Home AI - Google Mini, Amazon Alexa... anyone got this yet?

gogoblender

I actually picked up a few of the google Home Mini's for me at home and for my family. Everyone's actually loved the tech and how it quickly got used regularly. I dont even know how I got by in fact without the magical ability to call out and have the gods activate a timer for me and now am smitten with the of having AI in every room here so that I can just speak, access and ask questions..kind of like Star Trek where they call out "Computer"...but this is happening now 
Has anyone here picked up some of these devices? I've been really happy with the choice of Google for me, as I use a lot of their products for online working and always get a kick how google is able to discern tween different voices... for example if my cousin calls out and asks " Hey google who am I" ..it answers his name and if I do it I'll be answered accordingly. Loved actually going down to Ontario to visit this family for Christmas and being able to just call out to Google to call the nearest Pizza place near by and have them prepare food for pick up...
magical!

:)

gogo

My mother language is not supported ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manisch

When I am at home I refuse to change from our regional slang (Hessian) to 'high german' just to have an AI understand me. How useful is an intelligent refrigerator if you don't know how many people will eat at your place the next week and every delivery service is refusing to drive to our place because of mud roads.

I think the current home AI systems are for singles or very small households in towns. Imagine a pack of kids speaking to the AI the same moment. Chaos chaos chaos

6 hours ago, chattius said:

When I am at home I refuse to change from our regional slang (Hessian) to 'high german' just to have an AI understand me. How useful is an intelligent refrigerator if you don't know how many people will eat at your place the next week and every delivery service is refusing to drive to our place because of mud roads.

I think the current home AI systems are for singles or very small households in towns. Imagine a pack of kids speaking to the AI the same moment. Chaos chaos chaos

I never thought about how it could be very limited re large families... but what an adorable challenge! :heart: Well... for smart homing, I think we're all getting more and more surprised at how it can just leap in and help use be more productive..

I was surprised at how easily it can make phone calls, accesses all my google contacts and how it can easily discern tween all the dif voices so easily... and the timers... zomgod, once you start setting timers, its like you didnt know how to live life without them

As I live in an apartment, im always concerned about fires... so I have gotten into this amazing habit of always turning a timer on each time I use the stove, especially for what I thought to be "easy" things like boiling water.. now  no matter what I just set a timer for x amount of minutes... so that no matter what I get a reminder that the stove was used

:D

gogo

I have a couple at home although only one is setup at the moment, but my girlfriend and I find it very useful for shopping lists, timers, playing music and more.

We've moved house in the last couple of months and with a busy Christmas period I haven't got everything running properly yet, but before moving (and once it's all setup again) we can also use it for controlling our chromecasts (e.g. "Ok Google start playing show X in the loungeroom" or similar) without having to turn on the TV etc. ourselves - it's all done by google (which I'll admit is a little lazy...).

I also have a google home mini and amazon echo spot for the study, but the study is a bit of a mess and is definitely not setup properly since the move!

I use timers all the time at work, otherwise I forget things in the oven... but on the stove, very seldom. Things still boil over, but never burns on the stove. For that reason I love using the one portable induction stove in the pastry kitchen, so I can stand next to the stove and measure the rest of the ingredients out, while keeping an eye on the cream/milk etc...

On 1/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, chattius said:

Hmmm I guess you’d have to enter into the fridge next weeks visitors and have it come up with a menu that u can order? And btw ... Amazon home has a ai toilet now that glows blue and stuff 

😎

gogo

Kids often invite classmates without a big pre-warning. Depends on the weather, frozen pond at it is skating at our place. Cloudy and it is shoping in the mall.... So we had times when my wife and me were alone and times when we had 20 kids at after school dinner.

• 4 weeks later...

Oof. I have sort of an aversion of these things. I read an article today that pretty much supported my gut feeling: you pay with your privacy, and with a lot more privacy one would expect. And the last thing I want is a device in my home actually listening 24/7. So you do you, me do me :crazy:

For reference: Gizmodo article

Edited by Timotheus
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Timotheus said:

Oof. I have sort of an aversion of these things. I read an article today that pretty much supported my gut feeling: you pay with your privacy, and with a lot more privacy one would expect. And the last thing I want is a device in my home actually listening 24/7. So you do you, me do me :crazy:

For reference: Gizmodo article

By simply clicking on the link in your post I enumerated no less than eighteen separate trackers spying on me! :twitch:

:secret:

• Like! 1

Gonna get a mini for my Mom down in the states.  I've gotten so used to using a Timer now then using the stove.  Old building, lots of wood,... :oooo:

It also makes for an awesome new broadcaster in the morning

:D

gogo