more runes and increase your firepower (pun intended). Insofar as the "Fire Monkey" (demon), modding it depends on how you modded Grand Invigoration. Did you Gold Mod it to Resilience to mitigate detrimental Magical Effects? By the time you get the other more crucial Skills Mastered you'll know what to do as far as modding your Fire Demon pal.

Very small update:

Made a typo in my previous post. The level of my HE wasn't 103, but 105 and is 106 by now. I got to the swamp at the moment and for the first time in a while I'm getting decent (3-5K on normal, doube on champions) XP from my kills. Progress of the Epic Office quest goes well, next one will give me a lot of XP, as he's located at the swamp dragon. After that it's off to my next spot of the Main Quest, the area where you need to pick those anti-miasma flowers. Oh, I don't think I mentioned this, but my HE is following the dark path, so occasionally she misses out on XP as that path skips some fights.

Either way, progress is going well. I dropped all points in Pryro Lore, as suggested by Hooyaah, and increased damage of the meteors to a bit over 4K each. I do have to admit that when seeing how well the tempest kills things, as it's full fire, the choice of going physical with the meteors was a wrong move. But since we don't have respec in this game, I've got to live with it. Still got some backup spells for mobs or single opponents and bosses went down with the meteor so far. May take a bit longer, but eventually they go down. And with over 100 potions in stock (I always keep a full stock and one filling up), there is a good chance I will survive fights. (Says the one who's HE got killed 12 times now. :D:D:D:D:D )

Oh well, first the swamp desert, then finding the rest of the employees located in the swamp, finishing the personal quest in the swamp and heading to the desert to farm XP as it's one of the best area's for the tempest spell. After that, jungle and perhaps off to the icy area when Jungle is done. I haven't been in the icy area yet, so I may do questing and exploring there to kill two birds with one stone. But first, a dragon............. :woot:

• Like! 1

I recall the first time that I first discovered that "secret" winding pathway to the swamp dragon. It's one on those paths that make the game so interesting and rewarding. Incendiary Shower is the best medicine for that reclusive wyrm because it does physical damage as well as fire. Blazing Tempest is perfect for mobs if you can get the wave intervals to where you can see three flowing outward at a time. The aggravating thing is that a small rock or other seemingly insignificant obstruction can disrupt its smooth symmetry, protecting a foe shielded behind it. In the Crystal Plane you should avoid the Narmul. He's a wicked and resilient beastie and only quick wits and Expulse Magic will save the High Elf from death from ruthless Spell Damage.

It's good to hear news of the positive progress of your "naughty" elven lass. Godspeed in directing her way, good sir!

:viking:

• Like! 1
On 1/30/2019 at 7:47 AM, Thorin Oakshield said:

Very small update:

Made a typo in my previous post. The level of my HE wasn't 103, but 105 and is 106 by now. I got to the swamp at the moment and for the first time in a while I'm getting decent (3-5K on normal, doube on champions) XP from my kills. Progress of the Epic Office quest goes well, next one will give me a lot of XP, as he's located at the swamp dragon. After that it's off to my next spot of the Main Quest, the area where you need to pick those anti-miasma flowers. Oh, I don't think I mentioned this, but my HE is following the dark path, so occasionally she misses out on XP as that path skips some fights.

Either way, progress is going well. I dropped all points in Pryro Lore, as suggested by Hooyaah, and increased damage of the meteors to a bit over 4K each. I do have to admit that when seeing how well the tempest kills things, as it's full fire, the choice of going physical with the meteors was a wrong move. But since we don't have respec in this game, I've got to live with it. Still got some backup spells for mobs or single opponents and bosses went down with the meteor so far. May take a bit longer, but eventually they go down. And with over 100 potions in stock (I always keep a full stock and one filling up), there is a good chance I will survive fights. (Says the one who's HE got killed 12 times now. :D:D:D:D:D )

Oh well, first the swamp desert, then finding the rest of the employees located in the swamp, finishing the personal quest in the swamp and heading to the desert to farm XP as it's one of the best area's for the tempest spell. After that, jungle and perhaps off to the icy area when Jungle is done. I haven't been in the icy area yet, so I may do questing and exploring there to kill two birds with one stone. But first, a dragon............. :woot:

On 1/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, Hooyaah said:

I recall the first time that I first discovered that "secret" winding pathway to the swamp dragon. It's one on those paths that make the game so interesting and rewarding. Incendiary Shower is the best medicine for that reclusive wyrm because it does physical damage as well as fire. Blazing Tempest is perfect for mobs if you can get the wave intervals to where you can see three flowing outward at a time. The aggravating thing is that a small rock or other seemingly insignificant obstruction can disrupt its smooth symmetry, protecting a foe shielded behind it. In the Crystal Plane you should avoid the Narmul. He's a wicked and resilient beastie and only quick wits and Expulse Magic will save the High Elf from death from ruthless Spell Damage.

It's good to hear news of the positive progress of your "naughty" elven lass. Godspeed in directing her way, good sir!

:viking:

Guys you both made my cafe Sunday lunch here so satisfying

Thanks for the great prose and satisfying reads... those first times in both your situations for me were just as enjoyable 

:D

gogo

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Guys you both made my cafe Sunday lunch here so satisfying

Thanks for the great prose and satisfying reads... those first times in both your situations for me were just as enjoyable 

:D

gogo

Isn't that what  this forum is about too?

Sacred, Sacred 2 and Skyrim got a special place in my heart. The first because it was not only the first RPG I played, but also the one I played in MP after having a disastrous encounter with a cheater in another game. It was the game that showed me that there's a very good community among the HC players - even after the problems with Clan RUS - where players were able to help new players or killed players out with money and items.

I was involved in Sacred 2 when it was develloped and regretted it when it was basically slaughtered by Deep Silver; seeing how much potential it had and still has. Check the comments at the Steam forum, lots of players tell how beautiful the game is; while almost a similar amount complain about being unable to run a 32 bit game at a 64 bit OS. :D

Looking back at Sacred 2, I think it was in fact ahead of its time. Something that got proven with Diablo 3; which has a bit of the same atmosphere. Yet, despite all that, I never liked D3 much.  Basically because the autionhouse made it pay to win.

Skyrim gave me a similar feeling as Sacred 2 did. It looked great, it felt great gameplay wise and you were able to acomplish great things in it. I got the same feeling about ESO too, btw; although I haven't played both games in a while now.

Yet, Sacred 2 is special. Even now, 10 years after its release and doing the light and shadow campain on two different characters, I discover new things. Not big things, but small details, like the placement of items near one of the NPC's of the main campaign, which after looking at it from different angles could be an easter egg. The known "Don't feed the trolls!" sign in the Orc territory, the "Don't eat the yellow snow!" sign at X-mas island. Both are known, but I keep enjoying them every time I see them. Not to mention, all the references to other games, tv-shows, movies, bands, books, players! (including Scot, Gogo and some other members of this forum) and last but not least; all the player made comments they collected at the International Sacred Forum; it all shows a level of dedication and detail I haven't seen in any other RPG so far.

Despite; or perhaps because of that, I never managed  to get a character over level 110. I got a Seraphim who's close and this HE is going to be the second one. At least in Sacred: Underworld I managed to get several chars over level 110 and even one up to level 170 before the servers shut down. So I do have a goal with Sacred 2 and that's not only getting a char in niob, but getting 4 of my chars in Niob, the HE being the first.

It will take me some time, but eventually I'll mange. And while doing that, I'll try to keep you entertained a bit with what I'm doing, asking for advise and then ignoring most of it if I don't like it, just to realize 5 levels later that the advise was solid after all. :D

• Like! 1

Yesterday I went by a location that I always go by, only to discover that if I cross it instead of going along it there's an automatically triggered chain quest. So I share the sentiment, ten years in and still having fun and finding stuff.

One of the platinum goals is reached: I managed to get to level 110 today; so the slightly better potions are now available. Still, with all the normal potions I got, I think I'll use those for the time being.

So far the Crystal plains are easier as I thought they would be. When facing the level 123 monsters with my level 109 Pyro HE, I was often killing them in one or two meteor casts. Champions too longer, but not real worrying longer. Only time I had a hard time, was when I was fighting 5 champions at once, while being near one of those enchanted crystals and a Dracolin (dragonfly); as those two did magic - and thus weakening - damage, compared to the ice damage of the rest.

XP-wise the game is getting harder. Not just because the amount I need for next level; but more as I got the feeling the XP is slowly dropping. Perhaps it's just the region, but so far the normal monsters gave me between 1.8-3.3K and champions gave me between 3.6-5.4K. Fortunately there are mentor potions and although I'm not a big fan of those - higher XP from kills means getting less SB as you need to fight less to get your required XP - I decided to use them to get to level 110 anyway.

The Campaign goal and thus moving to niob is almost finished. All  that's left for me is doing the Wastelands, but I may head back to some other area's to do quests and farming XP. I haven't made up my mind about it, but if mastering Pyro Focus is a pre, I will need 4 more levels before that's done. And  that can only be done with quests and exploring. Still, since I got the Epic Office quest still open I will need to "explore" a bit of the wastelands anyway. Not to mention to get there will help me getting more XP as well. So with that in mind, getting one and perhaps more levels should be possible.
Especially since I've done about half of the Crystal region. Which means there's still more to do, there's the X-mas island quest as well, so I do have some opportunities to get nice XP, great items and - hopefully not! - possible deaths.

Oh and as for screenshots, even in the Crystal region you can get those good looking ones.
This one's taken while she was wearing her bargaining suit and decided to smash some of those Crystals near "The Old Camp", as they float nicely in the sky after being destroyed

kaJ6Yd4.png

And Hooyaah, question: Do you level any skill beyond mastery, or are you simply aiming to master all?

Enemies on the Crystal Planes provide notoriously less XP than on other higher level regions, but the enemy density is quite bigger in comparison, so my guess is that it evens out eventually. Plus you have a lot of quests, and once you go deeper into the region you'll find some undead and some mini-Facetalleons that give better XP. The area nearing Narnuil's lair is a nice place for grinding XP. And it makes sense for a Pyro Elf to dominate on that region since it's mostly an icy one, but beware because a lot of enemies have physical/poison and physical/magic resistances and damage so not everything is icy. ;) If you want a great place to grind in the Wastelands do the following; start at the harbour and head over until you reach the first monolith with the merchant near it. You'll have to cross over a bridge and you can see a great deal of demons below that bridge. Now the trick is this, cast Shadow Step and target the spot below the bridge, you'll see your HE is suddenly down there in the middle of them. There are a lot of enemies there so beware, but once you've dealt with them you can travel back and forth that path and you'll basically do a perpendicular path to the one you do over the bridges while doing the path of the main quest. That path below the bridge runs for a long way so you can grind a lot of XP there. I think you can easily do 1 million there, so that's that. When you get over that just teleport back to the monolith and keep going your way.

Answering your question to Hooyaah, at first it's important to master the skills to have the mastery bonus kick in, then if you really need them to be of a higher level you can do it. But the point is that there's a big jump when you go from 74 to 75 hard points on a skill, the same not being exactly so from 75 to 76 as the payback is considerably smaller. So I think that first and foremost it's important to reach mastery on the essential skills of the build and afterwards start pumping those two or three specific ones that will always come in handy (extra points in Constitution/Toughness for added HP/armor at levels 150+ for instance). The only reason to no not stop at mastery level at first is that you absolutely need to keep the skill at character level, either because you're a bargainer/blacksmith/etc or because you need those modification points for a fourth or fifth CA right away. Other than that it's 75 first and then we'll see.

• Like! 1

Thank you Androdion for the answer. @Thorin Oakshield, yes do master each of them in the order that I posted before; I suggest that you use "All Skills +x" afterward to boost them further. That way you can master your defensive skills too instead of putting points into your offensive skills. There is a certain diminishing returns effect with each additional point after mastery of skills. Later you can master Concentration and pump more into Bargaining. Niob is no cake walk, so you need to be powerful and protected. Keep up the great work!

Small update (again)

I cleared the Crystal region and it was fun to do. Encountered two bosses and both went down, although the one holding that Seraphim captive was a lot harder as that fire based turtle. Which I found a bit surprising, considering I'm using a Pyro Elf. Eventually ended up at the Phoenix, didn't have much problems with the frozen monsters it released, but  that flying spawn of it nearly killed me. I had the luck I used the special mount, thus that one died first. And seeing I didn't even scratch that bugger, I felt ther was no need to continue fighting it. Especially not on foot.
So..........
...........I decided to fle......... execute the "Forrest Gump movement" as fast as I could after loosing my special mount, so it was F8 to teleport to the nearest resurrection stone. Decided to head to he Bloodforest afterwards - with a slight detour over special mount island - and am having fun there for now. XP over there is a lot better, but the LL some of the monsters have is maddening once in a while. I've had occasions in which I lost 90% of my health because of 3-4 of those attacks.

Yet, Blazing Tempest is king there, as long as there isn't anything obstructing the arc. Meteors are great eye-killers as long as I see them before they see me (pun not intended) and given most monsters are vunerable to fire, things are ok. At least I got to the level of Bilbo's Birthday and with SB still giving me +15 on monster level, I'm also starting to find items above my level. Which in a way is nice too, as some will certainly benefit my DW seraphim.

So the plans: Blood Forest for as much as possible. I know there's one nasty boss in it near the end and I think one of the quests will put me up with one of the mages that started that war in the first place.
Wastelands and farming XP in the canyons after that. Hopefully it'll be enough to get the required 2-3 levels for mastering Pyro Focus; which is currently at level 62; but somehow I doubt it. If not, I'll see what I do next. Up to now I'm having fun and eventually that's what matters most. :D

If you're using Superspawn I believe those spots are more than enough to get those levels to Pyro Focus Mastery. I mean, the canyons alone can grant what, a million XP?! :D

So you went after Narnuil thinking it would be easy? Oh mate, it is not in the slightest bit! First you need to destroy the four (are there four really?!) crystal formations that feed it, and only then should you procede into damaging it directly. All of this while averting that icy Dragon strike and its icy meteor shower, both of which are absolutely deadly! The trick is to keep moving around, time those two attacks and then start dropping all you've got on that beast. Rinse and repeat. It's not easy and if you make a wrong movement during one of those deadly attacks you're in the Dead Zone. ;) But it's possible to kill Narnuil, you just can't stay in the same place for too long.

The Blood Forest had a lot of XP to grind, a huge (yet convoluted) main quest, and deadly enemies abound. Be wary of the red eyes more so than the blue ones. Sure, the blue ones already hit for LL, but the red ones?! Sheesh... Even my BFG seraphim had a few redlines with those... They're mostly in the northern part of that region though, mainly after that field of construct soldiers. Add to that those elite Harbingers of Death that spawn a ton of smaller imps and you're in trouble really fast! And if not for anything else, do beware of the Abishai. The trick is pretty much the same as with Narnuil, you need to keep moving around, except that where Narnuil drops Area of Effect attacks the Abishai drops traps. You know how the elite Temple Guardians in the Wasteland drop deadly traps? It's worse. Plus he has an aura of LL as well, you'll see it as a red cloud around it, so stay as far away as you can then time the traps and keep moving around. Drop everything you have in between, but like with Narnuil don't get greedy as one wrong move and you'll find your HP going "bam bam, bum" just like that.

And of course, having fun is paramount! :thumbsup:

Having fun to me is successfully defeating a boss monster such as the Narmul. Expulse Magic and Shadow Step help a significant amount. You will be better prepared after you master the aforementioned skills, Pyromancer Lore and Focus. Skill Resistance and Constitution will be very helpful when mastered, yet if you do not slay his four crystals and then him quickly defensive skills may not serve you long enough to survive. Surviving and fighting yet another day is fun as well. You may enjoy this video, presented as indisputable proof that the High Elf can handily defeat this terrible foe, even without Grand Invigoration:

• Like! 1
9 hours ago, Androdion said:

Why do I keep calling the ice phoenix "Narnuil" when it's "Narmul"?! :4rofl:

I don't know, my friend. But don't worry, I suppose it's relatively Narmul normal, though.

What level of difficulty were you playing? Are you wearing any mod?

19 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Having fun to me is successfully defeating a boss monster such as the Narmul. Expulse Magic and Shadow Step help a significant amount. You will be better prepared after you master the aforementioned skills, Pyromancer Lore and Focus. Skill Resistance and Constitution will be very helpful when mastered, yet if you do not slay his four crystals and then him quickly defensive skills may not serve you long enough to survive. Surviving and fighting yet another day is fun as well. You may enjoy this video, presented as indisputable proof that the High Elf can handily defeat this terrible foe, even without Grand Invigoration:

13 hours ago, Androdion said:

That must be his ubber twinked elf with 600+ in each skill. ;)

If you notice, she's wearing Faladal's Blizzard; there's not a plethora of slots for forging there. I used amulets with chance to halve regeneration time to 100%, rings with additional ice and physical damage, and a few of those had some points to boost skills and combat arts too. It's easy to find all of those with a bit of shopping. The secret (I'm not giving them all away here) is that you can boost power by memorizing more runes when your regeneration time is halved. Glimborin's Garments of Mutation does offer a lot more slots for forging and may help make the High Elf a demigod. For more information just visit the High Elf Builds and look for my Single Buff Mystic Stormite Build.

I use the High Elf with Glimborin's Garments of Mutation and the stacked All Skills Plus for shopping only. That's how I was able to find the Powerful Pendants, Diamond Sets, and such that may be found in the downloads section.

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, vagnerhammer said:

What level of difficulty were you playing? Are you wearing any mod?

I was playing on Niobium at level 124 with just the CM Patch 150 and Elite Textures.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since last update, so here I go again...

*waits for most readers to run away*

Right. To get one thing straight, I didn't enter the fight with Narmul, thinking it would be "easy". English may not be my native language, but I have read several times this fight would be a hard one. And seeing who wrote those warnings and knowing the amount of top level chars that person made, I'd be a fool to ignore those warnings.Thus I went into it with one thumb at the spacebar and one finger at F8 to teleport to the nearest ressurrection stone if that was needed. And it was needed, so I was glad I had made my preparations.

Anyway....

...things are progressing well so far. I managed to get two more levels and with Blood Forest for about 50-60% done, I will gather enough XP to gain another level; which should boost my Pyro Focus to mastery and even have me drop some points in constition (currently 38) or Ancient Magic (currently 30).
Both will be beneficial to me, as one would give me the health points to survive longer, while the other will give me the more damage to make faster skills. So I may even consider dropping a point in both as mastery is far away for either skill anyway.

Fighting has been fun so far, although I've been hitting tge spacebar more as in the previous fights. And surprisingly not because of encountering unique bosses or champions and not even because of those eyes, but more because of a combination of several damage types combined. One of those were the Harbinger of Death with their physical / magic damage combined with their servants doing poison damage. But usually it was a combination of being rooted by spiders, harbingers, servants and flaming horses. Meaning I had to deal with 3 (or 4, depending at how you look at it) of the 4-5 damage types. Fortunately, I do have blazing tempest and it's really a blessing, simply because I managed to get this spell doing enough damage that a lot or even all of the monsters are dead shortly before or after they reach me. And this spell is a great weapon vs the eyes too, as you're able to destroy them before they get to you. Which is very useful with the yellow eyes, as they got that nasty cooldown reset, making it impossible to cast spells. Oh well, they're called "Mages Curse" for a reason. ;) 

So, right now I'm at the 3rd waystone, starting to do another load of quests for the zombies. I've defeated Dijaana's hellhound, defeated the archaeologist and even gave him his memory back. From memory I think I got about 75% of the quests in that area done. And I still have to fight the endboss. Which will be done similar as fighting Narmul, one thumb at the spacebar and a finger at F8. Some may call it cowardice, some may call it smart. For me, it's just a way to make sure this lady enters Niob with her SB at the highest possible level. :)